Go down
View user profile

Working in a winter wonderland

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 am
What have you all got snow-wise then?

Snow in Bournemouth is an extremely rare event - I think December 2010 was the last significant snow we had here. It chucked it down yesterday afternoon and everyone got stuck late afternoon with tales of hours to get across town, abandoned cars etc. Luckily my daughter's nursery closed at 2pm so I had to get her and take her home, so I escaped the chaos and had a bit of fun outside as she hadn't seen the snow before.... Then it turned to freezing rain overnight and everything now has a dangerous solid crust of ice on it. First thing I saw when I looked out of the window this morning was this - 'frosted glass'-

So as a soft southerner I am not braving the ice rink and am now holed up in the home office 'working from home'. Meanwhile I expect Andoo is off having fun doing the North Coast 500 in record time! Wink
View user profile

Re: Working in a winter wonderland

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm
Similar levels of snow across Leeds, York and Bradford on Tuesday and Wednesday. Yesterday and today is more ice and wind to contend with. Didn't stop me getting where I was going though! It just took longer, but the roads have been significantly quieter.
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:51 pm
Snowing here currently, was snowing, snowing in the near future too. I might go home soon to avoid troubles.
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:12 pm
Been working from home since Tuesday afternoon

Not huge quantities of snow here but enough for a snowman and sledges

Cars parked up for a few days, got sick of people pulling out in front of me forcing me to brake hard
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 pm
Here in Durham it's certainly the worst it's been for a several years.

But still a lot less than like...when there was 'proper snow in 60s and 70's, so i keep getting told.

Crickasso is very poor in the snow.

107 is better.

Main roads here are all fine now but the side roads and estates are pretty bad. Cars abandoned everywhere on the main road in our village as they simply can't get into their estates.

I was out in a L200 yesterday at work to rescue a colleague who had lost track of the road in a white-out and driven into a ditch, snow above the bonnet Got kitted up and went out in the L200, tow rope, shovels etc excited to perform some kind of heroic rescue.....(or at least to try)....5 mins before i got to him, a tractor saw him and pulled him out!

Spoilsport!!!!
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:38 pm
Weather down here has been horrible, but bearable.

Bad enough to close schools and keep most people off the roads, but not so bad that i’ve not been able to get around, or drive wherever I wanted to go.

In fact, today, the Mrs bought a new bike, and I rode it the 5 miles home (in the snow) as it wouldn’t fit in my car !!!

Pretty bad this afternoon, but seems that this is the last we’re going to get. Looks like it might rain this weekend, which will take the horrible slush away.

The slush is the worst, makes it so hard to see the streets paved with gold !!!!

The Audi isn’t great in the snow, been slip sliding around - but best bits are ...it’s better than the BMW, and i’m not precious about it, so i’ve been out and about in it without the fear of pranging it ...
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm
Bad luck Crix on not being able to perform a daring rescue.

I should get one of those elastic ropes and figure out the tow hook stuff and get towing people.

On the drive back I was up over 80 mph so the roads are like perfect. The sides had snow!

View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:41 pm
LKsOK wrote:
In fact, today, the Mrs bought a new bike, and I rode it the 5 miles home (in the snow) as it wouldn’t fit in my car !!!

Well done LK. It's gotta be worth a shag. Very Happy

View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 pm
That’s why he rode the bike home - new saddle feel...
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:17 pm
Mogs wrote:
LKsOK wrote:

I’ll let you know - lol
View user profile

on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:52 pm
Loads of snow here. Caused quite a lot of disruption on the roads, with it not being worth even attempting to drive once it gets dark. Better today as it hasn't snowed for over 24 hours. I got caught in a white out yesterday morning with some pretty major drifting snow. I was very lucky not to get stuck. More due this weekend I think. Oh and it's causing chaos at work.
Where I used to live the snow is mega bad, with snow drifting over 4 feet deep in places. Glad I moved.
View user profile

on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:50 am

The wind and snow have reshaped the XF - looks a little like a Prius now....

Don't think it will be on the roads for a while yet. The Smart did a good job - I drove my wife to work the other evening. Had a push after having to stop at a round about, but did surprisingly well.
View user profile

on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:15 pm
LKsOK wrote:
Mogs wrote:
LKsOK wrote:

I’ll let you know - lol

Well, in a word ... NO.
View user profile

on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:28 pm
Been pretty bad round our way, but not so bad that people panic as much as they have.

Managed to get to work every day (unfortunately) and home at varying times of the evening and early hours. Did a little bit of drifting too.

Driving train wise, no problem at all. Powered through heavy and drifting snow at 60mph.
View user profile

on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 pm
It's amazing - it's like it never happened here. Yesterday we had several inches of snow and a solid covering of ice over absolutely everything. Today now there is barely any trace that it happened. Warmer temps of about 5-6 degrees and rain have cleared it all pretty quickly. Right, time for spring please!
View user profile

on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:27 am
Above 10 degrees c (forecast) the high today here in the town of Zug. Can hardly believe it was minus 10 a few days ago. We will see I guess.
View user profile

on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:30 pm
There was feck all up here! It was so not bad that I had to drive 72 miles to my sisters in Banff to A) rescue her car, B) take her shopping and C) take the lad sledging....oh and D) show off what a weapon George is in snow Cool

Laddo & I had such a hoot doing Colin McRae style doughnuts in six inches of snow Laughing

I'll need to send the vid to Crix or Spot as Photobucket is now a croc Rolling Eyes

Went up a super steep hill in six inches of snow just coz I could. Sis was a bit nervous, but I selected low ratio, 1st gear and set off up that thing. Not a spin or a shimmy such was the grip... Love that car.
View user profile

on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 pm
hehe

plus 3 today and a little bit snowing. Lunch time. Went up. Actually just in shorts and tea shirt. Flippen wonderland up there. The mist had frozen to the trees and didn't defrost. I had gone up the long way and figured to come down the long way too. I didn't bring my jacket with the spikes in the pocket. Got to the top fine down and up a gentle hill. Arse over tit. Scraped my little figure and an elbow, arse in the wet snow I guess as I was a bit wet. Flippen heck did I suddenly feel cold. I headed down the quickest way. I was really ok by the bottom. Anyhoo that's how it goes.

Came down bleeding from the elbow, don't know what people thought, wolf perhaps. .

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum