View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

2016 66 Subaru BRZ 2.0 SE LUX

on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:46 pm
First time of driving in one of these. Sat in a GT86 3-4 years ago...but other than that, nothing.

So, it's a small car. You have to get down low to get into it. You sit low. Only after a few minutes driving did i realise the seat was actually in it's highest position! So i lowered it and the driving postion became lower still.

Anyway.

Stats.

2.0 4 cyl Boxer engine.

197bhp

151.21lbs/ft

1230kg

0-60 7.6s

140 Max.

So, you get down into the car. Lots of adjustment from seat and wheel. Seats are nicely figure hugging..not OTT but..good. Possibly lacking in leg support for my long legs.

So, you're right down in the car, steering wheel right at you, almost perfectly vertical. Gearstick on raised central tunnel, just the right position. Waggle the gears, very nice short throw box, 'notchily tight' with no slack.

Interior is - well, to be honest, i liked it! It's not plush or advanced or like...hi-tech....but it's made of decent materials and is solid. I liked the tactile switches for the HVAC, etc. Seemingly cheap and dated in places - the 1980's LCD clock display, the like...basic square shape stereo which again looks from the 90s. The sound quality of the stereo also seemed to be poor and tinny...but to be fair, i didn't spend any time fiddling with the settings, it may have been alright, but it just seemed like...a secondary thing...the car a kind of...basic feel to it. The stalks are the same as in the 107.

However, as said, the interior seems well built and i personally liked the style with the red stitched parts around the seats, steering wheel and certain bits of the dash. The interior is cosy. I dont mean it's cramped..i had plenty of space in the front even at my 6"2. and expanding middle.

HOWEVER!!! If you wanted to use this as a four seater....well...yes...it has 4 seats...BUT! Like...hmmm. The only way you could even get a child in the back seat, is to have the front seats well forward. If you are a short driver, that may not be too much trouble...but like...really...the back seats are like...well...i'd say...almost unusable :s ..

I've read mixed reviews of the GT86/BRZ so was keen to see what's what.

Start up, the engine is quite vocal with some character. It doesn't burble and warble like Imprezas from a few years ago, but it has that kind of sound and feel about it. More interesting sound than a normal 4cyl engine, certainly.

Pull away and the steering has some weight to it. Reminded me a bit of the Puma, where you feel they've deliberately been low on the power assistance - big change to lots of cars which are far too assisted. It stays quite heavy on the move, and the rack is sharp. It's nice steering. Not Puma nice....but good.

The gearchange is very nice. Again it feels deliberately weighted and notchy, short throw. It's very nice.

Throttle response is good. Neither amazing nor poor. It did feel a bit strange at times...a slight jerk? As if something wasn't quite right somewhere? But im niggling to find a fault there. All controls feel engineered, deliberate, solid with no slack.

Overall, it's not an 'easy' car to drive as everthing needs a push or pull. It wouldn't be suited to lots of town driving unless you were OK with that.

Refinement was OK. Not great. In this respect...the car has a...'built to a price' feel. Like...road noise is not low, wind noise is not low. It's not bad.. but it's no refined cruiser. If you did lots of miles every day...it would soon become tiring.

I'd read mixed reviews about the engine. I was expecting a dull, characterless and flat engine to use.

I didn't think it was at all!

It's quite vocal....yet under a light throttle...it's quite...quiet and...'ordinary'.but..as soon as you give it some gas, you get a nice loud BWOOAAAH (Kimi style). I'd describe this as an induction noise though. I feel this noise is more noticeable than the actual engine itself, or the exhaust.

To me, if feels fast enough. Although my average performance history is of a lower level than many. It goes quite well, even at low revs.

BUT!!!!! One thing i DID discover (which i think some reviews do mention) is a bit of a flat feeling betwen 3-4k revs. It does drop off..it just...doesn't pick up. Once you are over 4250ish revs and beyond, it really does pull strongly and sounds very good too. It pulls stronger all the way to the red line (beyond 7000 revs, i think?) so it's a good engine to use hard, i felt.

Is it fast? Well, to me, it was quite fast yes. And i liked the way, the harder you drove, the better it responded.

The ride was pretty good. It's quite firm...but like...its defintiely acceptable for the type of car.

Did i get the tail out? Well, almost. The bit of road i was able to 'give it some' on was bone dry and like...very grippy. You could feel (and hear) the rear wheels chirping. The car DOES have a kind of...'pivoting' feel and there is a definite difference to the way the car pushes you round the corner as opposed to a FWD pulling you round.

A displayed 41mpg at an indicated 75mph on the A1 (cruise control set at 75) Which is very good if true...sounds a bit too good to be true. At 75, revs were approx...3250 in 6th. Not relaxing...but fine if you dont do much motorway stuff.

Overall, i really liked it. It just felt....designed to be like...a drivers car. I'm hoping to get another go on Tuesday when we bring the cars back.

I also very briefly drove the WRX...but thats for another day.
View user profile

Re: 2016 66 Subaru BRZ 2.0 SE LUX

on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:09 pm
Nice detailed review, mate !!!

Sounds like a good car, but not for me .... not enough cylinders is think is the big problem ....

View user profile

on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Wow a Subaru review. Great a WRX review to come too.. That's a bit like my car only better. Very Happy

Admin
View user profile

on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 am
Might be driving the WRX on ...tomorrow.
View user profile

on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 pm
Good review. I've sat in a GT86 and it did seem quite driver focused and low in an old school way. I actually saw a BRZ yesterday - the first I'd seen. They are rare compared to the Toyota. Is there actually much/any difference?
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:12 am
Hi Tom. Apparently there are some slighty differences in the spring and damper rates and stuff. I've read that the change can't really be felt but reviews say there is a slight difference.

Both vehicles have also just been facelifted with again tweaks to suspension.

The one i drove was the pre-facelift one and i was pretty impressed with the ride.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum