View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Go electric

on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am
See more and more (forget the Prius, etc) but decent electric cars ...

Zoe - i3, i8, Tesla, Mini ...

Quite fancy one for the week, and a monster petrol for the weekend.

The silence, smoothness, and cost of an electric car in town is very appealing.
Admin
View user profile

Re: Go electric

on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 am
i'd love a fully electric....and i looked at the i3...but the range is just no good for my commute (unless i spent 40k at least on a second hand tezza
View user profile

on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am
You can get the range extender, which basically is backed up with a small petrol motor .... but for your journeys, Baz, i don't think they work.

In town I'm left with either stop-start every 2 minutes, or just leaving the engine running ... neither feel that refined or mechanically sympathetic .... Mini, Zoe, i3, would all do me ok
.... with a Boxster for the weekends - hehehe
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:59 am
no i3 range extenders in my price range....also the range extender is pretty pathetic on the i3 and the first generation only hit about 60 miles if you're lucky.......i dont need range anxiety in my life at the moment....but i will definitely be keeping an eye on future developments

the zoe was great when my bro test drove it....they can be had for 4k upwards now.....but you still have to rent the batteries
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:52 am
LK, second hand Leaf without battery lease.
View user profile

on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm
My mum and stepfather recent swapped their diesel Peugeot for a nearly new Nissan Leaf, wanting to be all eco friendly. They have another vehicle but it is a large motorhome, so essentially it is their only car. They said they couldn't manage a 60 mile mainly motorway round trip to visit family without stopping at the services for a charge.

I think that the cheaper electric cars would have to have a reliable >200 mile range before I am tempted. The range anxiety would kill me! Maybe fine if you have two cars - one for town and short trips, and another for longer journeys!
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 am
Thats poor isn't it. I thought that the real-world range of the Leaf was supposed to be around 90 miles? (less in winter)

To do 60 miles and need to have a charge......agreed...it's not good enough.

A leaf would probably suit us as one of our cars as we dont venture that far very often (and i could put the car on charge every night at home if needs be)...but yeah....thats disappointing.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum