View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Car sharing clubs

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 7:48
These are getting quite big down here - not the supercar clubs, but just normal car sharing .... lots of people down here don’t need or want a car day to day.

Anyway, when I bought the Audi, and still had the BMW, I stuck it on EasyCarClub.

Roll forward a few weeks, and I forgot all about it - until last night I got a booking !!!

A women had booked my car (I can decline, but haven’t) for next weekend.

You can set your own prices, and I set mine at £60 for a weekend. The car club charge the renter more, to cover insurance, breakdown cover, etc, but that’s what I get.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

https://carclub.easycar.com/mgminvite/ji600s
View user profile

Re: Car sharing clubs

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 7:57
Spot fancy booking an Audi for a weekend and filling it full of scotch egg crumbs?
View user profile

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 8:14
My mate is driving the Audi at the moment, as I have the 911 for a while .... it’s quite liberating having a car you’re not so precious about - the BMW became a bit of an ornament, because it was so perfect.

If only it drove as good as it looked.

Anyway, there is a guy on the car club who earns £3000 a year from renting his van out at weekends - almost worth buying a van for this sole purpose.
View user profile

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 8:32
Have you sold the BMW yet?
View user profile

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 8:47
Given it to a sale or return dealership - so it’s gone, but i’ve not been paid yet - they are confident it’ll go quickly (as they would be)!!!

I’ve agreed to take £13,500 out of it, and they get anything over - they’ve currently got it listed at £14,990 .... but don’t expect to get all that, and have to put a warranty on to it, etc.

Problem with selling a car like this privatley, is that most need finance, or to part-ex, etc ...
Admin
View user profile

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 17:53
thats akin to 'we buy any car.cum

brave
View user profile

on Sun 22 Oct 2017 - 18:10
Had friends use them before and love it
View user profile

on Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 13:51
I haven't heard of car clubs where you hire out your own car, only the ones like co-wheels that have their own. Not sure I would want to rent out my car - you all know how people treat rental cars, or things that aren't theirs!
View user profile

on Mon 23 Oct 2017 - 13:57
Aye, we'll see how this goes.

I've got a 40 year old lady using it.

I think the type of people that do this are different to your average 'hire car' people. These people rent because they haven't got a car, and probably have no interests in cars. Unlike a typical hire car person, who rents out of circumstance.

I wouldn't rent my BMW or anything I was precious over this way - but not overly concern about the Audi, and the £60 I get this weekend will pay for a new tyre it needs.
View user profile

on Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 21:09
So, rented the car out this weekend - and this is the outcome.

On the positive side - the car is all back in one piece, and I am £61 richer.
I also know that the car is reliable over a longer journey, as i’ve only ever driven the car locally.
Crazy really, that people are prepared to risk travelling long distance in a strangers 10 year old car.

On the negative side - the car now has 250 more miles on it - I was told they went to Poole and back in it - but I don’t think Poole is quite that far.
The car also has more scratches in the alloys - not that I care, and not that you’d really notice, as they weren’t perfect - but still.

Also, it’s quite stressful - you have to empty and clean the car, meet someone to hand the keys over, and then trust your car to a stranger, whilst also hoping it won’t let them down, and will come back in one piece.

One things for sure, you wouldn’t want to do it with your pride and joy.

I’m in 2 minds about it. If it became a regular thing, then the income makes its worthwhile, if you’ve got a car you aren’t too precious over.
However, if you only rent it once in a blue moon - I don’t think the effort and risk warrants the money - only takes door ding, or ruined alloy to take away all your money. Technically any damage has to be paid for, but unles you’re offering a perfect car, I think trying to argue every mark is both tricky, and actually not correct.

Having said that - letting someone else use the car this weekend, has just paid for the new front it needs !!!

Thoughts ???
View user profile

on Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 22:10
Thoughts - don't think I'd rent out the Jag. Unless it's to someone going to Spa!

View user profile

on Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 22:23
LKsOK wrote:

Thoughts ???

£60 for 250 miles of wear and tear.

That's 24p a mile. I wonder how that compares with how much the car costs to run, fuel aside of course.
View user profile

on Mon 30 Oct 2017 - 22:39
Teeps wrote:
LKsOK wrote:

Thoughts ???

£60 for 250 miles of wear and tear.

That's 24p a mile. I wonder how that compares with how much the car costs to run, fuel aside of course.

Yeah, I wasn’t banking on them going so far - and as I say if you did it a lot, sometimes it’d get used a lot, and other times not I guess.
View user profile

on Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 18:27
That's what can happen to a Poole car?

VFC

(sorry)
View user profile

on Wed 1 Nov 2017 - 7:48
I’d say most times people hire a car it’s because they have a long journey they don’t trust their own to do. Or they don’t have a car and the trains a pain in the arse or expensive...

The last Avis rental I had was only £48 for 2 days and that was a brand new Focus
View user profile

on Wed 1 Nov 2017 - 9:49
The car rental market is a way for producers to dump excess cars without ruining the new car price on the market. So the rental car chains get the cars for very little indeed. They have to promise to dispose of the car on the market when they are more than 18 months, something like that.

A factory produces so many cars and not more or less with so many shifts. They know how many they can sell new. The rest they kind of dump... It's like that.

Probably it's the reason why renting a car can be so cheap.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed 8 Nov 2017 - 8:59
i think if you had a reliable but cheap runaround that you werent to precious about, then great......but the chances of renting my car out.....zero!, not a chance!...i need a decent resale value on it and with dinks/scratches/kerbed alloys and a million miles on the clock, that wont happen.

i rented an 17 reg Insignia this past weekend (very dull, but not too bad to drive) and it carried at £1500 excess, even if it wasn't my fault, but like Paul, it was £56 for 4 days, I think that's going to take some beating, even by easycarwhateveritscalled.

View user profile

on Thu 9 Nov 2017 - 20:14

Wow 60 pounds. Consider the Agila was worth 200 pounds when I sold it. I could have made 30% on the value of the car.

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum