View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

BMW M4 (on track) review coming soon ...

on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 pm
Watch this space.

Did a track afternoon, with an instructor at Brands Hatch yesterday, and fair play, they actually let you properly drive the car!! Had 2-3 very hairy moments, but hey, I was determined to drive the wheels off it !!

More to follow later.
View user profile

Re: BMW M4 (on track) review coming soon ...

on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 am
Long right hander with the wide run off area?

VFC
View user profile

on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:45 pm
No actual issues or offs, but being quite a big car it moves around quite a lot - on the brakes mostly ....
View user profile

on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:08 pm
OK - so my review of the BMW M4 and the Brands Hatch experience I went on to drive it.

So, the experience to start with.

I won't drag this out, so - amazingly good. Normally with these things, you are given a 45min talk, you then take a seat in the car and told not to do more than about 2500 revs, and 25mph, and 2 laps later you are turfed out with a certificate, and forced to buy a photo of someone wearing a helmet driving a car that looks like the one you did for about £75, which goes straight in the bin when you get home - well not here.

You still have the talk up front, but it was a good 10-12+ laps, and you are actively encouraged to overtake, and give it all you can. My instructor was very for 'full throttle' 'full brakes' 'hit the apex' and 'right closer, closer, lets get him to move over - we are the faster car'.

For £99 I was surprised quite how good this experience was. I would recommend. At the end, they take you for a skiddy hot lap.

So, from the good, to the ugly.

Well, that's being a little unkind - but you look at the M4's, with their livery, and roll cages, and you think - these are a serious bit of kit- and heck off the line, they are blooming fast - 420bhp ??

However, and I am probably being very harsh, because the track is an unforgiving place, but they feel very heavy. The only serious track driving I have done was in a Caterham, and of course I've spent a lot of time in a 911 - and compared to these, its a heavy old beast.

Power is very very good - I never actually checked how fast we were going, but I was flat for a long time down the straight, so I'd say at least 120 - 130mph.

Braking in a straight line too - heck these brakes have a lot of power - however, the car does move around a lot on the brakes, you have to (try) and not worry about it moving around too much, but you have to 100% make sure you are off the brakes on the bends.

Cornering - this is where the weight really shows - I wouldn't say it understeers, and it definitely has the ability to oversteer *lol*, but it didn't corner quite as sharply as I thought it might. Maybe I am being harsh, but its at this point a Caterham or 911 would absolutely have it licked.

Gearbox - OK, I am sure the autos are faster, etc .. but they just don't give you the control and fee of a good manual box. I mostly left it in auto (sport+) so that I could concentrate on lines, braking and overtaking - hehe - but there were a few occasions where there was a real delay in me hitting the throttle, and the car actually getting moving ...

Finally noise - fake fake fake - piped in engine noise - just awful. Loud and sporty - but too fake for me!!!

I am so pleased we did it - because they actually let you drive it, you really could learn the car - and as a road car on track - I guess it was pretty good ... but it goes to show - If I had M4 money to spend, I reckon you'd do better all round by buying a 335d road car, and a Caterham track car.

If you are buying a petrol head a voucher - this was much better than the typical 'drive a supercar one'.

http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/m4-master.aspx

View user profile

on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 pm
Good report LK...

I was knackered after the Jaguar day - and found it VERY difficult to stick to the limit on the road out of Brands after leaving...

VF C
View user profile

on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:31 pm
Sounds like a good day! I turned down the opportunity to take my XF on the circuit at Castle Combe the other week; maybe next time.

Was the track dry?
View user profile

on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:22 pm
Dry, but cold ...
View user profile

on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 am
Sounds interesting.
I guess you needed to be in the M4 GTS...

View user profile

on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 pm
Teeps wrote:Sounds interesting.
I guess you needed to be in the M4 GTS...

Maybe.

I think tyres could be the key here ... the instructors admitted that the M4’s are run on road tyres ... and I suspect that some decent track tyres would change the car ..
View user profile

on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 pm
No-one has ever bought me one of these driving experiences - I'll have to drop some hints!
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum