Go down
View user profile

Re: There's a Tesla about......

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 pm
I'm disagreeing because I don't agree.
I think that all 911s are special to a degree. Yes versions lime the GT3 will be worth a fortune one day but that doesn't mean a Carrera 2 won't go up in value at some point. Perhaps what the dealer is saying is that buying a 997 now as an investment isn't a great idea as values are still falling. But I reckon anyone who bought a 996 Carrera2 a few years back when good examples could be had for around £10k is only going to make money, as long as they maintain it and don't really rack up the miles. I think the same goes for cars like the XK8. They were never that common and decent low milage examples are going to go up in value I reckon.
Personally if I was Doo I'd put the jag on the road and run it for a few years. Get it a bit of history and use post repair under it's belt, keep it well maintained but keep the milage down, say 1000 miles a year and in 10 years time I reckon it will be worth a fair but more than it is now.
The increasing adoption of electric cars and the move away from big engines means that die hard fans are going to be on the lookout for usable examples. The only potential problrm is if they are banned altogether. That'll make values fall, but I doubt that will ever happen.
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm
If you want an example look a a car like the 944 S2. Not iconic at all. Refered too as the poor mans Porsche by many but look at values of really good ones now. A few years back you could pick them up for £1500. Now the cheap ones are more like £8k and the good low milage examples £15k+. There are quite a few up at £30k+ which 10 years ago would have been unheard of.
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 pm
Well time will tell.
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 pm
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Classic doesn’t automatically mean lots of money.

As Teeps said - only time will tell.

Personally I think it’s a fairly long shot that Andoos Jag will be worth enough, that’s it’s worth maintaining, storing, insuring, etc, for 10 years.

View user profile

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 am
Renault Avantime are very cheap these days, if you can find a good one. Most are now owned by long-term fans.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum