View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

LKs Quality Used Motors

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 am
So, as you will see below, LKs Wheels is open for business.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/a3/audi-a3-1-8t-tfsi-sportback-se-2007/7791691

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/1-series/bmw-118i-m-sport--factory-tints-andamp-leather--63reg--showroom-condition/7791698

So, this is what is happening.

I made the decision that this time, the BMW is going to go - having got offered £14,800 for it just 6 months ago, and very easily, I set to sell it. The issue last time around selling it, was that I had nothing to move in to, and I need a car for work.

So, this time I bought first - the Audi you see above.

Turns out its not the best time of year to be selling a decent car, and Theresa May called me the other day to apologise too that she'd killed the economy.

So, moving forward - I have reduce the BMW a couple of times, and listed the Audi at a nice profit.

I currently have a dealer saying to me he'll get me £13,500 for the BM on sale or return, and I have someone very keen to see the Audi this weekend.

So, where to go from here.

Do I just sell the Audi, make a £1000 profit (or more) and re-visit the BMW idea next year, or will the £1000 profit on the Audi be wiped out by more depreciation over the winter on the BMW, or will I actually get more for the BMW in spring?

Lastly, is the £1000 profit in the Audi actually neither here nor there, unless I can pick up another cheap car ... and should I just sell the BM, and relax knowing that I could possibly run the Audi for a while with little depreciation (but definitely some costs - air con, front tyre, roll bar bushes, etc).

So, what to do??

ps. Anyone looking at the Audi, I'll be clear with them about the faults - but A1 cars are more like £5500 - so its still a deal.

View user profile

Re: LKs Quality Used Motors

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am
I’d take the money on the Beemer and hang onto the Audi which you’ll probably get your money back on next year
View user profile

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm
I would sell, get yourself a Citroen C4 SX 1.6hdi. Reason being, they are nippy, downright exciting in "Sport" mode, thrash it, brake and she hands you a gear ready for the RPM's or speed you're running at. AND, 30 quid a year to tax AAAANNNNNNNNND 60/70mpg depending how you drive (a proper Crix car).

You get them cheap as chips, cheap to service & repair. In the meantime, you can save for something you really want.

Wife's car beeped & bonged the other day, lights all over the dash and dire warning of "GEARBOX FAILURE, ABS, ESP" etc and a look of dismay from her indoors when she reported it would only change manually and 1st, 2nd & 3rd was all she got. But it happily it changed down automatically so I figured the warnings were for thick plebs.

Drove it 12 miles at 38mph to mates garage and we plugged it in, binned the fault codes and it came up with sensor dead.

On the ramp, we discovered the CV boot had disintegrated (after 10 years) and the flapping rubber had caught on the dangly wires, ripping them clean off the sensor & out of the plug. Total parts bill was 48 quid. Mate didn't charge me for time Very Happy

Didn't have to reset the ECU or anything as it located the new sensor and went back to normal, no warnings Cool

Chuffed to bits.... and may have got 121mph on the "ahem" Autobhan the other day Laughing
View user profile

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm
I’m pretty confident I won’t be doing this ^^^^^^ Laughing

Hugh will be pleased to hear that buying an old Audi, so far, has given me more confidence that buying a higher mileage car isn’t necessarily all bad .... I just hope that continues to be the way ....
View user profile

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm
Yeah I'm really a bit tired of all the safety features in a new car. Flippen blippen every time I unplug the seat belt, flippen expensive tyre things I'm getting fixed to get the flippen warning light off. Flippen start stop has to be turned off every time I start the car.

Old high miler for me next time I think... without any safety features.

View user profile

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:09 pm
LKsOK wrote:I’m pretty confident I won’t be doing this ^^^^^^ Laughing

Hugh will be pleased to hear that buying an old Audi, so far, has given me more confidence that buying a higher mileage car isn’t necessarily all bad .... I just hope that continues to be the way ....

Yes - with one caveat. Don't get an RS6; stupid high bills compared to other 500BHP stuff. The rear end rattle on my XFR is being investigated next week. I may be looking at about £350 for a replacement rear shock (hopefully not a broken spring - £840!!!). Other than those 2 parts the suspension is the same as all other specs of XF.

Always have a couple of grand aside for any issues either way......

View user profile

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 pm
Doo 1 wrote:

Chuffed to bits.... and may have got 121mph on the "ahem" Autobhan the other day Laughing

I expect it took most of the day to get to that speed?!!!!!

View user profile

on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 pm
Flog them both and lease a little run about at £150 a month while you decide what you want?
View user profile

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am
hugh121 wrote:
Doo 1 wrote:

Please Sir, just coz you have a fancy pants Shagwar, please don't forget where you came from Razz

This is a 1.6hdi SX with auto/manual tiptronic with flappy paddles and in sport mode it's insane! Not super quick, but for a car made of plastic, alloy and bits of tin, it's lights and nimble. Once your up there, you can hold onto speed on bends and kinks as she's grippier than an Aberdonian with a fiver Laughing

In the grand scheme of things, it does what you need it to do and I'll tell you what, it blows george into the kerb for handling.
View user profile

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:26 pm
Doo 1 wrote:
hugh121 wrote:
Doo 1 wrote:

Please Sir, just coz you have a fancy pants Shagwar, please don't forget where you came from Razz

This is a 1.6hdi SX with auto/manual tiptronic with flappy paddles and in sport mode it's insane! Not super quick, but for a car made of plastic, alloy and bits of tin, it's lights and nimble. Once your up there, you can hold onto speed on bends and kinks as she's grippier than an Aberdonian with a fiver Laughing

In the grand scheme of things, it does what you need it to do and I'll tell you what, it blows george into the kerb for handling.

To be honest, if there was an updated version, I'd have another Avantime over the XFR....

View user profile

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:29 pm
Thats enough crazy talk for one day Hugh
View user profile

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm
Paul123 wrote:Thats enough crazy talk for one day Hugh

No - I'm serious!

View user profile

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 pm
Tell us why then ??
View user profile

on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 pm
Maybe I miss the higer waft factor. Really miss the old Renault.

Perhaps I should try an XJ Supersport - best of both worlds? Possibly a Tesla S.....

Don't get me wrong, the XFR is an amazing car, creates much speed and lovely V8 noise. Strangely I feel the SV8 is the better car - not as quick, but you know the power is there when needed. Not sure.....

Maybe I need to do a tour in the R over half term....
Admin
View user profile

on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 am
i have an avantime i'll swap you for your Shaguar

*quickly opens autotrader*
View user profile

on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 am
Spot wrote:i have an avantime i'll swap you for your Shaguar

*quickly opens autotrader*

Found me one yet?!