View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

LKs Dilema ...

on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 22:42
Let me put you in my shoes for a minute, and see where you'd go.

Really getting itchy feet at the moment to change the car - I might look back and think it's one of the best cars I've owned ... but here are the options ...

What would you do ...

The scinareo is that you have and own outright  a 12k Mile BMW M118i worth let's say £15k. It's got a new MOT, and is highly unlikely to cause you any issues in the near future. Furthermore you've owned it since it had only 3,000 miles on it, so you know everything about it.

Your options are as follows.

1. Keep the BMW, the grass is always greener - that's life
2. Selling the BM and throw more money at a more expensive car. (Not hugely appealing to me - but an option)
3. You sell the BMW and buy something cheaper just for the sake of a change - pocket some cash, and buy something different.
4. You sell the BM and lease a car for a couple of years - pocketing some cash, but put yourself in a situation of monthly payments.

Go !!
View user profile

Re: LKs Dilema ...

on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 23:10
You're not doing enough miles for a lease to be any good. Your current BMW does the job, but isn't really very exciting, as you've said.

I don't think you should change for the sake of change either - perceived higher risk; and you're probably the most risk averse person in the world. The same reasoning puts you off spending more on a car too...

That means non of the above!!

You should never have got rid of your Mini. More exciting than your BMW, wasn't losing money too much either.

So, sell the BMW and get another Mini or a Renault Clio sport....

View user profile

on Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 23:34
Good answers .... Mini Cooper S is tempting.

Yes, I am risk adverse ... but for the following resdons ...

1. I grew up in a house (council house for a lot of it) with very little money, so I've never had any handouts, but also, I've lived my life knowing that if I fook up - I am fooked.
2. I don't earn as much as people probably think I do, so to have nice cars, holidays, etc, etc I've got to be very very careful where I split my money.

The Clio idea is a good one - they are one of my secret loves, but like this weekend - I want a car that's flexible to do long trips, sometimes with the kids, and a Clio is probably a step too far ... may go and test drive a newish Mini Cooper S though ...

Oh, re. My old Mini - too many issues - I spent £1000 on that in about 6 months, and it still had issues - had to go.
View user profile

on Fri 8 Sep 2017 - 6:58

You don't do many miles and you are smart with money. Therefore thinking out of the box (as usual), get something that is going to appreciate in value if you look after it. So in short a BMW 850.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series

View user profile

on Fri 8 Sep 2017 - 8:37
The only way you'll "improve" your current package is to spend more money. So option 3 is out.

I've been where you are more times than i care to remember, that new car feel doesnt last long and you'll either be in a commitment or feeling the same within weeks.

Better the devil you know, stop looking at the ads and find something else to concern you.

View user profile

on Fri 8 Sep 2017 - 11:50
If you can afford to keep and run the BMW, I'd stay put personally, as it provides financial stability. Smile
View user profile

on Fri 8 Sep 2017 - 13:39
EffEff wrote:If you can afford to keep and run the BMW, I'd stay put personally, as it provides financial stability. Smile

The like for like Mini Cooper S would do that too ??

BMW is all paid for, not a lot likely to go wrong - so financially it's very easy
View user profile

on Fri 8 Sep 2017 - 21:49
You'll never like the BMW because its boring, its not a bad car its just dull compared to the other cars you've had
View user profile

on Fri 8 Sep 2017 - 22:32
Paul123 wrote:You'll never like the BMW because its boring, its not a bad car its just dull compared to the other cars you've had

Nail on head ...

I was chasing a Focus ST up our local dual carriageway this evening - and the BMW actually doesn't lack pace, just drama .... it's just too refined and quiet, which sounds crazy - but dem the facts ...
View user profile

on Sat 9 Sep 2017 - 8:08
Character and involvement - two things that your car is lacking? Your current car doesn't really do either to any degree. It's efficient, but bland.

My friend is soon getting rid of his Smart Brabus soft top (2004 with 45k miles) - around town it's a blast; 45mpg and easy to park. Makes a good noise (in a small car way!)

Perfect car for you?!

View user profile

on Sat 9 Sep 2017 - 8:21
Nope - got to have 4 seats .....

There really isn't much out there that offers the noise and drama (at a sensible price) anymore.

I drove the latest Audi S3 (same set up as the Golf R) recently, and it was also really bland.

I think back to my V6 Audi A3 (and thus the Golf R32), and that had character in spades ....

I really want to change cars - but the only thing stopping me - is what to !!!???

Mini Cooper S is actually the closest in terms of a car with character I can think of .... but deep down I really would like more cylinders, more BHp(300+), and maybe more space .... the character side of it hugely appeals though.

View user profile

on Sat 9 Sep 2017 - 9:58
Tricky one. AS you know I tend to go for larger engined cars - my theory being it's hard to constantly thrash one (when compared to a smaller engine). I feel this is important when buying second hand cars that are 7 years old+.

I like cars that show more than one side. The Avantime wasn't the best "drive", with a 3L V6 it wasn't too bad once going. It had a very high waft factor and looks that got attention. The 2 Saabs were both 2.8Turbo V6s - fairly swift and a nice noise. The 9-5 was very rare and turned heads. Both were very firm (especially when compared to the Avantime!).

The SV8 and XFR certainly have 2 sides. On the one hand, they are very comfortable and go from A to B very efficiently. They can potter around at less than 2000 rpm making the driver feel safe and make you feel good. I really look forward to my commute each day - its a great place to be. The other side to the car is the "character" of the engine. There is a part of my drive home with a series of 90 degree bends with 200m straights leading into them. It's not very often that part of the road is clear, but it was yesterday. Using the flappy paddles (and Dynamic mode) the engine wakes up - making a trouser grabbing V8 noise (with a little supercharge whine on top!). Then, once through the bends and into a 40mph limit, back into Drive and everything wafts along nicely. Much of the enjoyment comes from knowing what's in reserve, not having to prove it.

So - get a V6 (or V8), but with character - as fun to potter around in as it is to go for a blast on an A road.

After a quick thing and a search - this is what you need! Keep £4k in a bank account for "niggles". It has character in heaps - V6 engine, pretty engine bay and the looks - ohh the looks!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709048962564?make=ALFA%20ROMEO&sort=sponsored&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&postcode=bs217qa&advertising-location=at_cars&model=BRERA&page=2
View user profile

on Sat 9 Sep 2017 - 21:13
What about keeping the BM, but making some changes?

Like a remap and performance exhaust (by that, I don't mean crap boy racer style).
View user profile

on Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 18:19
ianw182 wrote:What about keeping the BM, but making some changes?

Like a remap and performance exhaust (by that, I don't mean crap boy racer style).

Possibly - but not sure I can take it far enough..... ultimately the cars just too sanitised for my tastes ....

Any thoughts on a Civic Type R ??
View user profile

on Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 23:30
LKsOK wrote:
ianw182 wrote:What about keeping the BM, but making some changes?

Possibly - but not sure I can take it far enough..... ultimately the cars just too sanitised for my tastes ....

Any thoughts on a Civic Type R ??

Too much "show", not enough "go"....... V6 Alfa - for looks and feel good factor....

The Civic shares many parts with a Tamiya remote controlled car.

Admin
View user profile

on Tue 12 Sep 2017 - 10:04
Loz, you are never going to be happy with the 118i Msport (the right way round), you've made so many posts about this in the past that its now becoming annoying, so STOP IT.....ahem

Lets look at the real facts shall we.......you're a Lahndaner.....you're an estate agent and thus you require an image......so come on, lets get this real.

You want to align yourself with the Porsche Posse, but even you know its not practical for the family, you want something flashy in order to blend with the london set and look a certain way when flogging 8 million pound 1 bed flats........i get it!.....i really do!

Stop beating around the bush, a mini wont cut it for you, a Civic Type R is a chav's wet dream (the latest one looks likes it was designed by homer simpson), if you are going to join in, then you need a Merc/BM/Audi with a large-ish engine in any flavour and then you will be happy, you will have 4 seats and most importantly, Londoners wont point and laugh

View user profile

on Tue 12 Sep 2017 - 10:30
The title made me think of;

Portnoy's Complaint - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portnoy%27s_Complaint
On the first page of the novel, one finds this clinical definition of "Portnoy's Complaint", as if taken from a manual on sexual dysfunction: Portnoy's Complaint: A disorder in which strongly felt ethical and altruistic impulses are perpetually warring with extreme sexual longings, often of a perverse nature...

A famous book by Roth I think... what we know of the poster made a connection likely???

VFC.
View user profile

on Tue 12 Sep 2017 - 12:38
I have the solution! Keep the BMW, but buy this...

http://www.motor-hub.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-corolla-1-3-gl-5dr-keighley-201701030965609

... drive it for 6 months, then go back in the BMW - it'll feel like a Rolls Royce after that!! Wink

Would something hard core like an Audi S4/RS4 or even an AMG Mercedes C-class do?
View user profile

on Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 22:06
View user profile

on Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 13:17
Nice!! Serious motors - amazing engine and exhaust note. If RS4s are in the running, does that mean an M3 or AMG Mercedes could be a possibility?
View user profile

on Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 14:51
The Audi A4 / A5 convertible / manual transmission / all wheel drive / petrol would certainly be my choice. It ticks so many boxes.

View user profile

on Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 16:23
M and AMG - subject to reliability - yep.

The Germans are so expensive though - I'd happily buy another Alfa, except all the current ones are carp ...

I need to do something soon - the time has come - and I want to make it a big one !!
View user profile

on Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 21:06
Standing at the pub toilet - big African rushed in and said - Just made it!

I looked and replied - Can you make me one like that?

VFC
View user profile

on Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 23:15

How much?!!!! I paid £1200 less than that for my XFR - 3 years newer and same milage. Also has a roof!

Do check out service costs!!
View user profile

on Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 12:18
hugh121 wrote:

How much?!!!! I paid £1200 less than that for my XFR - 3 years newer and same milage. Also has a roof!

Do check out service costs!!

They're cheaper up north!! Smile

http://www.motor-hub.co.uk/used-cars/audi-rs4-cabriolet-4-2-quattro-2dr-keighley-201607276225241
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum