View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

exciting news

on Sat May 20, 2017 8:33 pm
remember i posted about needing another car?....well the reason being is i hand my work van back soon as I have been promoted into management. yes, yes kids, that's right.....this fat mess came down here 4 years ago with a bag of clothes and a Renault trafic living in some girls mums house who i happened to be tapping at the time.

since moving back, I've delivered meat, stationary, cleaned printers for 13k a year and now i am finally back to where I was before i lost the plot and bought a hotel.........i mean seriously, a farking hotel, me....anyway.

so, as mentioned before, i am NOT giving up the only thing that brings me joy (my Z....and womens bits).....my commute is 100 miles a day, first i was thinking small and cheap...but after two weeks of the same commute in a reasonably refined brand new transit connect....i think i need to be more in the mondeo category.

I havent got oodles of cash because i bunged 12.5k at my Z only a few months ago.....so i'm thinking up to 5k

i've narrowed it down to the following:

Vauxhall Igsignia, VW Passat, Saab 9-3 - all because they are extremely affordable. Tax is a factor as i already pay £500+ on the Z, MPG is an absolute, for obvious reasons...and it MUST be an auto

anyone any thoughts on those or perhaps like to add suggestions?.....BMW 1/3/5 series and Merc C's are out as they are just 200k disasters waiting to happen

View user profile

Re: exciting news

on Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Out of them the Passat.

I run by an MOT station for, I think, 1 million cars (once every 2 years) and there is a small queue of 10 cars there nearly all the time. Passat's look sparkling with no rust, I think all the time, it helps that people wash and clean them really well before the MOT.

But the truth is the Passat's always seem to look in tip top condition.

View user profile

on Sat May 20, 2017 8:51 pm
I've been really impressed with diesel Insignia hire cars

Would I buy one?

Dunno they're dull

But you have the Z for entertainment
Admin
View user profile

on Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 pm
Everyone is different but Elad got a Passat and ended up hating ot mainly all down to one thing, he found the driving position and sear really unconfortable after more than a few minutes. He tried various things but it was never anything other than bad for him. His was a 2012 SE spec. Other seats may be better. In all other respects he thought it was a great car.
You'll probably get a newer Insignia for the same money compared to others. Whatever you get, try to get a decent hour long test drive as comfort will be key for the commute.
And congrats on the promotion dude!!!
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 12:55 am
Congrats man

Insignia for me ...

Our Zafira has been used and abused, and not been a bit of trouble ....

View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 am
Good Luck in the new job Mate

VFC
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 10:01 am
Congrats.

I'd go with whichever if the (presumably diesel) engines is perceived as the most reliable.

No chance of moving nearer to the job?
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 5:54 pm
Congratulations mate, you deserve it, all of it. I am super delighted for you. Ruta said the same and she's very happy....mostly that she no longer has to give you a pie every time you visit you munching mess Laughing

Now, don't laugh and make derisory comments, but I love Ruta's C4 and indeed the wee manual one I just sold was a hoot to drive (Tich bought it). They are brilliant cars and so simple to fix! Honest to goodness, there is nothing really complicated either in the brakes, suspension or engine. But they do need regular maintenance and decent oil.

However, I rather think they would be too small to be comfy for you, I just manage to get in & out (broken parts notwithstanding) but on the road a Citroen is a hoot to drive, always comfy and a bit whacky as Crix will agree.

Therefore, I propose the next best thing, the C5. cheap as chips and look pretty decent too.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/c5/62473/2013-citroen-c5-pictures#0

Go on, test drive one and see what you think. Get a warranty, come up here for a visit and I will service it properly for you. Go on, give it a go Wink
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 6:06 pm
Fab news about the job old boy!
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 pm
Spot,

Wot Andi said DOUBLE...I had the misfortune to drive Chelmsford to Southampton today - with the friggin' M3 SHUT...so diversions all the way and nought miles per hour for ages...in my pals C5 as they had a stack of luggage for thier cruise.

The 2.2 HD something  auto was a revelation...plenty of poke when I needed it...lovely auto box...at least double the Jags MPG...outside lane when I got the foot down and no slower progress than I would have made in the Jag...

The trip home was horrendous...diverted to the M4 somewhere and the M25 was like a parking lot...but the Citroen reminded me of why I drove them as company cars for 25 years.

If you can find one - go for it  - the one outside is a 55 reg - I could live with it easily...a wee bit less ""stable?"" on long fast bends than the Jag...but so is everthing else?

Trust Andi...

VFC
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm
The world is very obsessed with a sport ride these days, when the reality is, on the road it makes very little difference on the whole.

In many instances I would plump for the more compliant car being the fast one over a journey ....

Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 pm
May be a good call. You could get a pretty newish (ish) and high spec C5 for up to 6k. The 08 onward shape. 1.6 diesel a bit weak for the car. 2.0 gets decent write up. 2.2 quickest but not universally loved. (Also, Elad had the 2.2 175ps engine in his mondeo and 34mpg was the norm, 40+ when being extra careful....not good enough.)
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 21, 2017 8:02 pm
P.P.S. If you can find an exclusive with the electric massage seats (VERY rare) they are stupendous! I drove one and set the message functions away...I was transported to a far away land of relaxation with some bint caressing my lower back with her breasts pushing into my shoulders. Sublime. Actually thinking about it, it could have been quite dangerous!
View user profile

on Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 pm
Don't forget the Lane Departure Warning system. My Range Rover can wallow like a wounded whale, but it doesn't stop me flooring it round some serious bendy bits What a Face

But on the long straight bits littered with pot holes, the air suspension is seriously good at removing the crashing and ironing it out to modest bumping.

Wife wants to take her C4 to Prestwick, but I have real problems getting in & out,  which is exacerbated by sitting for hours. So we're taking George due to the excellent seating position and comfort with the EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) not to mention the adjustable ride height. I can set it high or low to let me get out even with agony in my knee, foot and shoulder/arm (shoulder is farking awful like burning gravel rubbing my bicep).

So the fuel cost will be mad, but offset that against no pain and ease of getting out is worth it to me. Besides, I should manage up to 22mpg on such a long run Arrow

Last edited by Doo 1 on Mon May 22, 2017 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reason for edit? None of your effen bizniz)
View user profile

on Mon May 22, 2017 6:52 pm
If I had to drive 100 miles a day, I think I would keep the Subaru, it's really relaxed at motorway speeds. I'm everyday up there at 80 mph or a bit over hoofing it down the motorway in the early hours to work.

View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 11:16 am
Congratulations on the promotion! Smile

Of the list, I'd personally go for the Passat as that's the nicest of the bunch, although £5k gets you a lot of Mondeo, and they are good to drive.

However, I've been offered a job at a Skoda/SEAT retailer, therefore... I'd recommend an Octavia or Superb, in true Parkers fashion. Wink
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm
Congrats on the job offer FF!

Decided what you are gonna do?!
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 pm
More than likely I'll take it - same job, literally around the corner from where I work now, £4k a year more!
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 1:15 pm
I think that would be the right decision. Probs a good strong brand to be at too. and £4k a year more....no brainer.
I need to the job out (literally).Ticking over generally OK here but thats not a great situation, not good money either.
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm
There does seem to be quite a lot of staff changes lately around here within the motor trade, maybe it's happening more nationwide as well?
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm
Nice work !!!

What is it you do?
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 pm
Always high turnover IME in motortrade, mainly sales, but most areas.

Nice when you get a bunch who stay together (good for the customer too, continuity, familiar faces etc)
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 2:24 pm
I'm in Sales Administration - basically sales executives are the interface and I'm the computer behind the scenes.

What role do you do Crix? I've always wondered that but never actually asked lol.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 4:25 pm
I'm in admin too, more the marketing side, bit of interweb stuff too.

I work with sales admin quite often, mostly office based, etc.
View user profile

on Tue May 23, 2017 5:42 pm
I'm in teaching - we change about 200 kids every year!
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum