View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

2016 66 Subaru WRX STI 2.5

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 pm
Found myself comparing this to the BRZ...but they are very different cars so cannot really be compared...o any comparisons made can be....disgarded.

Stats:

2.5 4 cyl boxer engine

296bhp

221 lb/ft (that torque figure seems low?

0-60 5.2s

159mph max

1534kg

So, get in. Sporty interior. Black and red colour theme, Smart, tough. Not...fancy...kinda..no nonsense. Probably doesn't stand up to a Golf in touchy feely stuff or showroom appeal, but it's...sporty. Graphicy displays showing power, torque and other stuff. Didn't really delve into that as just wanted to drive the car.

Seats are figure hugging. BUT!!! They dont go low enough! I put it to lowest position and i still felt they should be about 6" lower. There was plenty of headroom etc, but they just felt a bit high in the cabin.

Start up...VROOMMM BOBOBOBOBOBOBOBOBOBOBOB. It's got a more obvious 'scooby' sound like Imprezas of a few years ago but still not as...obvious. Sounds good though.

Waggle gears...must be the same gearbox as the BRZ? Felt very similar indeed. Very short throw, no slack, with deliberate weighting. Engineered feel. Nice.

Steering somehow didn't impress me as it did in the BRZ. There was nothing really...wrong with it...it just didn't seem to give much feedback.

Set off..and the clutch is very...sensitive/precise. Revs are very sensitive too so not easy to make a smooth getaway.

Move off and the ride is very hard. Jiggly. Not really any worse than the Panda...but thats like...hard. Jiggles you around in the seat.

Also, lots of tyre noise. This is not a refined car to be in. The BRZ had a much more compliant ride and was probably a bit quieter on the tyre front.

Because of the tyre noise, you can't really hear the engine that well. I mean, you can, but The BRZ has a sound 'multiplyer' pipe thing into the cabin, this didn't which could be a good thing depening on what you think of them.

Anyway, lets get on to the proper stuff, how did it go?

Well, bloody fast is the answer. Doesn't really do a great deal below 3k revs but once over, it really gets going and pulls harder and harder all the way around the rev range, getting stronger all the way up.

Certainly one of the hardest pulling cars i've driven in a long time. Really pushes you back in the seat and you just plant your foot and hold on around the bends...

..and that is the difference. It gives thrills...and it's bloody quick...but the bit i said about hanging on, thats what you do. The performance gives a thrill, no doubt, and you make mega progress as the grip just seems....completely there. You demolish a road.

The BRZ is much slower in comparison...but like...the performance is usable and you can like....feel your way around bends, rather than storming around them.

I'd be lying if i said the WRX wasn't fun.....but the BRZ was definitely more fun. And actually, more ..easy going, day to day, too.

For reference, mpg was approx 23 after the semi-blat, whereas the BRZ was approx 38.

If perfomance is the thing you need...the WRX is much, much faster, do doubt about it. But if you want feedback and want to feel kinda..(cheesy phrase) 'a part of the car'..the BRZ is the one.

Forgot to mention, the gearchange couldn't be hurried. I dunno if it was cos it was still pretty new or down to the 4WD and diff etc, but you couldn't wang through the gears unless you wer very, very precise. If not, you'd not get the gear. Care required.
Admin
View user profile

Re: 2016 66 Subaru WRX STI 2.5

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:31 pm
sounds like a football hooligan, nuts, but not really very smart
View user profile

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:20 pm
Good review I don't know how that compares to my car.

I have the seat in the highest position. Jiggly yes. Gear stick precise but cannot be hurried. Yeah. Actually the whole of my car cannot be hurried.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm
Spot, yes, thats probably a good way of describing it. It never really...settles down.

Mogs, i think the closest i've driven to your car is a XV? (i think the XV is a slightly jacked up Impreza with a slightly different body) We dont actually have any Imprezas at all at the moment, new or used. They seem to have pretty much totally dropped off the radar here.
View user profile

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:51 pm
Ah yeah you are right. It's just like the XV. You must be a very small Subaru dealer.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm
Not at all, no bugger has Imprezas here!
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:21 pm
Just as a comparison. On autotrader, up to 5 years old, there are 185 XVs. .....and...

20 Imprezas.

Sad really. The Impreza used to be a cult car!
View user profile

on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:40 pm
It's not so sad. Here they are just some old cunts car.

Maybe I should debadge it and bring it to the UK. No one will know what it is.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:45 pm
Are you saying you are an old caaahnt, Mogs?
View user profile

on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm
hehehe. Very Happy
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 pm
He didn't deny it.
View user profile

on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:14 pm
The old style Agila had a far better image in many ways. Mostly driven by nutters.
View user profile

on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm
The problem with these is that Subaru have fallen behind with the engine tech - so while quick and character fuel the engine is, it is woefully behind others in terms of economy and emissions (top rate tax band etc), which means it will remain a niche product now. They have a fairly damaged reputation too after all the earlier models falling into the wrong hands, and losing g the plot with the poor looks of that previous hatchback model.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 am
Agreed. Very rare to see any around now.

For point and squirt fun (oo-er)...it's great. But....maybe...the game has moved on.

IMO it's too 'hardcore' to comfortably use daily.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum