View user profile

oooooooh cant wait!

on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Very Happy
View user profile

Re: oooooooh cant wait!

on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 pm
£15 ???

Heck, i’ve hired a Caterham (and the use of Donnington Race track) for Saturday, and it’s cost (between 2) 50 times that !!!!!

Looks like you’re in for a good time !!!!

(Let’s hope it’s actually what you get .... and not a Vauxhall Corsa - lol )
View user profile

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 am
I’ve been promised an i10 before and felt that same pain when they hand you the keys to a shiny Corsa
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 am
Yes!!!!! It had better be!

I demand a full video review too! (a very gushing one!)

AND! Their pic isn't quite up to date - the i10 has been revised since then with revised front and rear ends and slight interior tweaks.....*tries to hide erection*
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am
yeah LK, £15 is about the going rate, which is why when you said about the car share thihng you did, i seem to remember saying hire cars are piss cheap!

i was up there last week and had a 2018 Mini Cooper, it was alright.....nout spesh......i'm hiring cars all the time, but never get a chance to 'bob mcdave cheese' em
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm
Well, that needs to change.

And thats not a request, it's an order.

Thank you in advance for your complete cooperatiion in this matter.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:15 pm
I apologise profusely King Crix, I will indeed need to 'sort my shit out'!
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:45 pm
Apology acknowledged Smile
View user profile

on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 pm
When we went on the hols to (Spain....I think!!!!) last year or the year before (all these pills fog me memory....and I'll tell you some thing else....um....errr...alll these bleedin pills fog my memory... Razz ) anyhoo, wife hired a car for 20 squids Shocked Shocked I was fully expecting a chicken coop or some other form of storage shed, but was somewhat astonished. Anyway, the insurance (we always go fully covered for absolutely everything as it's cheaper in the end) was 70 quid for the 11 days.

Walked out in the dark (it was well after 10pm) and see our car, a brand new, out of the box with 400km on the clock FIAT 500L fully loaded. It had NEW TYRES Shocked Very Happy 1st hire car ever with decent tyres abroad Laughing

Cracking car too, never missed a beat and 1st diesel I've seen with golden oil (I checked every morning along with other fluids, can't be too careful).

Go to Spain Spot, same price for 11 times longer sunny
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm
oh i've no doubt i will be in spain a lot this year.......and italy.........and france.........and portugal...........and germany.......and belgium.......a........just everywhere
View user profile

on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 pm
Doo 1 wrote:

Cracking car too, never missed a beat and 1st diesel I've seen with golden oil (I checked every morning along with other fluids, can't be too careful).

The garage told me that they thought the head gasket might have gone, it looked like it had mayonnaise in the oil when you returned it ??!!

Apparently not though - the white substance in the oil remains a mystery !!!
View user profile

on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Subaru might be worth considering. I'm starting to feel the reason it is the way it is. A tank... it's built like that. Pure metal.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 am
Mogs i will be driving the new Subaru XV auto this morning. I'll give a review. I drove a new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross last week. I may review that too.

If people can contain their excitement!
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am
Looking forward to it.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 pm
Brief summary -

Eclipse Cross is a kinda..typical SUV size...probs slightly smaller than a Quashiquasho? Generally nice to drive. Nice manual gearchange. Rides quite well, very quiet engine. It's a 1.5 petrol turbo with 163bhp and it goes well enough. I wouldn't call it fast but it's fine. However - it's not the most seamless engine/turbo setup. It might be down to the throttle mapping? Or something? But it's very difficult to make completely smooth progress. The turbo feels very 'electrical'. By that i mean...it feels like it operates direclty in direct proportion to your throttle. Which sounds good? BUT! It's only smooth if you are EXTREMELY smooth with the throttle, which isn't always the case. So it can feel a bit jerky. There's also a slight delay from foot to 'go' so that kinda compounds it.
If you try very hard to be smooth...it's not really as issue...but if you move your foot around a bit, and with different pressure applications..it can feel a bit jerky, as i say.

The drivers seat doesn't go low enough. It's a SUV so it kinda has that slightly raised position anyway for me the seat really does need to go another 6 inches lower. It's not that there's not enough room for my head, there is..it's just that you feel like you are sitting over the controls, rather than in line with them.

The interior is smart and good enough quality. There is a HUD which is kinda unusual i suppose but again, it's not positioned right. You can adjust the display angle, so you can see the information but again it feels like i'm looking down on it rather than at it.

Heated seats were quick to work and more than satisfactory.

The XV.

This was the 2.0 150ps CVT. Performance was definitely less than the Eclipse Cross but it was adequate. Trouble is...you get that tyoical CVT 'blare' of revs where it sits at whatever revs are the appropriate for your progress you are making, before settling down to a lower, quieter level. The engine is a boxer engine but sounds quite ordinary. The blarey nature of the CVT kinda puts you off working the engine hard, it just feels a bit uncouth - but it's only doing what it's designed to do.

This car is more kinda...techily equipped. It's 4WD which is no big news BUT it has the new Subaru 'eyesight' technology.
When you set this up by pressing a few buttons you get the lane departure thing (which i think is fairly common now) but also a blind spot thingy where an orange light comes on on the door mirror to let you know a car is coming up the rear. (oo-er matron!)

So you can tell this car is constantly scanning 360 degrees around itself at all times.

The more interesting feature of this system is the radar guided cruise thingy. Again, i know many cars have this but it was the first time i was able to try it for a length of time. It's very clever.

You set you prefferred distance to the car in front (i think there are 5 distance options) The car will them maintain a cruise behind that car, slowing down if it needs too, speeding up if it needs to.

I was following a colleague so i was able to test this out properly. The closest setting is perhaps a tad closer than i'd normally follow a car. However, the car will brake all the way down to zero...and then speed back up to whatever either the cruise control programmed speed is set at - or to again follow the car in front. This worked around roundabouts and junctions etc. You could tell that if the 'car' can 'see' the car in front..it will assume you are following it.
As soon as the other car goes in a different direction or whatever and you are no longer following it, it will revert to normal cruise control - and you have to remember to brake yourself when coming to a halt! (if there are no obstacles in front)

This system gave me a glimpse of what the future might be. I can forsee a time when every car is fitted with such a system just so it can follow another car and react to it, etc. This is very clever but the good thing is...you can still turn it off and have full control of the car again - will this always be the case?

Other things - i'd say i overall prefer the interior of the XV. Subaru have definitely upped the ambiance inside compared to the previous one. It just feels a bit posher and more plush. And so it should for a £25k+ car!

The car wasn't quite as refined as the Eclipse Cross in terms of tyre noise. I also feel maybe the ride was a bit more jiggly but it was quite acceptable.

However! The heated seats take a LONG time to fully work! Yes i was using this car from cold but it was several minutes before i could feel them properly working, even on high setting. Once warmed through though ( i'd say 7-10 mins plus, easy) they were very warm and one could put the setting to low if one wished).
I just mention this as some cars can burn your arse in 30 seconds or less.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far Smile
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 pm
Good reviews. Although I don't think I want wanna those XV things with all the driving aids. I think mine was around 13k GBP with manual 1.6 engine.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 pm
Yes, yours was a good price Mogs.

They're gonna struggle to sell these for the prices they are asking. I mean...they are a nice and 'good' car...but in the £25 to even £30k price range....i dont think they have enough appeal.

You could buy (or lease) a BMW 140i for the same amount (or less) and i wouldn't blame anyone if they did. I would. Lots do.

In fact, my cousins fiance has just got one! He's like...23 or something. Jealous is not the word! I dont know how he insures it.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm
my younger brother picks up his brand new M2 this afternoon, he's 30
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:19 pm
Subaru had a hard time selling them I think. Mine was not sold new for example even though it only had 50 km's on the clock. Sneakily selling it second hand so they could get rid.

Any time I might be kicked from this job and it might not be so easy to find another.. so better I don't go and buy a BMW, I think!

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 pm
Job trouble Mogs?

Did the CCTV footage of your naked office shenangans get found out??!!

Spot - nice one for your bro. I'm 'well jel'. I (we) require a full review of said car please!

I should have bloody worked harder at school. Im so poor Sad
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:I should have bloody worked harder at school. Im so poor Sad

Fear not, you're in good company, lol.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:44 pm
You've got a few years on me though FF....vital more time to think of that brilliant idea to make you rich!
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 pm

I remember I was working pretty poorly in Toronto Canada and I was listening to Swissinfo on the radio entering their competitions and they let us win one. So we got a book. Anyhoo we were thinking it would be great to work in a Bank in Switzerland. Went back the UK worked in London in IT and it was the IT bubble time, didn't look back for a while. Started to work at a Bank in Switzerland and am still here.

Lesson be careful of what you wish for. LOL.

View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:08 pm
EffEff wrote:
MegaCrixel wrote:I should have bloody worked harder at school. Im so poor Sad

Fear not, you're in good company, lol.

Since having kids, I feel so poor too ....

Not to mention it appears that everyone around me is minted.

Worked hard, but didn’t get that lucky idea, or lucky break .....

I used to kid myself there was still time - but feels like that is slipping away too
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 pm

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum