View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

2015 BMW 335d Xdrive m sport

on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 pm
thought it was about time i did this, so here goes......possibly the most rounded car I have ever driven....

So you know the drill, i took a promotion at work which meant my work van went and a car was needed, i didnt want to give up the 370 and bought something i thought would do the trick......instantly regretting it - so i traded in the 370 and bought something far more expensive that i wanted to.....but this is for the longer term.

I'd always fancied trying a BMW 3.0 twin turbo diesel after all of the hype about what a good engine they were, so i found this car just 5 miles away and decided to test dtrive it (not with the intention of buying though!).....so i got to the dealer, listened to all of the sales patter and he located the car and off we went.....obviously the result was the purchase of the car

2015 m Sport model, 14k on the clock, full service history (haha, 1 service) and a snip at £22995 (the most i have ever spent on a car, the highest ever being the 20k Shitroen C8 brand new)

This caught my eye as it had the all important low miles...and to be honest, on inspection was virtually brand new....not a scuff on the paintwork, no wear in the leather and the steering wheel (always an obvious giveaway for use of a car) was as it was when it left the factory.

Looks/Asthmatics
Get the least important out of the way first......not a great looker in my opinion, its just a fairly simple looking saloon. the m sport kit obviously adds a bit of grrrr, and the wheels are ok (but coming from the gorgeous Forged Rays on the nissan with the uber gorgeous deep dish on the back, hard to warm to)....the colour is fantastic, looks great in the sunlight, as LK will tell you...really stunning.

Bit disappointing it has no LED DRL's, the 4 series of the same age has the angel eye DRL's...and  despite never having liked the twinkly led look on cars, they actually look ace......bot nut so here, just regular side light affairs.

the door handles light up so you can see them in the dark and the floor illuminates when the doors are opened, which is nice and the boot release is handy as it raises up on a remote button.

I'm not sure if the 335d has up rated brakes over the other 3 series models, but the discs are huge and the calipers are quite large....but they are a dirty grey with a black BMW logo...not really nice attention to detail in my opinion, especially as the alloys leave big gaps between spokes......similarly with the exhausts, the old 335's had twin pipes, one either side of the arse, which distinguished it from every other 3 series, but the new ones...all the way from the 320 to the 335 are just single sided twins - obviously this isn't an issue for me, but those looking for individuality would moan i imagine.

Interior
one word.....gorgeous.....remembering back to my E39 530i, its a different world, mine has the half aluminium trim with the matching blue stripe from left to right which follows on through the door panels, the instrument cluster has an LCD panel where the MPG dial would normally be, except in this case the MPG dial is digital and changes from mode to mode.....this same display also mirrors the sat nav and OBC stuff....nice touch, very 'modern'.....when in eco-pro mode, it also tells you went best to lift off (it knows a round-a-bout is ahead).

the stereo system is also very good...if anything it lacks bass, but i can tweak that later....I went for this one out of three on offer at a similar price because it has the Pro sat nav - so in other words it has the 8 inch wide screen which you can turn into a dual display so that you have sat nav on one side and the weather on the other....its also connected too, so you can do stuff online, this also includes BMW widgets, so by using IFTTT (if this, then that) you can tell the car to switch on your heating or your house lights when you get to...say...5 miles from your house......i've jokingly set it to pop up and say 'hey sexy bastard, you're 5 miles from home, tell steve to put the kettle on'.....pointless i know, but funny. it also has an 80gb hard drive to store your own crap on

if you change to sport + mode, you can change the display to show your BHP and Torque figures....bit pointless really, but there you go.....it can also play DVD's...again, bit pointless. You can download the BMW connect app to set various things on the car, you can lock it, unlock it, flash the lights, remind you where you parked and set the heaters to come on at any specified time, like a winters morning at 6am every day so your arse is warm when you get in.

the steering wheel is gorgeous, nice 3 spoke msport number, the flappy paddles are fixed to the wheel (as opposed to the column on the nissan) it also has the controls for cruise control, volume, track selection etc etc.....and also the voice command, which i havent really used as yet.

The iDrive is a piece of piss to use,  i remember reading reviews saying it used to be over complicated, but its very easy to use, the top of the dial is also a mouse pad, so you move your finger around to write stuff....you know, like post codes and stuff.

the seats are nice, they have a nice squeezing control to grip you, but as i'm a fat ass, this is pointless as my girth grips me just fine.....this is the first car where i can extend the base of the seat for further support....i really like this!.....also there is so much control over the seats, height/tilt/back/forward etc....driving position actually takes a while to get perfect as there are so many settings.

The Drive

Eco Pro mode.....i tested this all week last week, driving sensibly, keeping below 80, allowing the battery to regenerate when you lift off etc...and its just knocking on the door of 50mpg......come on, for a 3 litre engine, this is remarkable!........what sorcery is this??. - eco pro mode also does something to the Air con, but it was still icy cold.....it makes the car a little docile, but you can still 'kick down' and it powers off like a teenager in a strop.

Normal mode......had this on today for a 250 mile trip to Norwich, you can still plant the throttle and it flies,....its less soft than eco mode, but still wafts along.

Sport mode......hah, the display turns red, it shows you the drive train picture in red as though to say 'mon then, lets go', it firms up the suspension and changes the throttle so that a gentle tap sends you flying......stick it in 'flappy paddle' mode and come off a roundabout in second gear, then floor it.........holy mother of god, it hankers down and pins you in your seat....theres no slippage as its powering all 4 wheels and the gear change is absolutely lightning fast.....you know on supercars when you see the rev counter needle move quicker than light?....its like that, it just whips and you don't feel the change at all......with all that diesel torque, it never lets up....it will rev all the way up to 5000rpm and then zip back and just keep powering.....its hard to put it in to words, it just absolutely flies!....and this is coming from a slightly more powerful rear wheel drive sports car........BUT......in this mode, i looked at the driving history screen....and it sups the diesel, averaging 25mpg......oh and even though its a straight 6 diesel....it sounds like a petrol when you wang it!.

Sports + mode.....don't be silly, this does away with traction and probably should be used on a track.....i've not tried it......apparently in this mode you can trigger launch control,  put the car in drive, throttle up to 3000rpm whilst maintaining the brake....and then power away..........and no....i haven't tried it.

The brakes are very good, this is a 2 tonne car after all and its as big as the E39 5 series, easily......it stops very well, as it should.

the gearbox is a stubby little handled affair, i click downward for N, one up for D and one up for R....the parking break is located at the top of the handle....the whole thing is stuck in one position, meaning it doesn't slide up and down a gate, its just all done with microswitches....very funky.

Verdict

its a 3 in 1....... a gentle cruiser in eco mode, and normal car in normal mode....and a wolf in sheeps clothing in sport mode....really really bizarre as it costs £150 a year to tax, yet gets to 60 in 4.8 seconds with 313 Bhp but can return up to 65mpg (not sure where, but it can apparently), this shouldn't be possible!

love it, absolutely love it!
View user profile

Re: 2015 BMW 335d Xdrive m sport

on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 pm
Sounds very nice old boy!!

Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 pm
Fantastic review! Brilliant!
View user profile

on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm
Sounds like an awesome bit of kit!! Very Happy Amazing to think that if you wanted that sort of power 20 years ago you'd have to buy the likes of a Toyota Supra 3.0 twin-turbo (326 bhp), but now you can get that level of performance in diesel saloons, with the economy of a diesel to boot. Cool
View user profile

on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm
Twenty-three thousand pounds on a car.

Scary.

I'm all green eyed monster Very Happy   sounds divine.

Last edited by John c on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user profile

on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh the X drive nice. I'd have one of them here.

Incredible how the Germans managed to build the perfect car for the European laws..

View user profile

on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 pm
Sounds nice !!!

Yes the colour is amazing.

Has yours got the subwoofers under the front seats?? You can upgrade them, although for me it wasn't the bass that was the issue, it was the lack of tweeters, so i put some in.

How amazing is the M sport steering wheel ?!

The interior of the 1 and 3 is virtually identical and i really like it, and the sports seats.

Since pressing the sports button the moment i start the engine i've started to really love my car, in mine the standard mode is just too soft ... Mine really does cover all the bases - comfortable, fun, practical, and for what I paid for it nothing comes close .... So the M335d must be an absolute beast !!

Most rounded car ever ..... Ideally for the most rounded Dude ever - lol
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:36 am
I'd add soemthing extra - i think the most rounded car ever (if it's available) would be a 335d x drive - but as a touring for the extra practicality.

But if you dont need the extra practicality....thats fine and you've got a corker of a car!
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 am
LKsOK wrote:Sounds nice !!!

Has yours got the subwoofers under the front seats?? You can upgrade them, although for me it wasn't the bass that was the issue, it was the lack of tweeters, so i put some in.

Most rounded car ever ..... Ideally for the most rounded Dude ever - lol

it has and although they add a bit of oomph to the overall sound, its not sufficient, so i have upgraded that already...ahem

as for your last comment, the only reason i am so round is that its my sexiness trying to escape, but i don't think the world can handle it
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:08 pm
Remember - you'll need to refer to the car as the M3 (35D) from now on!

It standard ettiquette!

View user profile

on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:19 pm
Great review. Fantastically capable car. Love the colour too - it is what I'd choose (though I've seen some with the bright red leather interior, which really does not go!)
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum