View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

2015 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi S Line Convertible DSG

on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm
This is my mums car - and it’s worth approximately £20k more than my Audi A3, and to look at it, it looks £20k more expensive. Obviously it’s a newer design, convertible with a fabric roof (my favourite types of convertible for aesthetic reasons), and being a bright red S Line model with the Audi S3 alloys, it looks a million dollars ...

The same goes for the inside - half leather, heated seats, built in satnav and an amazing infotainment system which connected perfectly to my Spotify in moments.

This car is the definition of Audi desirability - it gets attention, and it looks quality.

Size wise, it’s quite tight - particularly in the rear, and the boot opening is quite small, but I guess you don’t buy this car for practicality.

So, what’s it like to drive??

Well, nice and terrible all at the same time.

To your average driver, the steering is nice, the brakes very good, the DSG makes life easy, and it’s actually got a fair bit of poke - the interesting thing is it doesn’t feel fast, but you watch the speedo roll around, and it’s a very rapid car - you could travel very long distances in this car, in complete comfort, and get to the other end more relaxed than when you set off - but at no point does it offer any driving thrills.

For me the throttle response is just lacking at lower speeds, although I think it’s more to do with the gearbox, as on the motorway it’s fine, and the driving modes drive me crazy - comfort is too lazy, and dynamic holds the gears too long, and the paddles are surprisingly slow to respond.

The ride is too hard, and I don’t mind a hard ride, if it benefits the handling, but it doesn’t in this car.

The Diesel engine might be very effective, but it’s coarse, and lacks any excitement.

Compare all this to my £3k A3, which doesn’t have a DSG gearbox, or S Line suspension, or huge alloys, or driving modes - but is an absolutely riot to drive (just ask Ed who now believes this car might secretly be sporting a chip).

A good car ruined by the modern obsession for huge wheels, hard suspension, poxy driving modes, and a 4 pot Diesel engine.

My mum loves this car, but even she admits that she should have bought the petrol version.

Let’s not forget the design fault of the roof button being identical and next door to the electronic handbrake ... which if you’re trying to raise the roof at 30mph on a roundabout, will certainly wake you up from the otherwise fairly mundane drive.

Each time I get close to thinking that an auto is the way forward, cars like this make me question whether they really are ... maybe i’m just too much of a control freak when it comes to driving, but the slight pauses on the throttle and Gearchanges drive me crazy ...
View user profile

Re: 2015 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi S Line Convertible DSG

on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Yeah after driving the Subaru which is a bit big for me. Probably the ideal size of car is the A3. I would have the coupe convertible, 4 wheel drive, petrol and manual. Don't know if they actually make one like that.

View user profile

on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am
Sounds like a nice motor with the added benefit of open-top driving. Smile Having said that, bearing in mind how often you'd really want to get the top down in this country, and for the same money.. I'd be tempted by an S3, as I'm sure the extra power would be used more often than a folding roof. Wink
View user profile

on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am
EffEff wrote:Sounds like a nice motor with the added benefit of open-top driving. Smile Having said that, bearing in mind how often you'd really want to get the top down in this country, and for the same money.. I'd be tempted by an S3, as I'm sure the extra power would be used more often than a folding roof. Wink

Having driven the above, and the S3, I wouldn't buy either ...

I think that both suffer from too much weight ... the convertible for obvious reasons, and the S3 for the Quattro system ...

By far the best Audi I have driven is my front wheel drive, 1.8T, A3 - the two other Audi's I have owned were stodgy old things, and this just isn't, and I can only assume its the Quattro systems that had that affect.

So, I would save some money and buy a Golf GTI .... genuinely at this moment, that's what I'd do.
View user profile

on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 pm
Would your mum not fancy a 1-series convertible? Smile
View user profile

on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm
EffEff wrote:Would your mum not fancy a 1-series convertible? Smile

Why ??
View user profile

on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 pm
Drop-top motoring but with driving dynamics akin to, or maybe even better than, your A3. Smile
View user profile

on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm
Oh, I see.

This car won't be going anywhere for a long time ... this was her last serious car, before she moves in to the likes of Honda Jazz's, Ford Fiesta's, and Nissan Qashqai's - Laughing Laughing
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum