Go down
Admin
View user profile

Most surprising car of 2017

on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 pm
I drove a number of cars in 2017, some my own but mostly ones at work.

The most impressive car (that is - better than i was expecting) was a 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.33!

Why?!!! I hear you cry?

Well it just was!

Here is a totally unassuming little hatch....not very highly regarded by the critics....rather anonymous.

But to me it showed that Toyota still try to make good cars!

I liked the interior - the shape of the dash, the build quality, the room in the front, rear and boot (all a bit better than i expected)

I liked the gearchange which was typical japanesey slick and nice to use.

I liked the 1.33 engine which was typical in its 16v 'peaky' nature...but also had just enough to 'go' to mean it didn't have to be thrashed.

But - and this is the thing - it loved to be thrashed!

The Mk1 Yaris was a car where you needed to thrash it to get it going - and the engine and gearbox responded well...but the handling/steering wasn't interested.

In this latest model - it IS interested! You can have real fun throwing the car around! (may i add that this car belonged to colleague who let me use it for the weekend and allowed me to drive it s hard or not as i liked)

The steering is very good, the gearchange is very, very good, the engine is very good (and makes a great noise at the top end - as well as pulling strongly at the top.

To put it simply....this car was just so much fun to drive! And i hadn't expected that from a rather bland looking somewhat understated and unloved hatch.

In fact..i had the Civic at the time...and whilst the Civic had a much more funky interior....and supposedly a lot more power....there was only one engine which loved (and rewarded) being used...and one car which loved being zoomed around....and neither one was the Civic! Surprised

It gave me a different opinion of the car....and if one should cross my path in future...i'd certainly be interested in it. And i would never have though that before driving it.
View user profile

Re: Most surprising car of 2017

on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:01 pm
i didn't really like the Toyota Yaris I drove in Australia, but I don't know the engine size or the age. But it was a manual and I used to stall it a lot. Higher first gear, no kind of automatic engine acceleration both the Agila had. So it was difficult to drive for me. Once going the ride was good, quiet etc..

2005 maybe at least in that style Yaris 1.0 was a great car. Would have one again.

View user profile

on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:53 pm
Ive always liked the Yaris

A mate had a Yaris sport(?) (T-Sport?) years ago and it went like a go kart. An absolute blast to use!

It was bullet proof too, considering he spent no money on it other than fuel in 3-4yrs
View user profile

on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:08 am
Why did Toyota never put the 190 bhp motor into the Yaris? I mean the lower powered 1.8 produced a luke warm hatch but with 190 bhp it would have been a beast.
View user profile

on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 am
That would have been entertaining!

I guess there wasn't enough of a market to do it
View user profile

on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:55 am
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum