View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Trying out a Diesel

on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:44 pm
I had an interesting morning - one of the other members of a Jag forum lives just down the road and has never been in a S/C V8 Jag XF. He has a 3L Derv S - 275BHP machine.

I took him out for a drive, a mixture of A roads and a bit of the M5. He said at the time how refined the V8 felt (even as a passenger). Unfortunately there was a little rain as we left ensuring "silly" throttle manipulation was out. Still managing 3/4 throttle he said how much faster it is.

I also had a passenger trip in his V6 3.0D Sport. Not too tractor like at idle and in gear loads of torque (about 15% more than my V8). The main difference is down to revs - mine redlines at 6250, his at 4250. But by then his is out of puff, so really 4000 is the point of change. The diesel is a fab cruiser and averages about 42, with 49 on a motorway run. Mine does 22/28 in similar conditions.....

On paper his takes about 0.8 seconds longer to 60mph, 4.5 secs longer to 100. It's all in the revs.

The other main difference is the noise. He really wants a V8 now! It's amazing how quickly you get used to a car. I remember when I collected it how scared I was as the throttle response was more sensitive than the Saab. Now 420 bhp feels normal. Time for a shorter S/C pulley and remap?!

Admin
View user profile

Re: Trying out a Diesel

on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 pm
as long as you don't buy the diesel

View user profile

on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm
Hugh,

What is the IMPORTANT acceleration time comparison - between 50 and 70mph?

As you know - I am petrol on the X and it is quick enough for me...but my Citroen diesels could shaft my Citroen petrols in the overtaking zone...plus I enjoyed giving the boys a puff of smoke as I waved to them.

VFC

PS - It is not always the car - I fecked two less observant punters this afternoon at roundabouts when bringing Mary home from Hospital...in the MATIZ...one liter petrol...first a dumb wummin in a Merc - second a young clown in a blue Mondeo...no charge for the lessons!
View user profile

on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:57 pm
The thing is the petrol massive engine cars eat the fuel and for some reason, I don't know what, the massive engine diesels don't eat the fuel.

Anyhow my puny engine petrol, doesn't eat much fuel, but I don't think it has any torque at all.

That's a really good comparison though.

View user profile

on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 pm
vanfancooler wrote:Hugh,

What is the IMPORTANT acceleration time comparison - between 50 and 70mph?

As you know - I am petrol on the X and it is quick enough for me...but my Citroen diesels could shaft my Citroen petrols in the overtaking zone...plus I enjoyed giving the boys a puff of smoke as I waved to them.

VFC

PS - It is not always the car - I fecked two less observant punters this afternoon at roundabouts when bringing Mary home from Hospital...in the MATIZ...one liter petrol...first a dumb wummin in a Merc - second a young clown in a blue Mondeo...no charge for the lessons!

I've had a number of diesels (including the Renault Master van!) - in gear they are brilliant. The mid range pull in the Jag is very good indeed - due to the S/charger I expect. Was the same with the Saabs I had.

50-75 (80-120kph) SV8 3.2s / 3.0D S 4.5s (560nM / 600Nm torque)

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum