Go down
Admin
View user profile

Dacia Duster

on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:48 am
I've just had a sit in and play with a trade in 2013 Dacia Duster diesel.

And i liked it!

I was expecting pretty bad things due to the moanings of colleagues about how 'crap' it is...but it's not!

It's built of basic, no frills materials but it's very pleasant inside! The dash looks decent to me (and i think it looks better than the Sandero). It might be helped that this one is the Laureate top spec model with probably fewer blanked buttons and a fancier ICE than standard. But it's comfy, decent driving position. Not mountains of headroom in the front but fine. Rear legroom not great but headroom plentiful and the boot is a nice shape thats both pretty wide and long, (if a bit shallow) but then you look underneath and it's got the full size spare etc, which many cars now dont have.

The engine is predictably quite vocal. The renault 1.5 unit is definitely less refined than the PSA 1.6 and i suppsoe Dacia will be at the back of the queue for sound deadening...but its fine and strong enough for general use. This being the top model, it has switchable 4WD. Shod in all-weather tyres...this is surely a go-anywhere car.

I like the quite small size of it but the interior is big enough, in proportion.

I like it's honest, no frills look and feel (although this one does have frills compared to the base steel wheeled etc models).

I've never had a 4x4 before...

I'm very much liking this. I'm gonna ask and see what price i could maybe get it for.......is this a 'watch this space' moment?
View user profile

Re: Dacia Duster

on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 pm
Do it crisps! Better or worse than the panda?
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:26 pm
I haven't got a Panda and haven't had for approx 2 years Smile

Can't really compare them Paul, sorry Smile

Rust is an issue for these early Indian built models....gonna check in more detail.
View user profile

on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:57 pm

When I saw the topic, I straight away logged in and read it. I wanted a Dacia Duster thinking about the 1.6 petrol model. But my wife found the Subaru at a bargain price so I got that instead.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 pm
Car is £4500. Cheap, but not cheap enough for me to consider bargainworthy.
View user profile

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 am
£4500! That's a lot of car for the cash!
View user profile

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 am
I was thinking of the Sandero being panda like, not the duster. They really are two shit names for cars
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am
£4500 is good...but not amazing. It's at the level where they probably wont make much/anything when they trade it on. It's probably worth approx £6k.

I mean it's still good yes..but i desire absolute bargains.

If it was £3500 (as i thought it was) i would have been very, very tempted. That would have been excellent for a 5ish year old 4x4 car - but with enough of a cushion to cover me if anything went wrong or i needed to sell, etc.
View user profile

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 pm
These are appealing in a way - in white with steel wheels in that really no frills spec!
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am
I've since driven the car again (just 'cos i wanted to) and its what i like.

The car is softly sprung and has a nice realxed gait. I like this. Sure, it leans and rolls a bit...but it just has a bit of an old, French feeling to it, like French cars used to be. The steering has some feel (i dont think it's an E-PAS, i think it's back to being hydraulic, there's more of a natural feel. The gearbox is 6 speed on the 4x4 model and the gears are easy to use. The engine is quite vocal but it pulls alright.

It does feel a bit dated in some ways like...in terms of, for example - the windscreen wipers are the old style one and the washer jet motors are loud, things like that where you can tell they've saved money on sound deadening, etc. And like...the handles and switches, i recognise these as a mixture of current and previous Renault items. For example - the volume controls on the steering column are the same ones as on the 2002 Megane that i owned, not the current ones that renault/nissan uses.

The doors close with a clang, for example, the seat fabrics are basic. Things like that where you can feel they've saved a few ££ here and there.
Saying that, this model is the Laureate and it has air con, x4 elec wins, cruise control, cd player, bluetooth etc, so it's got a decent spec - and extra touches like leather steering wheel, etc. I do think the basic Access model with its bare minimum spec will feel a pretty grim place to be...as this feels pretty grim but with some luxuries, at least.

The rust issue is worrying - the main culprits were white models but the consensus is that build quality in general improved a lot when the producton moved from India to Romania in 2014.

I dont think it's gonna be a goer for me. Despite probably being the cheapest Duster around, spec for spec....it's a little more than i want to spend.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum