View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

2006 Golf 1.6 FSI

on Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 pm
Link at the bottom for as long as it's for sale

I approached this car with the mindset of, if I sell my car, I could buy a cheap and cheerful car as a stop gap, and not to expect too much from it - it's just £3000 after all.

The benefit of the Golf is it's respectable enough for work, although older VW reliability does concern me.

Well, I was in for a shock ... it was blooming nice ...

Outside condition for a 10 year old, 70k mile car was excellent - although the door edges were just starting to show signs of rusting.

Inside, the car was spotless, and was wearing it's miles very well - one benefit of cloth seats is they don't stretch, and long term wear better than leather - not only that, but they were heated, and heated up fast and to arse burning temperatures!

Some of the dashboard plastics were a bit dated, and looked a bit brittle, but the steering wheel felt less worn than the 30k mile M135i I drove.

Engine was nice and smooth, and quiet, and for a N/A 1.6, it was punchy enough - certainly more grunt (for the weight) than the Zafira.

The only element that was showing signs of age was the very slack gearbox, and a clutch that was super light, and needed lifting very high before it did anything ... but in every other aspect, it could have been a brand new car.

In some respects it made me start thinking about the merits of a front wheel drive car, yes it didn't have the steering purity of the 1 series, but front wheel drive can be fun, for when letting the clutch out fast, the front wheels would give just the smallest hint of slip .... do that in a rear wheel drive car, and it'll bog down ....

The other joy of this car was the ride - no sporting pretentions, and small alloys with big tyres took me back to a bygone age of good ride quality. The car was super quiet too.

In short, what an amazing little car for £3k ... I'd happily drive around in it - in fact, I'd strongly consider a Golf (GTI) next time ... good sized cars too, they seem quite wide compared to the 1 series, which in comparison means you can get 3 people across the back seat - the 1 series is strictly 2 in the back.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705035061611?atmobcid=soc3
View user profile

Re: 2006 Golf 1.6 FSI

on Tue May 09, 2017 7:43 am
Yes, my mk5 was roomier in the back in terms of legroom and access than my current Focus.

They can have their niggles, especially at that age - electrics and sensors (abs module is an expensive not failure), air con is flaky in my experience. A late mk4 is going to be more boring to drive but probably more robust long term (there are still loads about!)
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am
Excellent!

See! People can drive all manner of cars....and then drive something old and approaching shed/Crixter territory....and think they're great!
Whatever you do LK, do not worry. Cars can be changed...and changed again.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 am
Extra - just to add, that does look like a nice example.

I've driven lots of these...and i know what you mean about them. Trouble is...most of the ones i drove were the 1.9 (105PS) diesel (at the time having/buying a petrol one very rare!) was ...which were very economical...but very boomy and rattly. The petrol will indeed be nice and smooth in comparison.
I reckon it'll get approx 30mpg around town if it's a bit trafficky. Maybe less if it's bad. But then should easily do 40-50 on longer runs.
View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm
The petrol versions of these older cars will become more desirable and could alter in value compared to the diesel versions now that diesel is an evil child killing fuel of satan and you won't be able to use them in many cities!
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum