View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Manual v Automatic

on Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 pm
Preferences and why?

Spot, Hugh ... still happy with your lazy boxes ??

Tom ... manual still the way forward ?

Everyone else ... which way do you bat ?
View user profile

Re: Manual v Automatic

on Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 pm
LKsOK wrote:Preferences and why?

Spot, Hugh ... still happy with your lazy boxes ??

Tom ... manual still the way forward ?

Everyone else ... which way do you bat ?

Well the gearbox is very smoooootthhh indeed. In D nicely laid back. In S (sport) the flappy paddles are so much better than the Saab ones - very quick changes. In Dynamic - mental.

I found that there is a kick down button under the accelerator pedal the other day - hell poo nearly came out...

View user profile

on Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 pm
I like auto

That's why all more cars are manual scratch
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 am
If I hadn't had an auto all these months, I may have been even fatter as I would have been trapped at home like some Jeremy Vile retard Mad

Manual's are good, but auto's just save the fucking about with foot up/down/up/down/up/down in traffic Rolling Eyes
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 am

The days of manual transmissions in cars are numbered. Even today most automatics are faster and more economical than a manual in the same car. It's only going to become more so with automatic able to integrate with electric regeneration stuff and manuals not.

But I like manuals. So I drive one.

View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 am
I've never owned an auto, and those I have driven (both twin clutch with paddles and traditional torque converter) I haven't got on with that well. I guess I prefer to be in full control.

I do see the benefits in traffic and urban driving though - and I do a lot of that, which can be a pain.

I also see the way things are going. Manuals are dying out - a lot of performance cars are now auto only, and where a manual option remains it is rare. My next car is likely to be auto for this reason, looking at the options!

It will get to the stage like in the USA where people will ask why the heck you would want to have to change gear manually! I think it will be sad, but equally I don't consider myself an old fart that will get that hung up on it!
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 7:24 am
This for me ^^^

I convince myself that auto is the way forward, and that they leave you in full control these days .... but I drive one, and i don't feel so connected to the car.

I have to say that diesel auto for me, seem to work better than petrol auto ...
Admin
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am
I think i agree with LK and Tom.

Like.....i've driven lots of DSG equipped cars over the years....they're great.
And i do have a bit of traffic on my commute which would be much easier to put up with in an auto.

But then...on the odd occasion....if you ever have a spiritied drive....manual is like...another level of connectivity with the car.

Saying that....some cars work much better as autos. Like...an example....the MK5 Golf R32...driven both manual and dsg..the DSG suited the car/engine so much better and you could do both 'hoon mode' and use the paddles and launch control etc...and also 'cruise mode' and not do anything. Great options.

But like....BMW X5 3.0D. Driven both manual and auto. Auto approx 1,000,000% better suited to it.

And my Jeeeaaaag. A manual in that? It just wouldn't do!
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 am
I love autos... that's why all of my 7 cars have been manuals. Laughing

With the mileage I do and the amount of traffic I sit in, I regularly think about getting a diesel automatic. As previously stated, modern automatics/DSGs are so smooth and quick to change gears that they're often quicker than the manual alternative, especially those with 'launch control' (annoying when you're trying to 'make progress' away from traffic lights and the car next to you flies off with that sound of instant gear changes - they're cheating as they don't have to change gear themselves! Wink) I was in a diesel Octavia taxi a few weeks ago with a DSG 'box and the shifts were near enough seamless.

I'd prefer an auto over a manual, but could live with a manual no problem. I'd almost certainly have to have diesel though with the mileage I do and the torque/punch they provide, although a small petrol turbo might be viable if it's cheap enough. Whatever it is has to have a turbocharger though, naturally-aspirated just feels too lifeless to me unless the engine's huge, or it has VTEC. Laughing
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 11:53 am
Everyone i've convinced to try an automatic now won't go back. I couldn't understand this fixation we have with manuals in the Parkers forum days where we debated this every month. I didn't understand it then and the argument now is even more against this absurd obsession we have in this country.

Can you imagine the result if today someone inventing three pedals with a clutch and a stick thing and trying to sell the concept on Dragons den?
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 1:02 pm
Up until relatively recently, automatics had both a speed and economy penalty - they were inefficient and you had to really want one.
They have caught up now so I understand the point above - but if you enjoy driving then they still don't offer full control or connection with the car.
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 4:27 pm
Tom,

You can have full control and enjoyment with an auto - I have been using the auto in the Jag for years...got a compliment from a RoSPA examiner (Met Police Instructor)who suggested I could help him train London Met auto drivers when they moved to BMW autos some years ago.

He may have been blowing smoke up my jaxi but gave me a great written report on use of auto.

Practise using the box - it encourages forward vision and anticipation...

VFC

View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:I think i agree with LK and Tom.

Like.....i've driven lots of DSG equipped cars over the years....they're great.
And i do have a bit of traffic on my commute which would be much easier to put up with in an auto.

But then...on the odd occasion....if you ever have a spiritied drive....manual is like...another level of connectivity with the car.

Saying that....some cars work much better as autos. Like...an example....the MK5 Golf R32...driven both manual and dsg..the DSG suited the car/engine so much better and you could do both 'hoon mode' and use the paddles and launch control etc...and also 'cruise mode' and not do anything. Great options.

But like....BMW X5 3.0D. Driven both manual and auto. Auto approx 1,000,000% better suited to it.

And my Jeeeaaaag. A manual in that? It just wouldn't do!

I disagree - not least because the XF only comes in Auto guise! Dynamic / Auto is quick enough off the mark, as a Vauxhall Insignia discovered this evening on my way home. And that was with the car automatically setting off in 2nd!

The XF gearbox is very good, smooth changes and it seems to know exactly when to change.

I sometimes use flappy paddle mode, starting in 1st. That is very quick and gets 2000kg of car up to NSL in 5 seconds. It's not the most modern auto box, but it's still rather good.....
Admin
View user profile

on Wed May 10, 2017 8:47 pm
LOVE the auto in the 370, its quick and not often wrong in its selection.

I couldn't physically change the gear myself anywhere near the speed the auto box does it, which means my standing start is rapid. If i want a spirited drive, the paddles make me feel connected, no issues there!.

my second car i'm looking for at the mo will also be auto if the option is there.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 am
Manual is still like...more involving when you are in the mood. 100%
View user profile

on Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 am
That C4 I bought and brought back to life has a 5 speed manual and it's fun.

Nice light clutch (just as well) and evenly spaced gears. I removed the knackered variable vane turbo (it was guffed) and replaced it with a smaller standard job off a Peugeot van.

It spools up nice an quick so she goes, turbo kicks in and she goes some more. A proper little tarmac burner & ideal for chewing up the miles.

However, back to auto, I still change down in George for hills (especially down) as it gives you some control back and free's up your braking foot. Uphill down shift into 3rd just stops the box hunting up & down on the steep Drumossie Hill section.

In snow & ice, I also use the box manually as you get to feel the friction (or lack of) and keep her smooth Wink
Admin
View user profile

on Sat May 13, 2017 10:19 am
MegaCrixel wrote:Manual is still like...more involving when you are in the mood. 100%

i find this statement inaccurate

thank you
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum