Go down
Admin
View user profile

Re: BIG....no.....HUGE NEWS

on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm
LKsOK wrote:
Spot wrote:those Mitsushitty PHEV things totally fail the ECO idea....they claim some ridiculous MPG figures, but like you said, once the tiny bit of electric is depleted, its just a 2l 4x4 - not the kind of evolutionary motoring we need IMO.

used the milk float (as its affectionately known) to come to work today in Eco mode and set the cruise to 65 , i still have 70 miles electric range and 100 miles petrol power...i should do my 110 mile commute today on about £2 quids worth of electric.......love it

£2 ??? That’s amazing .... £2 in a petrol / diesel car gets you what ?! 6 miles ....... so i’m probably spending more than you a day on fuel to get to work and back, and it’s 5-10 mins each way !!!

You’ve got me interested .... have you got the funky wood dash ??

Photos and review please

my first choice had the leather interior with wood trim.......it sounds awful, but looks fantastic........but that was only the 60ah battery version.....i opted to go for the 94ah version for resale purposes, but a more basic interior for 2.5k more - a sensible choice.

if you want a proper test drive LK, feel free to come up to Northampton for an afternoon for a play

View user profile

on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 pm
I might just do that sometime, Basil.

Ed and I will be coming up to Silverstone at some point - maybe we could meet up then.
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm
no worries, SS is about 6 miles from me
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 pm
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:14 pm
must be the old ones if they can only manage 80-100 miles, especially in that climate.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:21 pm
Spots already got his EV snobbery mode fully engaged! She esh!

Today I was actually thinking...I'd really like an Outlander PHEV. They are a lovely relaxing car to drive. But the more miles you do, the less sense they make.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm
The i3 is great!.........i drove to a supercharger today and charged it to full in 37 minutes (50kw DC charger), it cost me £1.20 with the Polar PAYG app......this meant i had a full charge to drive the 54 miles from work to home.......and i wasn't kind to the economy...........foot flat to the floor from every junction and it absolutely flies (except when it comes to a corner, which is when it poo's its pants)........will try grab some video this weekend
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm
Yes, videos required of general look around the car, and some launches please.

I'm fully aware i could find both of these things on youtube...and i'll have a look anyway...but i'm sure Bob Dave McCheeseypants will be....better.

OR...if Spots feeling professional....he could just do it as Eccles International EV reviews Ltd
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 pm
I need to ask you some questions.

How far does the i3 normally go for you on JUST electric power USUALLY in normal driving.?

And how far could it go on JUST elec if you drove like a veritable nun?

Does the petrol engine cut in and out during normal driving? Can you set it that the petrol engine will ONLY cut in when it's needed when the batteries are low?

And then how far can it go on JUST petrol. ...or does it not work like that? I gather it doesn't do that, it uses the petrol engine to recharge the batteries? The PHEV s can do that bit it's extremely guzzlesome. I gather the i3 won't be as guzzlesome but any ideas how guzzlesome it is when it's doing this?

Also, when does the power tail off? These tend to be very good indeed from a standif start but I know they usually plateau and don't have a particularly high top speed etc. The faster....the worse?

Does it make a cool 'pedestrian aware' sound? The PHEVs make a cool kinda star trek wraaiiiiingy noise outside which is very cool. If a little too quiet to hear from the inside when driving.

Thank you in advance.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm
I need to ask you some questions. ok officer, it was andoo, he made me do it

How far does the i3 normally go for you on JUST electric power USUALLY in normal driving.?about 100 miles at the moment, but you have to account for the temperature as cold batteries are less efficient - add to that the use of the heater, the HiFi and lighting -

And how far could it go on JUST elec if you drove like a veritable nun? the official figures are 180 or something....but given perfect driving conditions in winter, without heater/lights.....120 is achievable no problem

Does the petrol engine cut in and out during normal driving?  Can you set it that the petrol engine will ONLY cut in when it's needed when the batteries are low? its only a generator, it doesn't drive the wheels, it cuts in automatically with 7 miles left on battery....or you can set it to kick in at the touch of a button to preserve battery - should you want to ...er...i dunno, drive on just battery later in the day

And then how far can it go on JUST petrol. ...or does it not work like that? I gather it doesn't do that, it uses the petrol engine to recharge the batteries? The PHEV s can do that bit it's extremely guzzlesome. I gather the i3 won't be as guzzlesome  but any ideas how guzzlesome it is when it's doing this? on 2 gallons (£10 ish) it will do a further 90 miles,
so combined in perfect conditions 240 miles (150 battery, 90 fuel) obviously you can just keep stopping and adding fuel to keep on trucking

Also, when does the power tail off? These tend to be very good indeed from a standif start but I know they usually plateau and don't have a particularly high top speed etc. The faster....the worse?it doesn't, it just keeps on going to 95, then doesn't go any more, i'll capture this in a vid

Does it make a cool 'pedestrian aware' sound? The PHEVs make a cool kinda star trek wraaiiiiingy noise outside which is very cool. If a little too quiet to hear from the inside when driving. it does, but i turned it off in the iDrive

Thank you in advance. you're welcome
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 pm
Thank you for the answers!
Why turn the sound off? I thought the techo geekery aspet would please you? Or was it too cheesy?

A slight extra question. Can you hear the petrol engine? Is it under the boot or in front? What does it sound like? Does it just run at a set speed or does it change in revs under different loads etc? Just trying to get my head around an engine not being....an engine! Thank you.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 pm
Thank you for the answers!
Why turn the sound off? I thought the techo geekery aspet would please you? Or was it too cheesy? i've not heard what it sounds like......i just didnt want artificial sounds blaring out, so turned it off

A slight extra question. Can you hear the petrol engine? Is it under the boot or in front? What does it sound like? Does it just run at a set speed or does it change in revs under different loads etc? Just trying to get my head around an engine not being....an engine! Thank you.[/quote] they've been quite clever in how this works, it ticks over at low speeds and increases in rev's as you get to a speed where the road noise drowns out the 'hum' you can hear...........in answer to your question, no, you cant hear it, its in the boot floor
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:10 pm
Thank you again:)
View user profile

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm
I also have a question, what's the power output of the petrol engine in KW ? Given this power output what's the maximum driving speed over a longer distance without recharging, given you have spare can of fuel in the back and no problem to fill up regularly at petrol stations ?
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm
25kw engine mogs (37hp).....i've been up to 90 with the REX engine on and no issues......no idea what range that gives me under full load....but stationary, full, its about another 100 miles
View user profile

on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 am
I found a youtube video, i3 can run at 70 mph all day long when it's run out of battery power.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 pm
All day long???

Like...how long really? Surely it couldn't run all day! Maybe a couple of hours at 70mph?
View user profile

on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:34 pm

All day long as long as you keep putting fuel in it. Which probably isn't hard, especially if you carry a little inside the car in case so you could theoretically run it dry and still be ok....

Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 pm
you would have to stop every 100 miles......which would become tiresome
View user profile

on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 am
Imagine how I felt when George had that pissy lil tank that held 30 quid of petrol? Rolling Eyes  I literally had to do that every 100 miles Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, filled her up, did 205 miles before the LPG ran out in Edinburgh (a slight hiccup, like lifting off the pedal and back on) and she switched to petrol after the AutoGas switch/LED display beeped it's warning that I had run out of gas. Filled it up in Edinburgh and cost was 44 quid. Not bad considering i wasn't hanging around on the way down (a few overtakes) and lots of stop/start traffic in Edinburgh itself. Price per litre was about 67.9p I think.

The run home was done with a about the same amount of overtakes, but we left from Ikea and met rush hour traffic, so a slow mo show and then missed the turn off to Perth so went the Stirling route adding a few miles and a bit of time, but no biggy as we weren't in a hurry as such...I just like overtaking Laughing

Got near home & decided to go the extra mile to Tore (7 miles from home, but only place with LPG Autogas) and filled at 75p per litre (robbing basssa Evil or Very Mad  ) but only used 42 quids worth!

Crix, get your counting hat on Wink

Edit, the run home was 190 miles. But I want you to count 205 miles filled up with 66 litres at 68p per litre (to make it easier) and my average was probably 60mph for the vast majority of the journey.
View user profile

on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:04 am
George did 14 miles to the gallon?

BMW put a far too smaller tank in the i3. I mean if you have 100 miles of fuel that's just a quarter tank for most people - it's when you think - where should I fill up. So I would have a spare tank in the back for long journeys.

Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am
My head exploded when i tried to work out the mpg.

Stand by....yes, what Mogs said. I make it 14.12mpg.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am
Mogs wrote:George did 14 miles to the gallon?

BMW put a far too smaller tank in the i3. I mean if you have 100 miles of fuel that's just a quarter tank for most people - it's when you think - where should I fill up. So I would have a spare tank in the back for long journeys.

i don't think they did......its an EV designed to run on electric and built from aluminium and carbon fibre to keep the weight down. having a huge fuel tank in there kinda defeats the object. the range extender is to alleviate range anxiety and to basically get you out of the shit....i think a 2 gallon tank and a tiny 'generator' is genius

View user profile

on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm
She's much better running on petrol, I can squeeze 20mpg, but that's granny driving....

And Spot, do you think they had you in mind when they thought about weight saving Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed affraid
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum