View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

SAAB 93 Sportwagon Aero

on Mon May 29, 2017 12:47 pm
Autotrader - automatic, up to £3500 (all i could scrape together) under 100k search by distance.

This one came up first 2 miles away.

Given my history with SAABs It immediately caught my eye. and at £2300 to trade in I wasn't going to argue it just ticked all the boxes in my "i'm a Mercedes driver, get me out of here" period.

Good bits:

only 62k
mega service history, and i rang the garage which appears to be what was left of the main dealer in Leeds, they confirmed they had looked after it for years, good customer service!
not a mark on it, its been owned by a guy i actually half-know - friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing, hes had to pack in driving so a quick call confirmed there were no scary bits awaiting me.
The gearbox (and flappy paddles) are just brilliant, better even than the merc. It hasn't missed a gear yet cos sometimes especially at a roundabout you get that yes/no/yes thing with an auto, this hasn't, its been spot on.
Engine 2 litre full turbo moves when it is asked to but wafty mode certainly suits it.
The seats.- fab
The Bose Audio - fab!
Brilliant use of rear space and theres a clever lift-up and fold back boot floor which reveals another movable shelf and then theres lots of cubby holes under that in the spare wheel well.

Hmmmm dunno bits.

Given its the Aero it has xenon self leveling lights full dual climate and lots of other extras i'm a little surprised it doesn't have lectric folding mirrors, auto lights and wipers, something i got used to, but really it wasn't a deal breaker, just a bit "this isn't the top model"
Its sports suspension and LP tyres is pretty hard on shitty roads a bit like the old 3 series i had. However up at speed and on a motorway its excellent.
Its a bit of a cross-over model its got the new (much better) interior Revised exterior lighting (LED and Xenons) but its still got a version of the old front end - pre-Dame-Edna as they are called, which kinda dates it.
I think a bit of the exhaust is too near the bodywork or a rubber is off somewhere as when i push it theres a definite tone its minor but enough to be annoying.

Not so good.

£500 a year car tax
38 mpg max (so far)
rattles and a squeaky driver seat

So all-in-all im quite pleased with it so far, but then it hasn't got much to beat has it. It might be 10 years old but its certainly got the feel of something much never. theres a slight knock at the front i can here when driving slowly over bumps so that will need looking at but other than that everything is 100% working.
View user profile

Re: SAAB 93 Sportwagon Aero

on Mon May 29, 2017 12:53 pm
These are from the original advert, the car was as received and hadn't been valeted

Last service on next page was at 61k

Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 pm
lotta car for t'dosh lad, but £500/RFL for a 2.0 turbo?? holy moly!!
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:19 pm

The inside and especially the outside of that, make my car look dated.

I pay half that in car tax!
(I think anyway, I forgot...).
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:33 pm
Looks good!

Is that the same tax band as the 2.8?
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:08 pm
Very very good indeed! A lot of car for the money, more so than the Civic.

38mpg is good!
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum