View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Soap opera effect

on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm
So the Teeps household TV died a couple of weeks back so with my new found PPI claim wealth we bought a new one.

A Samsung 40" 4K UHD Smart TV.

First impressions were good. Picture quality is brilliant watching things like Blue Planet 2

However the picture quality on films was odd. The first film was "Home Alone 2", which I put down to it being so old and not being suited to a new UHD TV, but then I watched "London has Fallen". As well as the plot being utter garbage, the picture was wierd, like you were watching a TV programme,

Thinking I'd just bought a properly shit TV I decided to google it and thankfully it turns out all I was experiencing was "Soap Opera Effect".

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/

A tweek of the picture settings and Movies now look epic.

Anyone else experienced this?
View user profile

Re: Soap opera effect

on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Nope - but interested to hear about the TV ...

We keep talking about upgrading our TV - got a £300 32’ LG that we’ve had for a long long time ...

Nothing wrong with it - but need a smart tv !!

What have you got exactly ??
View user profile

on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:56 pm
Smart TV is brilliant. Wireless connection gives loads of on demand TV and is loads faster than going through the Virgin box.
View user profile

on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:16 am
We got an LG 49 inch thingy about a year & a half or so ago. Cracking job with all the toys, 3x HDMI, 3x USB, umpteen other inputs.

The speakers were a bit shit so I got a sound bar. However, the foot on our TV sticks out the front a fair bit so I used the "split & stand" set up available and now have a pair of speakers. The best bit? They are blue tooth and all manner of inputs, but I used the optical option so the sound quality is perfect, clear and you'd swear it was surround sound Shocked  The amount of times I've thought my son had left his tablet on or someone was outside making a racket, when all the time it's the feckin telly Laughing

My wife favours the "shit picture" set up of eco, where I go for vivid or photo option. I also love that I can stream to the TV from my phone or laptop, or watch the "net" on it and even our wifi 2TB HDD (the one we use to watch films from home when abroad via the wifi).

TV's are mint these days and since my accident I've had all this time to find out what it actually does Rolling Eyes Cool Very Happy
View user profile

on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 am
Not even looked at connecting my phone to the TV.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm
Funnily enough, I succumbed to the black friday shite being forced down our necks and took the opportunity to replace the ageing Sony 55" set with a new one. I read a days worth of reading reviews and decided on an LG 65" 4K UHD smart TV.....its rather good!

gone are the days of having to run a media server/pc connected to your TV, i now have buttons for Amazon prime and netflix right there on the remote........and speaking of the remote, it is also a pointy device - you wave it around and it appears as a cursor on the screen to change stuff and control playback etc.....genius!

but i'm 100% with you on the soap opera effect..........its as though the TV 'de-hollywoodises' movies, it takes all of the filters away from the movie and plays it like the people are in your room.

will be interested to read your link
View user profile

on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm
My couple of year old Samsung isn’t too bad

Built in amazon etc is useful

Pictures good, have never used the 3D stuff but it has it

Sounds ok, bought a sound bar at the same time that has Bluetooth and stuff which isn’t bad. At some point I’d like to replace that with a Sonos bar but that’s a chunk of money to do
View user profile

on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 pm
Let us know how you get on Spot.
View user profile

on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 pm
I've been waiting for our 9 year old Sony 32" to die before I can justify replacing it, as it has been a really good TV. How long will it last? I am thinking of changing now.

Still using the 10 year old Sony HDD recorder + DVD recorder box with it, and that seems to soldier on, and the PS3 too.

I'm sure I have heard that 'smart' TVs aren't that useful once they stop supporting or updating the apps on it, and so it isn't that important when buying as you can just use a fire stick or whatever. Is that true?
View user profile

on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:37 pm
No idea. I love the Smart TV. So much faster than Virgin and better picture quality.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum