Go down
View user profile

Range Rover P38

on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:27 pm
Awesome barge.

Suspension: airbag, comfy as. Easy to replace. but the pumpy bits & sensors can go wrong and if you haven't a clue you're screwed as you have to take it to Big Dave's Range Rover Repair Emporium.

Engine: Mines the reliable 4.0 petrol V8 with loads of grunt and more eco friendly than a super tanker

Box: 4 speed auto. Should have been a five speed, but it has the ability to go low ratio to get you up mountains. Nuff said.

Interior: : Leather, reasonably well laid out for a 17 year old car and most stuff works, but need to take the heating controller apart to clean the contacts. That'll happen when I get a chance.

Running costs: Four tyres in July cost 360GBP and just paid 300GBP for a set of winter tyres. However, this makes sense because I can get to work/gigs in far flung places in the worst winter weather. Also,if you crash off road due to driving summer tyres, the costs can spiral out of control. Lack of car means taxi's or lifts, lack of work, damage repairs or loss of no claims and so on. Currently getting 15+mpg but could possibly squeeze a smidgen more if I drove more conservatively Wink

As a car it does everything I need/want. It looks good in my eyes and after the initial outlay, has been pretty reliable so far. Next purchase will be brake pads and some tarting of the front grille.

I like it Very Happy
View user profile

Re: Range Rover P38

on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Yeah I'd have one in a second if I could look after it.

Really it's always big enough, always 4 wheel drive enough and always powerful enough.

View user profile

on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:52 pm
Winter Review:

Well, here's a thing. It snowed and snowed and snowed up here so the A9 is a bit of a mess (was even mentioned on Radio 2 travel report) so I ventured forth in my righteous fashion in a bid to help the fools & plebs for an hour.

I went up the steeeep Drumossie Brae (Spot knows, perhaps some of the chaps wot used to visit Spot will remember and deffo Crix when he came up for the Saxoid will remember just how steeeeeep Drumossie is ????

Anyhoo, lane 1 was clear-ish, but lane 2 was 6 inches deep in the white stuff.

George battered up that hill at 70mph in lane two (well, be rude not to....) with nary a flutter from the ABS or TC. She ran straight and true all the way to the end of the dual sections. Then, I had to overtake at least a thousand 20/30mph white knuckled jockeys with strained faces scared shitless because they KNOW it's snowing very badly yet they insist on driving roads they have been told will be shit with snow (well, only for cunts, they were fine for me) to the extent that even the police got annoyed with them (I parked beside a cop car with it's beacons flashing and spoke to the occupants, who agreed that people are more or less thick as mince).

So, I spent an hour hooning around in snow, overtaking lesser mortals in their sheds and loving every second.

In sumation, a Range Rover P38 is fuucking awesome at the best of times, but when it has almost new snow tyres and is driven fabulously in serious amounts of snow in -1c, it had to be the best car on the A9 today Basketball bounce pirat sunny king lol!
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am
Drive safe Andoo!
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 am
Spot loved taking it up the Drumossie Brae with Crix......
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm
Andoo.......remember, you are not invincible.....yes, you have snow tyres, yes you have 4 wheel drive, but hit a patch of ice and neither will matter - Aiden needs his dad, even if he is a fat caaahnt.

peace out
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:18 pm
What that said.
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:36 am
Ice? I would stop and get some for my spirits....

Seriously, I know where the ice sits and the bits I was driving speedily are generally free of ice... I wasn't doing it for miles & miles Wink

I have driven more miles in shit cold weather than you lot have in sunny wevva Embarassed

Bit pissed off that it's almost gone again Rolling Eyes

Aiden had fun  Very Happy

Edit, tried to upload some photo's, but no joy. WTF am I doing wrong (other than breathing) ???
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am
you have an ice radar in the P38?
View user profile

on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:56 am
Funnily enough, no I don't!

However, I am a bit of a dick and sometimes I can't fix a computer or get a deal on a phone....BUT!

But, when I get behind a wheel, I am pretty farking awesome.

I'm not being big headed here, not in the least. I am a driver. I was born for this, I can do it without even thinking! Sometimes, I blink and think WHAT THA FUUUUUCK?

But seriously, I have made it through my driving life with nary a clang! My ordinary life, that's when I get fuucked Shocked Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

But think about it, I have almost TWO million miles of driving experience in UK, ERE, Australia, Canaries (every single one on bikes & cars), Europe including Spain (Basque region included), Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, France (inc Paris in rush hour in the dark in pissing rain), Latvia, Lithuania and every single track road in Scotland including a shed load of the islands. So lets just imagine for one second lads, and I am NOT for one second being big headed about this...... I have a smidgen of experience in many, many, many winters (30 years worth of driving through them).

I love driving! It is my whole LIFE. The act of driving a vehicle is art! It is fun! it is Dangerous! It is what I do best.

I am shit at a whole load of stuff including being a dad (I am particularly shit at that) But when my family are in the car and I am driving at speed or trundling, I just know how to do it, what might happen, and what comes next.... It's like intuition. It's built in and my wife is testimony to that. That time when....

We were trundling to Aberdeen at 60mph. Blah blah blah when I see a tipper truck in a lay by and look in the cab, saw no driver, looked ahead & see a green tractor coming towards us. I check the mirror, look back and in THAT second, the same tipper that was in the lay by was right across my path!!!!! I had milliseconds to react! I stood on the brake (knowing I had ABS), I saw the tractor, I steered away from that leviathion with an idea I could also miss the big green tractor by mounting the verge and going around him...... However, he had other ideas! He'd seen what happened so "HE" went on the verge to allow me room to go around the tipper (all the time, this guys face was staring at us with a look of utter horror, trying to get reverse so he could get back into the safety of the lay by, but he was in panic mode and he kept missing the gear...). I am now facing the chance of the empty opposite lane so I can come off the wheel a bit and relax my foot on the brake. The ABS has done it's job and scrubbed off enough speed to allow me to steer gently back the other direction onto the now empty lane.

All that time, there was almost like jelly in the space around us, everything went in slow motion if that makes sense?! I could see my options, I chose my path and I saw it changing before my eyes and I took the fork that allowed me a slightly better choice. It was automatic, it was entirely natural and not one second of that time did I feel panic! I just went with my gut reaction and we made it.... It's what I do!

Iaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiain does nuke stuff, Crix is a car jockey, Pants is great at going under stuff, Spot is a computer & audio genius, Huge does art things, VFC is like me, but with even more experience and less showing off, Teeps is a family man with experience in chemical technical stuff.... We all have that one spark where we excel and although I may not excel at driving, I am fuucking awesome at avoiding shit Arrow

Anyhoo, today I was tidying up te boot area of George. I have a big-ish alu flight case, so I put it to use, holding my murmunchee (ha ha ha, when Aiden was wee, he couldn't say "emergency" so he came out with murmunchee and it's kinda stuck...) stuff such as towing strop & "D" rings, jump start cables, strobing orange beacons, ratchet straps, airline for emergency EAS valve bypass (Electronic Air Suspension) valves, 50mtrs of 10mm rope (emergency snow tyres... long story), oil leak soak pads and battery gun that does the same job as an air gun for removing/doing up wheel bolts. So now the boot area is uber tidy which has opened up room for the suitcase we'll need for Sunday Wink

I also packed two sleeping bags, 1st Aid kit (which is handy seeing I needed it when I sliced so deep into my finger earlier I needed to bandage it up to staunch the bleeding so I could get to A&E and get two stitches.....The pretty Asian female trainee doc had never done stitches before so Doc Marc did the 1st stitch and PAFD did the 2nd...it was painful to watch, but she pulled it all out & did it all over again and this time she did a good job. I told her she should be proud of her work as "she" did that! No one else, it was her's alone. So she smiled and was very happy. I watched in amazement as they poked that semi circular needle through my skin, then held the other side of the wound with a tweezers so the cut came together to allow the needle pull the suture through. The stitching was awesome. I never felt a thing.

How did I do that? I "forgot" my new Christmas present was "not" a locking blade, unlike my old one....As I poked & twisted to make a small hole in a bit of plastic for a cable tie, the damn thing slipped closed and cut 4mm into my finger which is kinda deep and it bled like a bastard so I painted the snow at the back of my car! I simply put on a pad from the !st Aid box, wrapped a sticky plaster sort of tape round it and drove safely to the hospital one handed. Was seen within 12 minutes for triage, then same again for repairs. Well chuffed Very Happy

Anyway, it's still snowing to get back on topic and George is all ready for our trip to Embra to see the gadge (man) Cool
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 am
I'll be honest and say I couldn't be arsed to read that compendium.
View user profile

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 am
That's ok, I'll not bother reading your nonsense then Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Laughing bounce drunken
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 am
I didnt read either of your replies
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:32 pm
Dinnae worry yourself Andoo hen! I widnae hae the effort tae type that many words, ken!!!!!
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am
Andoo, i've now read your long post - very good and i recall the first time you mentioned the truck/tractor thing. Balls required.

My driving has changed. Well, it hasn't really...as i have never really been a 'fast' or agressive driver...but now, especially with the kids on board, i'm quite slow and steady.

I still enjoy a 'proper' drive on my own sometimes but these times are now few and far between.

View user profile

on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:19 pm
I did read it too.

Clearly a lot of talent for driving. More talent than myself who seems to do quite stupid stuff on a regular basis. The last time I was grateful to Italian for taking evasive action as I just missed my turning and decided to reverse back to it.. it was 4 am in the morning - I wasn't expecting anyone to be around!

Anyhoo with fools like me around keep your eyes open. Shocked

Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 pm
i still haven't read it
View user profile

on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm
15 mpg...
Sponsored content