View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

Carshop, Northampton

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:04 pm
visited this establishment Saturday arvo to test drive something (i wont say what yet), anyway, liked it, begrudgingly got a trade price for the 370 (don't ask) and went away to think about it......the difference was £5325 - i went away to think about it

cue yesterday, phone call from salesman  - have you made up your mind yet? 'no' I tell him - so i think about it over night, go off to work this morning, then think 'if i can get them down to £5k, i'll do the trade.

so i pop down there 'hello mr bullshitty wanky type sales moron - i will do the trade, but you have to drop your car £325 so that my trade plus cash equals £5k exactly

straight away he said 'no, cant do it'......so i said 'ok, no problem, plenty of them about, i just wanted to keep my business local'

salesman typically senses the loss of a sale, so asks me to wait a moment whilst he speaks to his sales manager (another bullshitty wanky type sales moron)

he comes back and says 'no, sorry, we priced out car keenly and will not drop by £325

fine, thank you anyway, an i walk away.

the car is nearly £16000 and they lost the sale over 325 pounds

is it just me or is the fight for a deal near on impossible these days? are these dealers genuinely of the mind that their vehicle is so 'competitively priced' that the difference between a customer walking away and losing a sale is just £325?
View user profile

Re: Carshop, Northampton

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 pm
Who knows .... if they can get the full price quite easily again, then why give it off ??

Imagine losing £300 on each car they sold !!

I think these places do tend to get prices because these garages tend to appeal to those who maybe aren't so savvy, and get drawn in by easy finance deals ....

Anyway - selling the 370 already ??

The two car scinareo not working out ??

What is it you have your eye on??
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:14 pm
not telling you Smile

and no, i LOVE the 370, but the 2/3k cars weren't appealing enough.....plus my sensible head (it rarely appears) is saying why have a 500 a year tax burden depreciating in the garage, why not trade in for something very decent and then go buy a project weekender (i really wanna do something electric!)

thankfully i'm not as indecisive as you, i figure out whats for the best and buy it Very Happy
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:17 pm
If it's the E350 convertible they have - buy it - blooming love these things, and a petrol version could be my next car.

I've done more miles in the BM these last few days than the car normally does in a month !!! and it's been freaking awesome.

I actually spotted a couple of 911's on the way down, and the Mrs gave me the green light to to get one .... but if I had one now, we'd have been in the Zafira the last few days ... practicality is a proper double edge sword ....
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:41 pm
hahaha, you swine, it was actually the 220 in white with blue roof, the 350 might just be a tad too thirsty for me (even though i desperately want a big engine again)
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 5:59 pm
They have lots of lovely stuff at that price - a lovely A5, and a nice C Class coupe - but it's the E Class  that appeals to me.

The problem I've created myself is that the BMW is a perfectly good car - fast enough, practical, perfect spec, and everything else I look at has 4-5 as many miles on the clock ... I've said goodbye to Lotus Elises, Audi TT, etc with no bother but this BM is just so good ... I test drove an S3 the other day, and it's just not as good a car - other than being a little bit faster.

My next car will be either an E Class convertible or a 911 ... but as non-perfect as the BM is, it doesn't do anything bad enough for me to trade for 4-5 as many miles and older cars (yet)

BM is all paid for ... so I'll starting saving for the next one now ...

Good luck buying a Merc E convertible - I love them ... but buy the E350 if you can ... completely different beast
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:15 pm
completely different MPG though.....and with a 100+ mile commute every day, whats the point in a 3 litre derv when a 2 litre will be more economical and save more £££
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:20 pm
Fair comment - but what's the real world difference on the motorway?? Just curious.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm
billions!.....ok millions!..........alright alright, probably about 5-8mpg
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:30 pm
Is the higher running cost worth the extra smile factor?
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:32 pm
I used that logic when getting married Paul.....turns out it wasnt
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm
Cheaper than changing the car in 6 months because you can't stand the 4 pot dieselr ...
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:36 pm
True...

Any 3 Series alternatives in budget?
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:40 pm

When I went to one of them second hand places here. They really don't drop the price of the car, if you want to buy it they asked me for about 300 pounds to do the work to transfer the ownership and the plates to the new car.

Subaru was incredibly the opposite, I wanted to take the car as it was, they wanted to delay a week, fill it with petrol, stick a motorway tax on it for 30 pounds and help with all the plate swapping. All for no money, except for payment for the car in advance.

I think those second hand car places are on a really close commission. Or they make a sh1t load...

View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 pm
From the name it sounds like one of those car supermarket places that don't tend to negotiate and then add extra 'admin' fees on - I loathe those places. No customer service.

I'd stick with the earlier plan and get something cheap to run into the ground if you're doing 100 miles a day. In 3 years you'll kill the value of anything newish.
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 pm
Makes my piss boil! Places that charge £150 "admin fee" and won't do a deal on the price.....

I'm trying to do a deal on that XFR - they have offered me £7500 trade price. That is about £500 more than WBAC.com. So I use a bit of logic. Take the trade prices for both cars from the What Car valuation site - SV8 c.£7500 and XFR £10500 - a £3000 differential. So I have now offered him mine plus £5000 to include an MOT and warranty. I would need to spend about £1200 on new tyres all round, a service and possibly rear suspension arms. The outside edges of the front tyres are showing signs of wear, but have 3mm of tread.

We shall see. Anyway I started to machine polish mine today - what an amazing finish! Shall plod on and try to finish tomorrow..... Probably won't change mine at all; all paid for and 22mpg - what more do I need?!!

View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 8:37 pm
Not so much the need as the WANT

You'll be in an F Type soon Hugh the way you keep upgrading Jaaaaaags
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 9:12 pm
Sell the car privately, and the gap will be a lot smaller
View user profile

on Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 pm
No - I think I'll stick for the time being. Am getting the parking and wheel sensors sorted hopefully this week. Also machine polishing looks amazing!

View user profile

on Tue May 30, 2017 8:14 am
Try and find an E250 then - much quicker than the E220 and still 4 pot

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705125391287?atmobcid=soc3
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum