on Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm
Crix ??
Hugh ??

Anyone else got any ??
View user profile

Re: Thoughts on the Golf GTI

on Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 pm
Mk7?

I think it looks better than the R, is a lot less common, and I have a theory that it might be more fun too as you can't use all the performance of the R much of the time.

I did like my mk5, it was classless and civilised yet great fun too.
View user profile

on Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 pm
Yep - MK7

Quite tempted to try one ...

Reliability??

View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 am
I haven't heard any horror stories.

Yes, try one. The problem is that if you got bored with the BMW, you'll probably get bored with the Golf though.
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 8:03 am
Thoughts and review of the Focus ST then ?

Believe it or not, I've had the BMW nearly 2 years now - so I think I'd be bored of whatever ... and actually I'm not desperately bored of the BMW - probably just as bored of the roads I use everyday.

Maybe it's time for a different tact for a couple of years - 4 seat convertible ??
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 8:33 am
This years award (and probably last year too) for least decisive car buyer

Drum roll

LK!!

Laughing
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 am
Don't worry I bore myself Laughing

Maybe I'm just bored of cars ...

Anyone know anything about small aeroplanes ?? Laughing
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 am
We need some clarity!
So are you selling the BMW again and getting something old/cheap....or newish and not cheap?

I personally find the current Golf GTi better looking than the R...and there seems to be far more of the R around.
I think....reading between the lines and having read some reviews...that the current GTi is a bloody good car....but then...the R is just a little bit more...but has 4wd and 70bhp more. So it wins.
I've not driven a current R but i'd hazard a guess that the GTi is more fun with it being FWD and stuff. It just lacks the 300bhp and crazy 0-60 times.
You'll find lots of love for both on PH. But also i've read thing of people who've got the R....and become bored of it...and been disappointed with it. But then there's people who have Rs who think they are tremendous and a 'do all' car..which they are.

I know it's not quite the same...but i think i've mentioned this before. Going back to the previous/previous model. I had a Golf MK6 R for a weekend from work once...and it was excellent...fast, refined, smart, an all-round great car....but like...i wasn't blown away. (i know the mk6 R might not be as good as the MK7 R but thats the only comparison i can make)
At a similar time, i had the use of a Leon Cupra R which i think had the same engine in 265PS form (versus 270PS and 4wd)....and the Leon was just so SO much more fun. It was less refined, sure...and definitely lower quality...but i couldn't plaster the grin off my face when i was driving it. There was just...so much more feel and involvement. And it definitely had a much nicer gearchange than the R too.

So, what am i saying? I dont know.
What are Leon Cupra price like on the slightly used market? If they are a good deal cheaper than the equivalent golf GTI (and you can live with the badge.. Razz )....they are pretty highly rated.
However, if there's not much in the price...the VW will feel the nicer product.
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 4:06 pm
"Thoughts and review of the Focus ST then ?"
Well, in comparison to the Golf it is more flawed - doesn't get the power down as well, a bit more ragged, worse economy in most situations, cheaper feeling interior, very poor turning circle, less room in the back, smaller boot (hatchback)

Nicer noise (though a little fake as the sound 'symposer' cuts out when you come off the gas), cheaper parts and servicing, quicker (on a dry road), and pretty good fun - mainly because of the fact it is a bit rougher around the edges!

Not much in it handling wise.

Golf I think ultimately is a bit better all round. I bought mine as the estate was on of the few options that did everything I wanted. I don't regret it and I do like it, but I admit it isn't perfect.
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:We need some clarity!
So are you selling the BMW again and getting something old/cheap....or newish and not cheap?

Don't really know what I want .... but know what I don't want ...

Don't want £15k of depreciating metal on my drive that doesn't overly excite me ....

I can probably put away £300 - £400 a month towards a car, and I have got savings, but don't want to dip in to those too much .... the idea behind a cheap Golf was to pocket the cash, and be able to jump when I see the right thing ...it was temporary.

Actually when I drive the BMW, its a lovely car ... but I don't want lovely - I want bad ass Smile . but it needs to be practical and reliable for work.

Half hearted measures of Golf GTI and M135i seem to tick all the boxes, but I suspect would bore me quite quickly.

Frustrates me that my cars 10 years ago (Lotus, etc) were so much more exciting ... but kids, etc, means life in general is so much more mundane ... and actually in a day and age of camera's, etc, maybe driving is just more mundane ... I think that being able to take the roof off a car, might add that element of fun back, but most 4 seat convertibles are dull to drive ...

So - what do I want ... reliable (not too old, or too high miles), practical (4 seats), not something that's going to depreciate too much, but most importantly - fun ...

The final scenario is keep the BMW, as it'll last me years, and buy a cheap MX5 that I can pick up from time to time, and run as my toy?
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum