View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

New Car Time!

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am
So, as I'm soon to be in a situation where I'm looking to buy a property, I've decided the £107 a month I spend on the Laguna would be best put towards a home - meaning the Laguna is off, along with monthly finance repayments! I never wrote a review of it, but basically it's exactly as you'd expect, apart from it's not as economical as you might expect for a 1.5dCi (gets about 48.5mpg - lots of traffic and speedy motorway driving though), it handles superbly - seems to go around any corner at any speed without any body roll, although I'm guessing it will be quite light, and the stereo is better than the one in the Audi A6 I had.

Anyway, as for its replacement, I'm back in my favourite type of car - a big, cheap, old, high mileage, pimp wagon!

Made in 2005.

Has a 2.4-litre, 5-cylinder, 20-valve diesel engine.

Automatic transmission.

119,000 miles.

Was up at £1495 but knocked them down to £1300.

Oh... and I can't turn the headlights off, lol.
View user profile

Re: New Car Time!

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Googled the engine specs and I think it will be a VAG engine. But then I don't know what car it was found in. Audi 100 is mentioned. But that will be rather old.

View user profile

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm
Volvo
View user profile

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 pm
It is a Volvo! S80 to be precise. Cool My old X-reg C70 was a decent enough car, simpler than the German cars, always said I'd have another Volvo... Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm
You had a C70??! Nice one!

Yes, i would have guessed volvo, but probably V70.

S80, nice. They are good bargain barges. The 5cyl diesel in a nice unit which is much nicer to use and listen to than a typical 4 cyl diesel. Very nice. Fairly gutsy too. I'd expect...mpg..in 30's maybe? Over 40 sometimes? Big car, big engine, nice one.

BUT!!!! I'm wondering...i hope the S80 doesn't cost you £107 more a month to run than the Laguna, effectively wiping out your saving?

I'm not saying it will...but it just doesn't strike me as a super-cheap car to run.

But kudos though, it's something a bit special!
View user profile

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:32 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:You had a C70??! Nice one!

Yes, i would have guessed volvo, but probably V70.

S80, nice. They are good bargain barges. The 5cyl diesel in a nice unit which is much nicer to use and listen to than a typical 4 cyl diesel. Very nice. Fairly gutsy too. I'd expect...mpg..in 30's maybe? Over 40 sometimes? Big car, big engine, nice one.

BUT!!!! I'm wondering...i hope the S80 doesn't cost you £107 more a month to run than the Laguna, effectively wiping out your saving?

I'm not saying it will...but it just doesn't strike me as a super-cheap car to run.

But kudos though, it's something a bit special!
I did indeed have a C70 - first car I ever bought!! 2.0 turbo in a light shade of gold lol.
View user profile

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:51 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:

This is always the thing ... what is the best thing to do.

I've contemplated selling mine, and putting £13k in the bank for a few months, and buying a cheap Golf, in order to secure what my car is worth ... but then I know that my car is unlikely to cost me anything to run for some time ... and if I bought an old Golf / Focus, and the clutch or brakes needed doing .. I'd have been better off where I was.

Not only that, but you have to look at what you are left with at the end too ... ie. the depreciation aspect.

Tricky old business .. but I guess its an excuse to change cars ...
View user profile

on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:31 pm
I think if you know a place you can get your car fixed for a reasonable amount AKA Crix then an older car makes perfect sense. But if it costs you an arm and leg for repair, probably AKA LK it makes sense to have a newer car.

I'm not sure I know where EffEff is in this. But I think I'm pretty much with LK. I can make it to Germany, but it takes organization and time. I have place near my work where I can go, but more expensive, although really ok for Switzerland.

I don't have to go to Subaru to keep the warranty valid so I don't. Very Happy

View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:35 am
People have said to me that you're better off financing a newer car than buying an older car outright as a newer car will be more reliable/cost less in maintenance, however, in the 5 months I've had the Laguna, it's needed 2 new fuel injectors, a door lock mechanism (both thankfully covered under warranty), there's a shuddering from the front under low speed braking that the dealer can't diagnose, it's started using quite a bit of oil and the key card has to be physically bent for the buttons to work.

Also, of the 8 cars I've now owned, I've financed 2, and 2 have left me stranded at some point - yes, you guessed it, the 2 financed cars, which were the youngest age and lowest mileage of all the cars I've owned, were the ones to leave me stranded - an Astra that needed an alternator and the Laguna that had an overheating engine that eventually cut out.

So, in my experience, a newer, lower mileage, more expensive car is no guarantee of trouble-free motoring, and I doubt that even an old banger would cost the same in repairs/maintenance each month as a finance repayment. So far, in my experience, it hasn't anyway. Smile
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 am
Of course it's not an exact science, and there is new, and new.

The problem is with the not new - not old (£3000 - £7000 stuff) is that it's more likely someone is selling on a problem.

Obviously new is new, and really old has probably been through the problems ....

Of course, the Astra could have been bad luck, but buy ingredient the Renault (being French) can be classed more along the lines of stupidity - hehe
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:56 am
I've had approx 25 cars.

Probs...20 of these have been £500 or less.

NONE of them have been a disaster and left me stranded (without notice).

You just need to look carefully, do some homework and also have an element of luck. And also be prepared to drive around in something 'crap' as others would see it.

The last bit is the part most have a problem with.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:00 pm
I guess there's some truth in national reputations for car-building - the Astra had an Italian (Fiat) engine and obviously the Renault's engine is French. My other cars have been Japanese, German, Swedish and British, and despite having their own issues, they never actually left me stranded.

I prefer 'crap' cars as you don't have to worry about them - if they get damaged in car parks or whatever, so what, who cares? If the engine blows up, junk it and spend another few hundred quid on another banger, sorted. lol. Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:25 pm
FF, a man after my heart!
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 pm
I'll admit - my £5000 Mini Cooper S was one of the best cars I've had for me actually enjoying it ... it wasn't perfect, so I'd park it anywhere, use it for anything, and not stress out it .... if the engine had been ok, I'd probably still have it.

There were times on holiday in Dorset recently where I'd be enjoying myself with the kids, and then start panicking about someone bashing my car in the car park - it's really not a way to live ....

Bangernomics is liberating, and I'd definately do it again.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:56 pm
Hehehehehe. ...bangernomics in a 5k car.... :p

I'd be mortified if someone scratched my £2k Civic :p

MINI could be the way to go again LK....
A nearly new Cooper S bwooartypopped past me yesterday.
I say bwooartypopped as that's exactly the noise it made under a heavy throttle.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:55 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:Hehehehehe. ...bangernomics in a 5k car.... :p

I'd be mortified if someone scratched my £2k Civic :p

MINI could be the way to go again LK....
A nearly new Cooper S bwooartypopped past me yesterday.
I say bwooartypopped as that's exactly the noise it made under a heavy throttle.

It, along with a Focus ST, have crossed my mind a few times.

I need a proper Jekyll and Hyde car ... sensible enough for work, and taking the kids to school ... crazy enough for me to want to take it out at weekends down to Goodwood, ect.

It seems like all cars fall in to one camp or the other ... nice, sensible, or too outrageous ... Mini was good in this respect ..
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:06 pm
Anyone want a nice XF Sv8 in Black. Recent MOT and buffed nicely!?
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 pm
So it's going?

Why ?
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:14 pm
The SV8 would suit you LK get it bought
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:44 pm
View user profile

on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 pm
LKsOK wrote:So it's going?

Why ?

Still undecided at the moment. See what happens on the job front. Hoping a Head of House position might come up where I am - 25% pay rise, plus an extra teaching level.

If I get the job in Taunton, then not quite such a rise.....

Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 am
LK, you have to get that car simply for the reg.

LK11 NOB.
Totally appropriate! ! :p
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 am
P.s. good luck with the job Huget!
View user profile

on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:07 am
MegaCrixel wrote:LK, you have to get that car simply for the reg.

LK11 NOB.
Totally appropriate! ! :p

Thank you !!!

A clever bolt, and it could be

LK U NOB

HEHEHE

So, who wants to buy the plate ??
View user profile

on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 am
Well done FF, Nice cars. The diesels can suffer from timing belt/tensioner and can have issues before the schedule (i think its 80k) so get that done if its a keeper, change the water pump whilst you are at it. My petrol one was quoted at £500 but a mate did it for £70 labour in the end which i couldn't believe at the time, but he said it was a piece of piss to do.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum