Go down
Admin
View user profile

2014 64 Citroen DS4 e-HDi Airdream DStyle

on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:15 pm
Oh yes!

Now, working alongside a Citroen dealership for 5+ years now, you may be suprised to find out that ive only ever driven one of these before.

It was diretly after driving a same-age and engine Focus Zetec. The Focus was much better to drive. Better steering, better gearchange, seemed quicker too, despite same engine.

Compared to the Focus, the DS4 felt baggy and vague.

Anyway.

A lot of time has passed.

I've got to say, i really did like this car. The DStyle is quite a good spec with cruise, climate, reverse sensors etc, and quite unusually - MASSAGE SEATS (both front) and it really was quite a nice comfortable place to be. The seats have good support and combined with the massage function - it felt quite different to other cars i've driven of this type.
The interior is quite plush, if not amazing. Visibilty was quite poor. It's got a curving roofline and small rear window and both the B and C pillars are thick - so its not great to see out of.

The thing i was maybe most impressed by was the drive of the car. I haven't driven a Focus for a long time now so my standards may have lowered - but this was nice to drive. Decent gearchange, nice supple-ish and well damped-ish ride, despite the big alloys on this version. It handled very well, it was really nice to hustle around in. The engine is the 110PS version of the 1.6 and doesn't really feel vastly different performance wise to the 90PS version in the Crickasso. It's quicker and stronger - but not massively so.

However - the car is very good from a refinement point of view. The engine is very quiet and in general use, it really wouldn't necessarily be a diesel, its very hushed. The ride is quiet, despite the big and wide tyres. The wind noise is virtually none existent. Refinement is a very strong point of this car.

Less good - the nice (IMO) shape means the rear doors are quite small for access (they also have a HUGE bloody sharp point at the leading edge of the door). Not great space inside Legroom tightish when i sat behind myself but headroom just about doable. But dark and stuff in the back. Also, the rear windows dont open at all, not even pop-open. So, not a great family car in that sense. (the window thing is down to the shape of the rear doors - even if they did go down, they couldn't drop down very far at all - check out the shape of them next time you see one.

However i came away feeling it was a 'good' car (mainly to drive)....and i wasn't expecting to do that. The comfy interior helps and the plushness levels were acceptable. It certainly makes the very similar 'ordinary' C4 look deadly, deadly dull.
View user profile

Re: 2014 64 Citroen DS4 e-HDi Airdream DStyle

on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 pm
Airdream ????
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am
Yes indeed. For a while, the airdream name was given to the most economical model/version in the range. The e-hdi also signifies economy. This one had stop/start wheras some others didn't.

Also, please note, this one was a 'Citroen' DS4, before they changed the branding to simply DS.
View user profile

on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 pm
Let’s hope they never make one that runs on water !!!!
View user profile

on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:31 pm
LKsOK wrote:Let’s hope they never make one that runs on water !!!!

Good skills LK - made me laugh!!

Admin
View user profile

on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 pm
I didn't get it?

Or do you mean wetdream?
View user profile

on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 pm
The Citroen DS4 e-HDI Wetdream D-Style
View user profile

on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 am
I always liked the look of the DS5. Until I saw they started at £27,000... Shocked
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 am
Yep.

Will be a bargain though as time goes on.

We had a 13 plate trade in at £7k, list price would have been high 20's as you say.

The DS5 is an interesting car, i think they've good looking inside and out.

The DS4 is a lot closer to just being a C4...but still appeals a bit.
View user profile

on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm
To be honest the Citroen/DS range confuses me. I can't quite figure out where most of the range are supposed to sit in the market - the DS5 being a prime example. Is it supposed to contend against Mondeos/Insignias or 3-Series/C-Class/A4. Size-wise you'd think maybe Octavias, but at that price?! Citroens do generally look nice to my eye, but every area of the cars appear to be heavily-styled.

Sod it, bring back the Xantia and XM! Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 pm
Agreed!
View user profile

on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 am
Bring back the Xantia!? lol

Citroens are different, but I've never really been tempted to buy one.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 am
There are many good French cars Teeps!

If i could be very generalistic, (doesn't always apply) - i'd put it like this:

Generally a bit more interesting than the german/jap stuff and more fun to drive in a kinda 'loosened tie - bit casual' kinda thing.

Doesn't always apply of course but yeah.
View user profile

on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm
The only French car I like is Dacia's Duster. Well the engine's French.

View user profile

on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:There are many good French cars Teeps!

If i could be very generalistic, (doesn't always apply) - i'd put it like this:

Generally a bit more interesting than the german/jap stuff and more fun to drive in a kinda 'loosened tie - bit casual' kinda thing.

Doesn't always apply of course but yeah.

The Avantime is a great car.....
View user profile

on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 pm
So the only French car Mogs likes isn't a French car lol.
A few years back I did like the Renault 19 16valve and the Pug 306 was a very good looking car.
View user profile

on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 pm
Dacia is a company owned by Renault. With all Renault bits.

They have great stance the wheels all sticking out a bit. I think they built a bit of an icon there with the Duster.

I did want to buy one but my wife put me on the Subaru. Which I don't regret.

Admin
View user profile

on Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm
I've just drive the DS4 again, it's now on our courtesy car fleet.

I have to say...im really rather taken by it.

It's far from perfect - these are the faults (IMO):

* Speed sensitive PAS is not calibrated to my satisfaction - it's too heavy when parking, but too light when at speed.
* Steering wheel is a little too large and not totally satisfactory to hold (probably emphasised by the lack of feel)
* Rear visibility is poor - small rear window and thick C pillars etc (although parking sensors help)
* Shape of leading edge of rear door is extremely pointy and will easily have your eye out given half a chance
* Rear windows do not open at all! This is unusual on a 5 door car and it's because of the shape of the doors. They taper inward and theres nowhere for the glass to go!
* Gearbox is 6 speed and more of a close ratio box than the 5 speed....it's easy to use but can get a bit flustered when asking for multiple quick changes. Typical French high quality design there
* Boot has high loading lip (but the volume itself is quite large and satisfactory for this size of car

So, quite a few things there...some of them quite important - but i'm still very much liking this car as:

*The 115ps 1.6 diesel has plenty of go, certainly more than adequate for day to day stuff.
*The engine is also very well insulated. It remains quiet and hushed during driving
*The refinement level in general is high, tyre, wind, road noise, all low in comparison to similar vehicles.
*Despite the large looking 18" wheels - the ride is actually pretty good! You can get the odd clonk over some bumps but on the whole, the car rides nicely and quietly. I think the damping and spring rates have been well judged.
* The handling is good. You can really throw the car into corners and it's very satisfactory indeed!
* The seats are very good indeed! (which is rare for a Citroen these days!) Nice figure hugging shape to the sides and base. Not OTT...just...comfy and supportive. (again, probably makes the handling feel better too as you are being held in place. The seats also go nice and low. A lot of cars these days (for me) - sometimes the seat is just a bit too high (in comparison to other controls) - you can really sit nice and low which again helps with the whole drive.
*Interior is probably just about on the nice side of good. Quality is reasonable, the design isn't to bland, the materials are mainly nice...it's a reasonable place to sit, helped by the refinement.

So, yeah. I do like the car! It's one of those cars you can get in straight away and drive quickly and confidently and comfortably...and honestly...a lot of Citroens sadly just aren't like that now!
Admin
View user profile

on Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 pm
i was really tempted by a DS5 at one point (if you remember) thankfully i got it out of my system quite quickly as it would have devalued more than virgins west coast rail service.

they are lovely looking through, i still pass them now and think 'yeah, different that.......i like different'

Admin
View user profile

on Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 am
Agreed Spot. DS5s certainly are different.
However. ..even compared to this DS4...they are not anything special to drive, sadly.
View user profile

on Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 am
I was somewhat impressed that you were able to sit behind yourself Crix!!!

Is that a time travel thing or are you able to leave your physical body and juxtapose yourself, but only in a car?

Curious... 🤔

Sent from Topic'it App
Admin
View user profile

on Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am
Ah yes, i do that when i test a car. The sit behind myself test. If i can sit in the front comfortably, then sit in the back behind myself, thats pretty good, as i'm 6ft 2" (or at least i thought i was SWMBO measured me the other day ...(oo-er) , apparently im 6ft exactly now? Have i shrunk? Anyway.

So, yeah. The sit behind myself test is very useful as it gives an indication as to the car seats fitting and stuff.

Another imressive car for this was the Mitsubishi Mirage, it's a little tiddly car but the rear space was suprisingly good.

You do look like a plank though when you do the sit behind yourself test (i tend not to do it in public!) and then realise the child lock is on and you are stuck in the back seat!
Admin
View user profile

on Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 am

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum