Go down
View user profile

New Banger Time!

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm
And yes, just to clarify, it is a car I'm talking about!!

It was registered in 2003 and currently has 174,000 miles on the clock.

It's a silver saloon with manual gearbox and 2.2-litre turbodiesel engine producing 125bhp.

It's top of the range so has full heated leather, dual-zone climate control, CD-autochanger, cruise control (pretty swanky stuff for 2003!!)

Bad bits? EML light on, needs a light bulb, steering wheel wobble (likely caused by egg-shaped tyres or tyres that are getting low on tread - according to Google), CD autochanger/fuel gauge/temperature gauge work but are "a bit dicky".

Good bits? It's in good condition for it's age/mileage and has a good spec.. and the heated seats work!!

Best bit? It was £350. Smile
View user profile

Re: New Banger Time!

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm
Nice one FF!

Sounds good
View user profile

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Vauxhall Vectra Elite?

View user profile

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm
2.2 diesel sounds like a Vauxhall !!
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 pm
Hmmmmm. I need to think. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:54 pm
Hmm. Vectra or Saab 9-3?
View user profile

on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:30 am
Hugh has it!!

It's rare to find them in that body style/engine/spec combination, so for the money, and it being only 8 miles away, had to be worth a shot.

Drove it to Bingley and back tonight - spot on! The EML appears to have cured itself, with the occasional illumination for just a few seconds. It does have a squeaky belt though for the first 5 minutes after starting the engine when cold lol.

The gearing feels long with the engine very 'leggy' - happily went to 50mph in 3rd without sounding or feeling coarse or harsh.

One thing to remember when driving at night though after owning a Volvo - the headlights aren't automatically on all the time!!
View user profile

on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:05 am
I had the same car after my mk1 Vectra CDX 2.5V6. Felt rather underpowered at the time after the v6, but went ok. I only had it for about 9 months before getting the Avantime.

View user profile

on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 am
Bingley !!! I know it very very well.

Spent many a week there, looking around Salts Mill, and many a night in Keighleys Balti House (Higly recommended)
View user profile

on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Recently I saw one of those old Vectra V6 and parked right up near it, it was in beautiful condition. Leather seats.. I remember thinking that's better than my car. Bu66er.

Shocked
View user profile

on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 pm
LKsOK wrote:Bingley !!! I know it very very well.

Spent many a week there, looking around Salts Mill, and many a night in Keighleys Balti House (Higly recommended)

Small world!! Never been to the balti house in Keighley but Shama in Bingley is very good if you ever venture up to these parts again.

Discovered that the Vectra also has rain-sensitive wipers and 'get-me-home' headlights/reverse lights today.

Got a couple of quick pics (apologies that the interior pic is sideways)...

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 am
That looks bloody great! Especially for £350!

Is FF the new,.....me???!!!

How that i've climbed to the heady heights of £1500 cars!
View user profile

on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 am
Bangernomics at its best lol.

£1500?! Sheer extravagance. Wink

Discovered last night it has an auto-dimming rear-view mirror - first car I've ever had with one, despite having previously had an Audi, Merc and two Volvos!!
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:06 pm
Well, you see, Vauxhall cars have a certain 'class' that so called premium german marques can't hope to match Wink

I'm also looking at adding a Vauxhall to the fleet at the moment. Not for me, but for my stepdad, his 2001 Mondeo estate has finally gave up the ghost. Looking to get a 2009 59 Astra 1.6 SXi thats just been traded in for £1k. Pretty good car and price, for that. Drives nice.

Vauxhall is a brand even i can struggle to get excited about but to be fair, this Astra drives just as nicely as anything else out there for the price and the interior is quite smart. I just sometimes almost dismiss Vauxhalls in general before giving them a shot....(and thats unusual for me as i like all kinds of crap!)
View user profile

on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Used to quite like the old Vauxhalls, even recently being a passenger in a few Insignias you can tell they're going to be decent second hand buys
View user profile

on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:36 pm
Vauxhalls seem to be good at near enough everything and amazing at nothing - but as it's a brand with no image, the cars have to sell on their own qualities, without the back-up of a brand to fall back on.

The Vectra saloons were made in Germany if I remember rightly, and to be fair, mine feels like it - good and solid. The Insignias are also made in Germany and appear to be lasting well.

Not sure where Vauxhall will head now that they're under the Peugeot umbrella instead of General Motors - we've got the Crossland X that looks shit and the Grandland X that looks half-decent, both of which are re-badged Peugeots. Only time will tell I guess...

A 2009 Astra will be the last of the older shape Astras I'm guessing - should be a good buy if it's been looked after. There's still loads of that shape Astra knocking about, some in pretty rough condition, but they keep on going! Tough as old boots these old Vauxhalls. Smile Wouldn't mind a Senator 3.0 24v to play around in...
View user profile

on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 pm
They were good cars the Vauxhall Opels. Not a spot of rust on my Agila only need a bit of money spending on it and would have been as good as new. Saw much worse examples running in France and Italy.

Cannot really see Vauxhall going anywhere with Peugeot, it's not like Peugeot have shed loads of money to pour in to Vauxhall, I guess it will be merged... like Citroen.

Admin
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am
But Mogs! I've said before, your Opel was a Suzuki! (although with a GM engine, yes) That'll have a lot to do with why it lasted so well Smile

FF - you say that..but i've seen quite a few Crossland Xs on the road already and they haven't been out very long! Certainly more so than the C3 Aircross which IMO is a better looking car. Very few of those around, still.

Saying that, we did an event on the weekend and out of 17 new cars sold, 10 of them were the C3 Aircross so maybe things will change.

Yes, it's a November 2009 59 plate 1.6 SXi 5dr. 69k miles, full service history, good condition all round but needs an interior valet. Very pleased for £1k though. Engine seems strong and smooth, drives nicely.
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 am
The Crossland is selling quite well to be fair - we've taken a few orders on them, a couple of which have been around £25k due to having nearly every option. Surprised I still don't like the look of them, though. For the money, I'd rather have the Cascada, but production of those stopped last Tuesday for the UK market. Sad
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:50 pm
Yes, the Cascada is very rarely seen is it. I see it as more of a bargain future buy. Depreciation must be HIGH.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm
FF! Waiiiiit a minute. What happened to the previous car? Was that the A6? (and the Laguna was before that?)
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:14 pm
The A6 was July 2016 and turned out to be junk - about 2/3 of the car's electronics failed in the 6 months I had it. A new MMI unit alone was quoted at £1500. It was a nice car to drive though and would have been lovely had the electrics not started to fail from day 2 onwards! Disappointing as it was a 2-owner car with the last owner being a doctor that had it for 8 years and it had a full Audi service history.

The Laguna was bought in January 2017 - not a bad car for the price but needed 2 injectors not long after I got it (covered under warranty thankfully), and it once overheated leaving me stranded for 40 minutes in Birmingham of all places. The electrics were fine though! Decided I couldn't justify the monthly repayments on a car that's no better than the old bangers I'd had previously.

Along comes the Volvo S80 in July 2017 - good car but age and mileage had taken its toll and it had a severe coolant leak and gearbox oil leak, £900 quoted to fix. It also needed a variety of other bits doing and the MOT expires on Saturday so thought it probably better to cut my losses - a technician at work that checked over the car agreed with this.

And here we have the Vectra! Doing 40,000 miles a year appears to be killing whatever car I get, so figured there's no point in spending more money on a car than is absolutely necessary.

Of all the cars I've had, I still do really miss my E-Class. That seemed to take the mileage and abuse better than anything else...
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 pm
Thanks for the update. I do remember the S80 now you mentioned it again.

It sounds like you've tried with a few bargain barges but not had the best of luck. I think i've been lucky over the years but it doesnt last forever.

You seem to like the more bargy type of car rather that something smaller and more basic, yes? (which is totally understandable)
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm
I'm a sucker for the landyachts lol. Bigger cars seem to hold together better than smaller ones when looking at cars of this budget, in my experience, especially with the miles I throw at them. Plus they tend to be more comfortable and better specced. There's still quite a few small cars to choose from, mainly Corsas, but there are some seriously ropey-looking ones about. There's also a good choice of Yaris/Yarises/Yari/whatever, but they seem to hold their value well and command a premium.
View user profile

on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Had my fair share of Vauxhalls and loved each one on it's merits. They are well made and while they look a bit meh, they tend to do what they need to do in comfort and are good on fuel.

Clarkson said the best car in the world was a Vauxhall Vectra and I full and wholly agree. Great car for the money. Well done. Cool
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum