Go down
Admin
View user profile

Re: BIG....no.....HUGE NEWS

on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm
LKsOK wrote:Oh, interesting - I thought you’d said no to an i3 ... must have mid-read it.

Good you got the range extender, unless your brother wants to awkward call to the office to say he forgot to plug his car in last night Smile

So, how long did you have the 335, and what did you lose on it??

I would have thought if you only need a weekend car, you could have gone less practical -  or more !!!

I’ve been in an i3, and it’s a blooming hard ride.

Fair play for giving one a shot - but from my limited experience in one, it’d much rather have a Mini D.

2k on the 335..........the i3 is plenty practical, 4 seats, a boot and a tiny bonnet boot for scotch eggs............hard ride? you sure?....it doesnt do well over fecking great big pot holes, but then thats cos it rides on 19's, but its great wafting around the a/b roads............spend more time in one, its a joy to drive
View user profile

on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm
Be very interested to see how you get on with it - it would b perfect for me in many ways ....
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:35 pm
I did a sneaky thing and insinuated it wasn't an i3.
Interesting car.

Please post new pics etc when ready, and certainly a review by Mr Pantypoos.
View user profile

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:31 am
I looked it up briefly yesterday, is the range extender a petrol engine charging the battery as you drive?

So you don’t have to charge if you’re away for a week (for example)?
View user profile

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm
Anyway I hope we can get a full report on how it is to live with. I'm guessing, but the range extender should extend your range as long as you keep putting gas in the tank. So theoretically very long journeys are possible. Like I do really occasionally.

Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm
Paul123 wrote:I looked it up briefly yesterday, is the range extender a petrol engine charging the battery as you drive?

So you don’t have to charge if you’re away for a week (for example)?

its a 2 cyl 650cc moped engine (hence why when someone said about a moped, i said nearly)..........it doesn't drive the wheels, it merely keeps the batteries at a certain percentage so you can still drive.........I think it kicks in when you have 7 miles left of battery juice, then its just a gentle thrum in the background which you dont notice, especially at motorway speeds. you can also engage it to 'hold' the battery power, for when you are in inner cities etc.

the regenerative 'one pedal' braking is cool too.....i rarely touch the break, i lift off and it does it on its own, whilst throwing juice back to the battery.......takes a bit of getting used to, but its cool.

full review soon

View user profile

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm
Mopeds don't have big engines. They rarely reach 59cc. What you have is a scooter engine Wink

So, with that you could drive up here and give me a go and I'll let you drive George so you can get a semi Laughing
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm
Spot, i agree about the regen braking.

I've driven quite a few Outlander PHEVs in the last year or so, i always set the braking to max regen and you really dont have to use the actual brakes much, it's good fun.

It's got 5 settings and you use the steering wheel paddles to select. I think 1 is probably no regen and 5 is strong regen...and i like it strong! (oo-er!)

However...the Outlander is much less Eco and more normal hybrid. You have to drive like a dead nun to keep it in electric mode...and even then it'll only get you maybe 20-30 miles. The petrol kicks in smoothly though but then you're in a large 2.0 petrol 4x4 car...so it's thirsty. and it's VERY thirsty when you use the engine to charge the batteries up.

Still, most of the managers here have them as they are very cheap on co/car tax.

They're nice though. If you are just dotting around, they are very quiet and smooth in full elec mode and like you said, the regen braking is cool.

The Accountant has an A3 E-tron - which i've not driven yet but would like it.

The big boss has a Merc C350e estate which i think i reviewed on here a while ago - left me a little cold.
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:31 pm
A3 E-Tron...
Sounds like a Sci-fi film.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm
those Mitsushitty PHEV things totally fail the ECO idea....they claim some ridiculous MPG figures, but like you said, once the tiny bit of electric is depleted, its just a 2l 4x4 - not the kind of evolutionary motoring we need IMO.

used the milk float (as its affectionately known) to come to work today in Eco mode and set the cruise to 65 , i still have 70 miles electric range and 100 miles petrol power...i should do my 110 mile commute today on about £2 quids worth of electric.......love it
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm
Sounds great. So no range anxiety then :-)
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm

The government make new tax laws to promote EV usage. The car companies then build to those new rules and you get what we have today... An electric car that is not really environmentally sound. Consider the best electrics are Tesla's and they weigh about 2 tons. So you need fair sized power stations to charge those things. The most dirty of these can be coal. So you could effectively be running your 2 tons heap on environmentally unsound coal.

A ton of coal makes approximately 2 MWh of electricity

2000 / P85D tesla = 23.59
1000 kg's of coal / 23.59 = 42 times.
so every 42 times you recharge from empty you use a ton of coal.

Which doesn't sound too bad to me. Tesla might be the way to go.

Maybe my maths is out.
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm
You could be running it on coal but as it only made up 9% of uk power generation in 2015 it is unlikely. Renewables made up 25%.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm
it's all very interesting quirky.

I'm thinking....and just thinking...as i'm still too bangernomicy....that it may be worth going to a used nissan leaf with an owned battery. They are getting cheaper and cheaper now. Yes they only have realistically 80 miles range...but that would be fine for us (and i suspect the vast majority of people.
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 pm
Really the ideal electric car is one that runs on batteries most of the time. But the owner has the possibility of attaching under it some how a range extender when they need it. It should be stored at home when not needed.

I guess I have to write to BMW to explain this idea...

View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Teeps wrote:You could be running it on coal but as it only made up 9% of uk power generation in 2015 it is unlikely. Renewables made up 25%.

A good point - or run an EV and get your electricity on a Green tariff = even better.

I sat in a Tesla S at the local shopping mall the other day.

View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 pm
Exactamundo Hugh.
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 pm
Spot wrote:those Mitsushitty PHEV things totally fail the ECO idea....they claim some ridiculous MPG figures, but like you said, once the tiny bit of electric is depleted, its just a 2l 4x4 - not the kind of evolutionary motoring we need IMO.

used the milk float (as its affectionately known) to come to work today in Eco mode and set the cruise to 65 , i still have 70 miles electric range and 100 miles petrol power...i should do my 110 mile commute today on about £2 quids worth of electric.......love it

£2 ??? That’s amazing .... £2 in a petrol / diesel car gets you what ?! 6 miles ....... so i’m probably spending more than you a day on fuel to get to work and back, and it’s 5-10 mins each way !!!

You’ve got me interested .... have you got the funky wood dash ??

Photos and review please
View user profile

on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 pm
LKsOK wrote:
Spot wrote:those Mitsushitty PHEV things totally fail the ECO idea....they claim some ridiculous MPG figures, but like you said, once the tiny bit of electric is depleted, its just a 2l 4x4 - not the kind of evolutionary motoring we need IMO.

£2 ??? That’s amazing .... £2 in a petrol / diesel car gets you what ?! 6 miles ....... so i’m probably spending more than you a day on fuel to get to work and back, and it’s 5-10 mins each way !!!

You’ve got me interested .... have you got the funky wood dash ??

Photos and review please

LK - I suggested you get a Smart several months ago. Update - get a Smart Brabus - they're amazing fun!!! Review to follow....

View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:26 am
£2 gets you 6 miles? I get 15 from my diesel.
View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 am
I think it costs about 3:00 GBP to travel 15 miles in my 4.0 Range Rover running on LPG... Not good, but pretty good considering it would cost twice as much if running on petrol Shocked
View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am
Teeps wrote:£2 gets you 6 miles? I get 15 from my diesel.

£2 just about gets me off the drive!
View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 pm
Interesting choice, fair play. An EV would suit my driving pattern (short commute), but the i3 doesn't grab me at all. 330e more likely, but it has a fairly poor electric range and I wish there was an estate version. My mum has a Leaf and the range is pretty pathetic, so the range extender idea is good.

Very generous of you to allow your brother to rack up the miles on it - hope that didn't sway your choice!
View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 pm
Hugh - have to have 4 seats these days, have to ferry the kids around quite a lot
View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm
Yes, despite my car being the 2nd car I still want/need practicality.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum