Go down
View user profile

Thoughts ???

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 am
Was out in my mums A3 convertible the other day - only the 2.0tdi, but a good car ...

Any thoughts on this ??

OK, its only the 205 bhp diesel, but these aren't really sportscars, and it means I can get in to the much much nicer facelift version.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803094403932?model=E%20CLASS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2013&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&body-type=Convertible&postcode=sm25hr&page=4
Admin
View user profile

Re: Thoughts ???

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 pm
Just get it Smile You need to get one of these into and out of your system, you've talked about them for a long time. Nice car, will be nice to waft around in/ Maybe not the best engine in terms of a fun drive but i'd imagine it should be refined and swift enough and smooth with the auto.

So....i'd say....do it...and see what happens.
View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:13 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:Just get it Smile You need to get one of these into and out of your system, you've talked about them for a long time. Nice car, will be nice to waft around in/ Maybe not the best engine in terms of a fun drive but i'd imagine it should be refined and swift enough and smooth with the auto.

So....i'd say....do it...and see what happens.

I've offered him £15,000 subject to seeing it .. and he keeps emailing me back telling me why its worth more, and has now reduced to to £16k.

Its a slow burner, so he might come back to me at a later stage.

OK, a 4 pot diesel isn't going to be a rocket ship, but its not that sort of car.

Pretty sure its my next move.
View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:08 pm
With 204bhp and bags of torque it will be quick enough. Whether or not he lets it go for 15k is another issue.
View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 pm
Teeps wrote:With 204bhp and bags of torque it will be quick enough. Whether or not he lets it go for 15k is another issue.

Black possibly isn’t my preference anyway - so if it’s not this one, it’s the concept i’m interested in ...
View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 pm
Was just reading some comparisons between buyers reviews of the 250 vs 350. Seems mixed but mainly people saying how much smoother the 350 is. Classic answers being don’t test drive both if you’ll end up with a 250

They’re nice looking cars, friends brother has a 350 convertible (leased I assume).

It’ll be a wafter if that’s what you’re after
View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 pm
Why do you want a derv?!! You really don't do the mileage, AND you will kill it - regain /dpf stuff.

Fine if you get a job and commute to Reading every day, but not for yours!!

View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:29 pm
Hugh makes a good point.
View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Actually I think it's a perfect car.

Your a professional, that car is kick ass professional.

Deal with DPF as you find it, take for a long run when you need to etc..

View user profile

on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:20 pm
I’m at the point where I want one of these as my next car - but the diesel thing does bother me - but Mercedes don’t really do petrol ... there are tiny 4 pots, but I want more pace than that.

I was wondering whether the 4 pot diesels has less issues than the 6 pots ??

Fast, auto, ideally petrol, convertible, is my next move ...
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 am
Since you asked for our opinions, I would also say don't get a diesel - you don't do many miles, right? I'd rather have an older petrol one. It just doesn't seem right for a wafty convertible.
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 pm
Wife's C4 is a 1.6hdi with DPF tom foolery and when we 1st got it, after about 7/8 miles it would do a regeneration and all manner of jerking and shuddering was the order of the day.

She was using super (not so super) market fuel and I suggested she try BP Ultimate.

That must have been 3yrs ago and since she started using only BP we haven't had a single shudder or shake when regenerating.

Last mot the emissions read "0" Shocked

I asked him to test it again, and same "0" showed up which means the fuel is doing it's thing.

Previous tests had it around 0.12 and 0.19 which is good, but not great.

There is never any starting issues, no smoke or long turn over starts.

Regular oil changes also help...

In summation, if you buy a diesel car, don't mess around with shite fuel and long oil change intervals.

I'm done.
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm
You do know that Supermarket fuel comes from the same place as the branded stuff?
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:28 pm
You're the chemist here, I know BP put in additives so how is it the car struggles with Tesco fuel and within a month of putting in the BP Ultimate, the emissions have gone way down and the hunting has stopped and I've never needed a Cataclean or DPF cleaner.

This car does 1.5 miles to work and 1.9 back each day. Some days it gets lucky with a shopping trip and occasionally I take it further.

But 95% of it's daily jog is a 30mph or less run to her work and we all know that is utter death for a turbo diesel.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 pm
LK........as you may (or may not) remember, i drove a e220cdi rag top.........the engine is boring..........REALLY boring. seriously, its a huge car for a 2.0 diesel and its massively underpowered (IMO)

do NOT rush ahead and buy a four pot til you've tried the 6

but....to echo the comments above, why derv??, if Merc dont do a suitable petrol version, look elsewhere - a car without a good engine is just a car, right?
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Spot wrote:LK........as you may (or may not) remember, i drove a e220cdi rag top.........the engine is boring..........REALLY boring. seriously, its a huge car for a 2.0 diesel and its massively underpowered (IMO)

but....to echo the comments above, why derv??, if Merc dont do a suitable petrol version, look elsewhere - a car without a good engine is just a car, right?

8 pots are good too!!! Especially 6.2s!!
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Spot wrote:LK........as you may (or may not) remember, i drove a e220cdi rag top.........the engine is boring..........REALLY boring. seriously, its a huge car for a 2.0 diesel and its massively underpowered (IMO)

I’ve driven the 6 and absolutely loved it - but it’s still diesel !!!
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:16 pm
i think you'll really regret a diesel, unless its the BMW 3 twin turbo, that is still an amazing thing!

short journeys, petrol head, diesel........no, just no!. come on!!
View user profile

on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 pm
Spot wrote:i think you'll really regret a diesel, unless its the BMW 3 twin turbo, that is still an amazing thing!

short journeys, petrol head, diesel........no, just no!. come on!!

So, tell us more about the M235i. Been using it, or are you still away.

Wondering how useful the convertible thing is in real life .... i love a convertible, but it might be because i’ve never actually lived with one long term - other than the Lotus.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am
just got back from stockholm where it was 10c and on a geographical line with the highlands........but now, i'm home and its going to be 27c today, so before i go off to london tonight for a job, i shall be getting it out (ooer) and pointlessly going for a drive - that's why i bought a convertible, because of days like today Very Happy

had the roof down last weekend too, i love the feeling of open top motoring, its weird, but it brings more excitement in to driving as you can hear everything around you - and having the popping and gurgling of the exhaust is quite addictive too.........if you are in manual mode and you let off the throttle, it gurgles like a bastard. i'll try get a video today.

your kids would fit in the back no problem, despite being a baby BM, its essentially the same size as your 1.

the boot has a fold down flap thingy which, when the roof is up, creates a load more room for luggage and shopping - so it has daily function too

its practical.......and most importantly, a hoot to drive (which is the point really)

Admin
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am
Very goodings.
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:28 am
Spot wrote:just got back from stockholm where it was 10c and on a geographical line with the highlands........but now, i'm home and its going to be 27c today, so before i go off to london tonight for a job, i shall be getting it out (ooer) and pointlessly going for a drive - that's why i bought a convertible, because of days like today Very Happy  

had the roof down last weekend too, i love the feeling of open top motoring, its weird, but it brings more excitement in to driving as you can hear everything around you - and having the popping and gurgling of the exhaust is quite addictive too.........if you are in manual mode and you let off the throttle, it gurgles like a bastard. i'll try get a video today.

your kids would fit in the back no problem, despite being a baby BM, its essentially the same size as your 1.

the boot has a fold down flap thingy which, when the roof is up, creates a load more room for luggage and shopping - so it has daily function too

its practical.......and most importantly, a hoot to drive (which is the point really)

The M235i is a very good option .... you take £15k for yours ??? Very Happy

My only criticism, is that I think I would like something just very slightly larger.

However, the 3 series is looking incredibly dated these days, and the 4 series (although still not that pretty - I so much prefer cars with canvass roofs) is out of budget (I think).
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm
LKsOK wrote:Was out in my mums A3 convertible the other day - only the 2.0tdi, but a good car ...

Any thoughts on this ??

OK, its only the 205 bhp diesel, but these aren't really sportscars, and it means I can get in to the much much nicer facelift version.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803094403932?model=E%20CLASS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2013&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&body-type=Convertible&postcode=sm25hr&page=4

Well, this one has sold now ... Offered him £15k, and wasn't lucky ... although I suspect it was a blessing - not really feeling the diesel thing.

Onwards and upwards .....
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:29 pm
I wouldnt say its that small really, i'd say its the same size as teeps e46, which isn't a 'small' car

15k for mine?....hmm, no because it cost a lot more than that....and no cos its a keeper Razz
View user profile

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Indeed, my car is not small.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum