View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Automatics...

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm
... How do you keep yours still?

So I've had the Volvo for 3 weeks now, first automatic car I've owned - however, when stopping at lights or in traffic or whatever, I do wonder what the best thing to do is - put it in neutral with the handbrake on, leave it in drive with the handbrake on, or leave it in drive and sit on the footbrake (dazzling the driver behind with the brake lights)?

What do you guys do?

I've Googled it but there seems to be varied opinions and different arguments for each method. Apparently switching from neutral to drive regularly increases wear and tear on the gearbox? It does seem a bit unnatural to sit with the brakes on while the car is constantly trying to pull forward, but I had an XC60 automatic for a few days recently and only when you sat still in drive with your foot on the brake would the start/stop activate, so that indicated it was the 'right' thing to do?

I remember Trevor P having a BlogSpot page about driving automatics and different techniques... Buggered if I can find it though lol.
Admin
View user profile

Re: Automatics...

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Personally (and i drive autos rarely) - when at a stop for any length of time (more than a few seconds) i put back into neutral and put handbrake on. I dont like the idea of:

a) sitting with a strain on the brakes
b) sitting with a strain on the transmission
c) blinding person behind me with lights

HOWEVER! I've driven mainly older-tech autos where you can feel the car straining to pull away if not in neutral. Modern autos may not have this? (i.e i've just today driven a C350e merc -reviews section) and that seemed to not have any strain at all, once it was stationary.
View user profile

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 pm
A question for VFC if ever I saw one

I used to go into neutral and hand brake for traffic lights but this was an ancient auto
View user profile

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:52 pm
When setting still for more than about 10 seconds, I leave it in Drive and pop the handbrake (electronic) on. On most modern autos I think this should disengage the torque converter.

When the lights go green, it also means you can give a good hoof to pull away with haste.......

View user profile

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:43 pm
When I was in Canada the hand brake is actually the emergency brake. For when you have no brakes. So it's drive and the foot brake on. Or park and then you don't need the foot brake or the emergency brake. Hand-foot brake that's for emergencies..... a lot of cars really don't have an hand brake. The emergency brake is another foot pedal that as you push down makes a ratchet noise, you have to push it down and release it in a kind of movement before it triggers the next click, then you get the release.

Ï don't like autos...
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 pm
the M335D(sorry LK).....I mean the 335 chops the engine and disengages the gearbox.....although its a tad annoying, so i usually just chuck it in N if its longer than 10-15 seconds - i always thought the engine was just sat there straining
View user profile

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:33 pm
Paul123 wrote:A question for VFC if ever I saw one

I used to go into neutral and hand brake for traffic lights but this was an ancient auto

Correct Paul - thanks...

Stay in auto - uses less wear on the box - I use footbrake in daylight - handbrake at night.

Google Honest John or any source on the subject - torque convertor boxes are happier with this procedure.

VFC
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:49 pm
Interesting. I never liked that straining feeling myself! (Talking about the cars here!) But you say it's ok? Cool. And like spot and hugh says, modern ones disengage drive?
View user profile

on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 am
MegaCrixel wrote:Interesting. I never liked that straining feeling myself! (Talking about the cars here!) But you say it's ok? Cool. And like spot and hugh says, modern ones disengage drive?

IAM and RoSPA and all the Police drivers I have driven with agreed that leaving it in drive was the kindest to the transmission - I have done this since my first auto in the States in the 1960s.

VFC
View user profile

on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:57 am

Yeah it's true. It's because the elastic bands inside the automatic gearbox get stressed if you change it out of drive.

Very Happy
View user profile

on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:44 am
Footbrake in the day, handbrake at night - makes sense. Smile

Thanks for the input guys.

The 'box does seem a bit iffy though - when in Day mode, it works fine; however, when in Night mode, the engine just revs its bollocks off but the car moves nowhere? Oh, and the less said about Race mode, the better!!
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 pm
I see what you did there Wink

I was about to comment....but then i clicked Wink
View user profile

on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:49 pm
Hehe.

There's also an 'L', which I'm guessing is Lazy mode, and a 'W', which presumably means Wanker mode and turns it into an Audi? Wink

I must admit, I was a little startled with the Slow mode in the XC60 I drove the other day - it took off like a scalded cat!!
View user profile

on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 pm
George want to go go go all the time in D, but wife's car isn't (apparently) an auto box but rather an auto clutch! Whatever, it doesn't creep. Clever...
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:05 am
My fave autos are probably DSGs. Very quick and smooth changes.

The Jeeeeaaag had a more old fashioned typical torque converter 'box and was also very smooth...but it was possible to flummox it if you were trying to be quick etc. It did things at it's own pace but did them smoothly. Sport mode didn't work, however, so i never got to experience that.

However, she was a fairly brisk matron.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum