View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Biggest Surprise?

on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:31 pm
Had the S80 for 3 months now - still think it's a great car, especially for the money. The biggest surprise has to be the MPG - bearing in mind it replaced a Laguna 1.5dCi that managed around 49mpg, is 12 years old, has 127,000 miles on the clock, has a 2.4-litre engine with 163bhp and automatic transmission...

Not bad at all I reckon. Smile

So, what's the biggest surprise (or disappointment if you like) with your cars?
View user profile

Re: Biggest Surprise?

on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Wow that is good miles per gallon. Actually I cannot quite believe it from a big petrol..

Anyway. My car you asked what's impressive.

This car kind of runs smooth, you put your foot down there is a kind whosh from the engine, it's a 1.6 so it's kind of maximum power. But it does run smooth all the time. Yeah and up the mountains I put it in low and get lots of gears, which you change all the time, because you are in low range.

Yeah... I like it.

View user profile

on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 pm
Biggest surprise for me is how many looks it gets.

Bog standard 1 series are pretty ugly things - but add M Sport kits and wheels to them, and they start looking pretty good, add privacy glass and Estoril blue paintwork, and I think it looks brilliant.

Biggest suprise driving is quite how much torque a 1.6T can have - I don't know if it has an overboost function, but torque wise it's brilliant ... it just then feels when you are really pushing it, it lacks outright power - but as VFC has eluded to - maybe I expect too much from it, escprically when I just step in to it, straight from a 911
View user profile

on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm
Qashqai - biggest surprise was how pants the mpg was. Also the lack of boot space and narrow rear seats

TT - Just fun and can fit two adults and two small children, what's not to like
View user profile

on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:06 pm
Paul123 wrote:Qashqai - biggest surprise was how pants the mpg was. Also the lack of boot space and narrow rear seats

TT - Just fun and can fit two adults and two small children, what's not to like

Quasqai's are crazy small in reality - we've had a few as hire cars over the years, and we couldn't get the kids bikes in the boot- Zafira might be ugly- but it's seriously practical.

TT - good cars - but falling in value Laughing £1950 - final offer Laughing
View user profile

on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:32 pm
It's losing less money than your M118iD
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 am
Biggest surprise - Driving frugally and getting 52mpg from a 3.0 twin turbo - yet popping it in manual sport and leaving most respectable sports cars for dust........and its a diesel which costs 150 a year to tax - utterly amazing machine......suspension is too soft though
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 am
You got the adaptive suspension, Basil ??
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 am
i dont think so......sport mode turns the gear change into a neck snap....but doesnt appear to do suspension.

is there a website like there used to be for manufacturers where you can get your spec from the VIN?......one thing that i REALLY dont like is the 1950's halogen set up, its shit, LED should be standard at this level
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm
to answer my own question - https://www.bmwvin.com/

and yes, it does have adaptive suspension, i shall have a play with iDrive later :/
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm
Spots biggest surprise just changed
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm
just tried it at lunchtime..........my sport mode was set to drivetrain only......i've set it to drivetrain and suspension........yeah.....yeah that's a lot harder now Very Happy

Doh
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm
Biggest surprise? Driving home from work I pulled up alongside a Focus RS. 100m of 2 lanes then a merge into 1...... The RS driver seemed rather surprised that my car wasn't a diesel.....
View user profile

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 pm
Spot wrote:just tried it at lunchtime..........my sport mode was set to drivetrain only......i've set it to drivetrain and suspension........yeah.....yeah that's a lot harder now Very Happy

Doh

Nice one - never heard of a soft M Sport car - mines rock solid (and my car Laughing )

Let the fun begin
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 am
Really good mpg there FF.

View user profile

on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:32 am
My biggest surprise, wife's C4 couple of weeks back. Borrowed it, left it in auto, but applied "S" and hammered the shite out of it (Inversmell to Rosehall Spot, over the Struey) did a phenominal milage in such a short time....But THAT wasn't the surprise! No, THAT was when I had the hammer down, then braked (in "S" mode mind) and she dropped gears so when you were ready to go, you would floor it and the appropriate gear was handed to you on a plate! Shocked Normally, it get's into top gear asap, but in "S" it is still in 5th at 95mph (on a mates runaway of course Wink ) so the rev's are always correct for your speed, and therefore your gear. Cracking wee car to hammer....I mean drive bounce

Other surprise is that, given they are supposedly horrendously unreliable, that George hasn't failed and left me stranded!

The other other surprise is that I finally got my appointment for my MRI to find what's going on inside my shoulder! It's today, Monday 18th Sept 2017.

Although, the physio (a new one) agree'd with me that likely, given that I was propelled down groundwards by two metric tonnes of steel,that some bone(s) in my shoulder broke and now the slow healing is the cause of the ever increasing pain as scar tissue is forming & highly likely to be wrapping a nerve around it. That and the deltoid muscle that has been ripped in two since before March this year (apparently, the spasms are also causing the relentless agony).

And the biggest surprise of all is I am as hard as f'kin nails Suspect
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 pm
refueled by work, drove home (50m) in Eco-pro, keeping under 70...and the result nearing home:

just an amazing feat of engineering and a blisteringly good engine!
Admin
View user profile

Today at 12:10 am
Very nice indeed.
View user profile

Today at 8:17 am
Looks good Spoticus!
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum