View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

2007 07 Honda Civic 1.8 i-vtec EX

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 am
I dont think i've done a review of the Civic yet.

Good bits:

I think it still looks great. Interesting and funky, certainly for Honda at the time.
I also think the dash is great with it's sweeping sections and LED displays mixed with the big blue-backlit rev counter. Mine also has Sat Nav and the screen is really nicely integrated into the top of the dash.
Good driving position.
Very good gearchange
Engine is smooth and nice to use.
Performance is very good when you work the car hard, it's a car that feels better the faster you go.
Nice, sharp steering, has a sporty feel.
When you are in the mood, it's fun and the orange REV lights (6 of them) light up as you get right up near the rev limiter, kind of egging you on.
Alternatively, green ECO lights light up when you drive very steadily.
Loads of kit, sat nav, cruise, dual zone climate, x4 elec wins, bluetooth, voice control for various commands etc
Big inside and boot. Good rear leg and headroom. I can sit behind myself at 6ft 2". Very big boot for the size of car.
Clever 'magic' rear seats which fold totally flat down....or fold upwards like cinema seats, totally out of the way for a long, flat load, or something. Very clever indeed.
40-ish MPG average, i'm quite happy with.
It's quite quiet and smooth ay 70mph on the m-way. Feels stable.

Less good bits:

Engine is not 'exciting' or urgent to use. The i-vtec doesn't have the same characteristics as a 'normal' VTEC so you dont get a manic top end, just a gradual increase in power as you go up the revs - however you still need to be up there for things to happen. (oo-er Matron)
Lower down the range, the engine is extremely well behaved and smooth....but...not really....interested. This can sometimes leave you expecting more.
It certainly doesn't feel like a 8.6s 0-60 car unless you absolutely cane it, which is fine if you are OK with that.
The engine does sound good, very good as you work it harder - but again it doesn't have that VTEC jump or rorty bark that i've experienced before. It has VCT so the cam does magic things to increase torque at lower revs - HOWEVER - the Puma was MUCH more noticeable for this and overall, the Puma engine was better IMO.
Sometimes i wonder if it needs 6 gears. 4th and 5th are so close together....almost like not changing gear at all.
A general thing is refinement, which i'd read about so was expecting. It's not a particularly quiet car to be in. However, because i've come from mainly older stuff, it's not worse than those...but i'd imagine it's not quiet compared to newer stuff. I'm talking in terms of road and wind noise.
The ride is a touch too harsh for my liking. This is where my penchant for old Frenchies comes in...i do like a nice lolloping gait. The Civic is much more firm and harsh but again i knew about this and was expecting it. It's not in the Pandas league for firmness (not much is) but it's just that bit too....crashy over bumps...for me to be fully OK with it. As mentioned, the faster you go, the better it gets and it does give a stable feel at higher speeds.
The rear door shape is not great for entry (oo-er Matron!). Its a sacrifice for the coupe-like shape i suppose but you're in, there is very good room in the back.
No spare wheel. Big cubby under the boot ready for spare wheel but one doesn't come as standard, jus the foam repair kit thing.
Oh and the air con doesn't bloody work. I had it regassed and changed a common problem relay (which was indeed broken) but it still doesnt bloody work so i'll need to have a proper look into why.
Oh and another thing - the paint quality is really poor! I noticed this before i bought it but it wasn't a deal breaker. It's just really think paint that has scratched easily over the years and has needed lots of touch ups. It looks great from a distance but when you have a good look up close...there are many imperfections. I'd be annoyed if it was a newer more expensive car but at this stage, it's fine. It just...a tad annoying...that i've had vastly older cars than this with better paint condition. I think metallic also helps to give an extra sheen, this is solid red.

Overall....it's a car that has more to give that i'm currenly asking of it. It will soon be tested for practicality when baby girl arrives.

It's a car that prefers to be driven fast and hard and when you do, it responds. Mooching around...it's not that happy but remains well behaved.
View user profile

Re: 2007 07 Honda Civic 1.8 i-vtec EX

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 am
Crix ... sounds like a good car to me ... and as you are soon to be a young family of 4, just think of the safety credentials.

I went off cars for a couple of years when the kids were really young - so a stressfree, comfortable and reliable car is just what you need at this moment, and you can go back to your carpy French things when the kids are a bit older - lol.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 am
Haha, you are exactly right LK...i'm still thinking about cars at the moment...but i know soon....i wont know what day it is, never mind what car i'm driving.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am
always admired Honda when they bought the new Civic out, it was such a mould breaker from the usual mundane-o-bile.

the dash still looks like its from a spaceship......screw Area 51, I think honda have UFO's stored in their bunkers in Tokyo
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:26 pm
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum