View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Given it the beans

on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 pm

EffEff post over on the reviews forum reminded me. I'm usually giving it the beans. The car has only a 1.6 motor and this thing feels heavy. So it's often pedal mashed to the metal especially in 5th. The acceleration is so leisurely I have the display on instant economy the higher the number the more litres per 100 kms. I know then I'm accelerating faster. Also I read the manual things like the air conditioning shut off if you are pedal to the metal. So it becomes the norm for accelerating in 4th or 5th.

Enjoying in a "I am the monster" kind of way.

View user profile

Re: Given it the beans

on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:41 pm
It'd be quicker if you paint it blue, cover it in stickers and fit gold wheels
View user profile

on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm

It's really a sleeper.. that is quite sleepy.

View user profile

on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:08 pm
Is trading it in completely out of the question? Treat yourself to something turbocharged. Wink

6 of the 7 cars I've owned have been turbocharged (1 petrol, 5 diesel) and I really couldn't see myself going back to a car with a naturally-aspirated engine - they just feel flat to me, although I suppose some people might prefer the smoother, more linear power delivery. Personally, I love the torque and 'oomph' you get from a turbo once it's on-boost. I often go pedal-to-the-metal in my 1.5dCi Laguna, and it keeps up with traffic fine, but does give you a good shove when the turbo kicks in in 2nd gear. Smile
View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 am
I've had a real mixture of turbo and non-turbo ...

Turbo - Punto(diesel), TT, Mini Cooper S, M118i
Non-turbo - Alfa, V6A3, Elise, Mini, 911 (mayaswell be mine)..

and given the choice I'd choose non-turbo .... they are so much more responsive, and the power delivery is arguably more exciting, with real top ends, less to go wrong too - however !!!! This is only on the basis you buy proper cars ... which means expensive purchase and running costs .... which isn't always viable or preferable ...

Turbo are a cheap and effective fix to add power ... but money no object, I'd go normally aspirated every time ....
View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:25 am
Trade it in... I had my last car 14 years. I tend to live with the problems.

Yeah talking with my colleague who used to have a tubro Audi and a non turbo BMW he said the non turbo engines are better. They rev more and if you have the variable valves (I don't know if I have those or not) they just get more powerful the more rev's you give them. The turbo's tend not to work at higher rev's or something. Not that I really have experience.

View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 am
I've been in 6-cylinder BMWs and 4-cylinder Honda VTECs that haven't been turbocharged and have been lovely and smooth and delivered power well - I just find turbocharged cars have more accessible power/performance, probably because of the wave of torque lower down in the rev range, and the revs tend to get 'thrown up' once a turbo kicks in.

Vauxhall show how to do a good turbo engine and bad naturally-aspirated engine - drove a new Astra 1.6CDTI 136PS at work, very punchy and responsive (it even had a Sport button!!); I've also driven the 1.6 115PS in Astras and Mokkas, very mildy torquey low down in the rev range but reluctant to rev and delivers very little extra power at high revs, plus they're thirsty. It's probably the engines being restricted for emissions regulations though as the 1.4 in the old old Astra was quite lively.
View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm
I like a turbo diesel or petrol. George has no turbo, but with 4 litres of V8 power, I can't complain. I do not like a non turbo'd diesel because they tend to be sluggish...

That's all pirat
View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:08 pm
Mine could be a normally aspirated diesel... Sad

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum