View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Turbo Runaways...

on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 pm
Was watching some you tube video's of runaways and have come up with an obvious fix.

Clever people service their cars regularly, so a runaway diesel engine is a very rare thing. They are normally caused by shite oil, build up of carbon on the rotor shaft and this eventually leads to the oil getting into the high pressure side of the turbo (the bit that pumps air into the engine). When this happens, the hot oil is runny and can ignite if compressed. So, when it ends up in the inlet manifold, it is then sucked into the engine via the inlet valves and acts just like diesel. So it is not metered and the engine gets more & more and ends up screaming it's nuts off until the sump runs dry, then the engine seizes.

This is of course, catastrophic.

But imagine this happens while driving...in an automatic Shocked

She takes off and you have no way to shut off the engine. All you can do are brake, into neutral and get oot!

However, I have an easy fix. Cut the high pressure oil feed pipe and install a simple tap so in the event of a runaway, you just turn it off. Turbo already knackered, but engine saved Very Happy

Who wants to back my idea Cool
View user profile

Re: Turbo Runaways...

on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm
Actually, this would be better...

http://www.chalwyn.com/products/air-intake-shut-down-valves/electric/product/453/svr-2xx-compact-butterfly-valves

If it starts to runaway, you shut off the ignition and the valve closes, strangling airflow. Job done.
View user profile

on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm
This is the issue that Lord Antmat identified with the Renault Laguna is it not?

View user profile

on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm
hugh121 wrote:This is the issue that Lord Antmat identified with the Renault Laguna is it not?

Well, the Laguna and derivatives were subject to this due to the ludicrous service interval (18,000 miles if I recall correctly). But it's mostly ignorance and greed that kills an engine. Lack of oil changes allows build up of crud and as it gets thinner, it loses it's lubricating ability.

Pretty much any turbo diesel car has the ability to become a runaway if it isn't serviced properly.

The irony is, that valve I linked, is a strangler...that is how they would shut off diesel engines of old! Progress my arse Rolling Eyes
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum