View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

I drove a......

on Sun May 07, 2017 9:12 pm
Went kinda wanting to drive the 458. Once there, i saw there were 2 red coupes..and one white spider. I didn't like the look of the white spider as much. Sounds picky. ..but with such a sight of supercars...the 458 spider in white...I dunno. There were also 3 new Mclaren 570s, they looked fab....was very tempted. ..in hindsight. ....well...hindsight is a great thing...

But then...the Huracan..as pictured..just looks wonderful. I know looks mean naff all...but the allure was strong. Then, the booking in woman at the front of the queue kinda said ' you were for the Aventador...so you'll be going for the Huracan, yes?!' In a kind of 'you ARE doing this, aren't you?' way.....so I said yes.

It was also the one the Lel had originally booked for me...so it seemed right.

A rather old instructor called Malcolm called me over (all the others were like

..really young 'trendy' lads but my Malcolm looked about 60 and had a face that looked like itd been dragged around the track a few times. He was nice enough though and quite clear in his instruction. 

The car itself is very small and low down. It's like...I dunno. Bigger than an MX5 of course..but like..I dunno. It's not a big car.

Slid down into it..adjusted seat electrically. It didn't go low enough. I had it at the lowest position and my head was still brusing the roof. I had to adopt a kind of..stooping posture. So straight away..that wasn't great.

Nice small chunky steering wheel.

Funky interior with nice central start button under a red flap. Totally daft and all just...theatre..but nice. 

May I point out that the interior wad made of no better matrials than any normal 20k car. But. .it was kinda. .bespoke looking I suppose. But not high quality.

Start up. ..engine barks into life..sounds great. The little window behind the seats was opened a bit so engine noise was easy to hear. 

Set to manual mode...and paddles became..manual. very quick changes although no quicker or smoother than a regular DSG.

One had to..do as instructed. So like..I couldn't floor the car from a standstill..or rev it all the way up. Revs to approx 8.5k but I'd guess the highest i revved was to 6k ish. Performance when moving was strong. Satisfyingly quick..but not....shockingly quick. Again...because like...everything was kinda..controlled. changed gear when he said...braked when he said, floored it when he said. So..I wasn't using all of the power and grip of the car. It was fast, far faster than I could or would drive on the road...but still controlled. The guys were very strict that there were no shenanigans.

So, did it feel like 603bhp car? No!

Did it feel like the quickest car I've ever driven? Probably yes. But not obviously so.

I remember having more of a shocked feeling in the less powerful (420ps) 4.2 R8 9 years ago. But.... I've driven quite a few fastish cars since then. So like. ..I suppose what I'm saying is...it didn't blow me away. It was satisfying...and I wanted to push it more...but the acceleration didn't shock or scare me at all.

Probably did around 120mph at the fastest points, which doesn't sound amazing..but would be about as high as i could have gotten in this particular instruction and layout.

I got an in car video done...which was £25. The visual and audio quality is poor. ..and the graphic that shows the speed stays at zero all the time. So something hasn't worked. I'm going to complain about this and see if they can do anything about it. I don't know if they could though...as I assume the actual car or some kind of GPS thing should have been relaying that to the vid...but it didn't.  If you look for 'everyman racing' on YouTube and watch the guy driving the lambo vid...That's what I SHOULD have gotten...but I didn't.  So I'm going to see if I can get a refund.

Overall though...it was great. 

Very very much sales orientated though. Always offering extra upgrades stuff for more money.

Anyway, sounds like I'm having a downer. .I'm not. ..it was great and very fun!

I just think...since my last track experience...I've driven more cars...so.the illusion of speed and acceleration has like...become more normal to me.

Also...the track (on an airfield) was extremely wide and long...so you didn't feel like you were getting to the extremities quickly. A normal.sized road would likely be very different.

What it has taught me also is....A Huracan may not make my lottery winning list...as I can't really fit into it....
View user profile

Re: I drove a......

on Sun May 07, 2017 9:24 pm
Goo review Crisps

The Hurrican sounds like it's made more for people my height Very Happy

I've done 2 track days and I wouldn't be rushing back, fast cars are nice but you do want some element of control yourself. Having said that a trip round Nurburgring in a ring taxi would be great!
View user profile

on Sun May 07, 2017 9:33 pm
Crix, this sums up my opinion of these days .... underwhelming.

I drove a Gallardo, a 911 turbo, and an Ariel Atom - and none blew me away.

The open wide controlled environment definitely takes away the feeling of speed, the cars normally quite 'used' and the short time in the cars means you don't really take it all in.

The Caterham track days are 1million times more exciting.

Still a nice experience though - and hopefully after being seen in a supercar today, you'll get a happy ending ...
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 07, 2017 9:53 pm
Agreed LK. Make no mistake...I did enjoy it...and it was quite a good set up. It's come on a long way from a few years ago. I've not done as many of these as you or Paul. ..so I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed. But I know what you mean.

Stunning car though. The one I drove was a Mallorca blue Huracan Spider. I thought I'd linked to a pic bit it seems not.
View user profile

on Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 am
Glad you enjoyed it. Smile

Did Malcolm have a Cockney accent? I went out with an older chap in the GT-R who was a good tutor - the rest though, as you say, are young 'uns who don't really seem to do much more than tell you which direction to go in, and do seem to like showing off a bit!!

If you do decide to go back at all, I'd recommend the high speed drive with a tutor as you can concentrate on experiencing the speed of the car without having to concentrate on the driving. And, as ever, I'd recommend taking a Nissan GT-R out - the twin-turbo engine really gives you a shove and sense of speed/acceleration, even on a vast, open area such as an airfield; something the naturally-aspirated Lamborghini Gallardo just couldn't.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am
Hi FF, yes, may have been the same guy!
The GTR...i mean...i think they're great...but amongst that lot...it just didn't appeal. I could have driven it as i had a choice...but...call me a brand whore or whatever...it didn't even really register on the radar!
(P.S. - i know and understand that the GTR is a giant killer...and is probably as fast or faster than anything out there...i just...well...yeah)

The thing was, even though i was kinda...driving as i was told..and was controlled etc...i was overtaking people! I mean..come on! You have to at least go for it a bit! On my run, there was a MK1 R8 and 911 going round...and they certaintly weren't really going for it. Although it's all relative. The Ariel Atoms and the passenger car Vauxhall VXR8s were absolutely spanking around the track much faster than me!
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am
Great report Crix..

VFC
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm
Thank you VFC. Although i do not rate my reviews any more. I seem to have...let life get in the way a little.
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 3:30 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:Thank you VFC. Although i do not rate my reviews any more. I seem to have...let life get in the way a little.

Life is what happens when you're making other plans?

VFC
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 3:39 pm
Exactly!

Also, plans are what happen when you are making other lives!
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 6:20 pm
Your 'Malcolm' and EffEff's comment reminded me of my time with John Lyon of HPC...old looking geezer, not too complimentary about my half day 'trial' drive where he decides if you can spend another few hundred £ on a full day including Millbrook...one of lifes experiences for me.

Changing lanes on the circular banked track - hands off the wheel - moving down from lane 5 to 4 and up again using accelerator control only at plus/minus 130mph...

I think John might still be passing on his experience - I heard he re-applied for his BDC ticket or something a couple of years ago...

I still have his two drive reports - but can't read his writing - but have never forgot what I learned from him...mainly, at that time, that I was not as good as I thought I was as a driver...

Invaluable!

VFC

View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 8:25 pm
What is HPC??

I'm sure there is a 911 around here with a HPC sticker on it.
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 9:52 am
High Performance Club - John was ousted some years ago but I think still calls his courses HPC.

Google John Lyon HPC for the stories...if you can drive with him it is truly a revelation.

VFC
View user profile

Electric cars - do you think this is true.

on Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 am
Electric automobile converts 5-10 percent of energy in natural gas in to motion.

A normal vehicle will convert 20-30 percent of energy in gasoline in to motion.

Using electricity requires 2 energy transformation steps. While using petroleum requires one.

These problems prevent electric vehicles from replacing petroleum vehicles for all but specialty purposes. This would be true even with the perfect battery which takes up no space and holds infinite charge.

View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 10:25 am
LK,

I have the last John Lyon "Advanced Driving" Haynes Publishing - £16-99 on Amazon .

Or borrow mine for free...

VFC

PS - I also have a copy of "The Porsche Driving Book" by Porsche Cars Great Britain Ltd written by Martin Beck-Burridge and John Lyon...quite rare I think.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum