View previous topicGo downView next topic
Admin
View user profile

2017 17 Volkswagen up! High Up 1.0 TSI 3dr

on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:37 am
Yo dudes.

It shows the type of car person i am...when something like the above is actually pretty interesting to me. I tend to like small cars as they have to do everything a big car does but using less road and less cost.

The up! is already a very good car. I drove a couple when they were new in 2012ish. I've also since driven a SEAT Mii and a Skoda Citigo, which are essentially the same car.

VAG clearly looked at PSA/Toyota and the C1/107/Aygo triplets and thought 'we need to do that'.

The ones' i've driven before all had the 60bhp 1.0 engine. It's a 3cyl unit and it's a fun little thing, quite characterful and not as slow as the 14 second 0-60 time would suggest. In fact i suspect they will get to 60 quicker than 14 seconds but i have no proof of this.

The one driven today has the 1.0 TSI engine which was introduced more recently to the up!. I dont know if the Citigo and Mii actually get this engine as VW like to keep the best bits for themselves....and eventually water it down. (actually Audi usually get first dibs, then VW, etc etc)

Specs:

Urban mpg
64.2 mpg

Extra Urban mpg
74.3 mpg

Average mpg
64.2 mpg

CO2 emissions
108 g/km

Performance

Engine power
89 bhp

Engine size
999 cc

Brochure Engine size
1.0 litres

Acceleration (0-60mph)
9.9 seconds

Top speed:115 mph

Kerbweight: 1002kg

I *think* this engine may the same one they are going to use for the up! GTI but that will have approx 118PS.

Insides first...and it's as good as it can be for the city car class. It's not expensive or plush in terms of quality...but in terms of colours and patterns used...it looks 'premium'. The up! is a very boxy car with straight sides and this shows inside where there is definitely more width than the 107, for example. It feels bright and airy and spacious. The boot is also a decent size at 225ish litres.

It's as big inside as it can be given the exterior size, which is good.

These are hard to fault really. Nothing really stands out as amazing…but nothing is bad either.

It’s good to drive with a decent ride and refinement. It’s definitely less refined and smooth than the new C3 but it’s decent. Probably as good as you can get for the sub-supermini class.

Steering – I felt it was a bit light and low geared. This may be in comparison to the Civic which is quite sharp…but I did feel the steering was a bit too ‘assisted’ and required quite a bit of twirling.

Gearchange – all good. Not amazing…but a nice decent gearshift.

Visibility good all round thanks to the straight sides and big windows.

Now, the engine. It feels and sounds just like the N/A 60ps (and 75ps) versions initially. It’s clear that this isn’t a revving screamer of an engine. On throttle, after a bit of typical turbo mushy delay..you get a good, strong pull and it does go well. It sounds quite good too in the typical 3cyl ‘half a Porsche’ way.

0-62 is quoted at 9.9s and I did a highlight accurate self-timed 0-60 which was approx. 9 seconds, and that was with a bit of a chirp and intervention of the traction control, by no means a good getaway, so pretty good. It feels brisk and has plenty of go for overtaking, etc.

I wouldn’t say it was any more 'fun' than the 60PS versions. Obviously there is clearly more ‘go’ than the lower power version which is enjoyable, but by the same measure…the lower power versions need to be worked harder, which maybe gives more of a driver engagement feel…where the TSI has plenty of boost to work with a more relaxed driving style and doesn’t need working hard. Swings and roundabouts. Obviously I’d choose the TSI for the extra performance but the less powerful versions are by no means disgraced.

The gearing is very long. It’s the kind of car where it ‘feels’ better sitting in 3rd at 30-40mph rather than 4th…but in truth, the engine has enough flexibility and tractability to be in 4th. It just has that low revving feel and sound but I think it’s normal for the car.

So yeah, I really liked it. I don’t like the £12,200 price tag though. Silly really. This is a high spec model with heated seats etc…BUT! I notice that apparently the screen thing isn’t standard now, I’m sure it used to be. You get a rather ugly fixed cradle thing on the dash top.

The GTI should be a cracker. If it feels like this…but with a more sporty interior/seats and hopefully more of a soundtrack, should be a great thing. But I reckon it’ll be £15-16k. Which is daft for a little 1.0 city car…but people will pay it. They’ll be sold out, whatever the price.

View user profile

Re: 2017 17 Volkswagen up! High Up 1.0 TSI 3dr

on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 pm
Good review, mate.

I love small cars too - other than the wifes car, never had anything bigger than the A3 / 1 series

View user profile

on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:30 am
I still think the Mark 1 Agila was better. Probably cheaper, bigger inside and sit up higher, bad side use more fuel and less reliable. I still smile when I see someone driving one, getting rarer by the year though. Probably people don't want to sell, but they gets expensive to maintain, so they shop it in for an Up! and get disappointed.

Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:10 am
I would like to say, the reason there are still a few Agilas about is IMO the fact they are mainly Suzukis. Had they been a completely GM product, i'm not sure there would be many left at all.

It served you well, Mogs!

Do you have the equivalent of the VOSA MOT checker thing over there for your car? Ie put the reg in and see if it's still on the road, kinda thing?
View user profile

on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 pm
The mark 1 shape one is the only one. The GM one I had, had zero rust and think it wasn't so true for the Suzuki's.

I transferred the plates from the Agila to Subaru - it's what you do here. I don't know I can track that car.

Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:25 pm
" The first generation Agila was a rebadgedversion of the Suzuki Wagon R+, which was produced in Japan. The Agila's Opel sourced 1.0 and 1.2 litre petrol engines were smaller than the 1.3 litre found in the European market Wagon R+, but were more powerful and refined.

The 1.0 engine was the Z10XE engine with three cylinders in line and 973 cc. The 1.2 engine was the Z12XE with four cylinders in line and 1248 cc. The Agila was built at Opel's factory in Gliwice, Poland. The Suzuki Wagon R+ was built at the Magyar Suzuki plant inEsztergom, Hungary. "

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum