Go down
Admin
View user profile

2018 18 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.6HDI S/S Flair

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 am
I'll start by letting the car off *slightly* on the performance front as it's still a new engine with only 900 miles - but the performance of this 100ps 1.6 diesel (the car is approx 200kg lighter than mine and has more power and torque) feels distinctily 'meh'. It'll probably loosen up and be much better. It is quieter though in general use.

The Cactus is a car i like....and want to really like. I like the fact thats it's a bit different. The model was recently facelifted with different front and rear ends, tweaks to interior and importantly 'cushions' in the suspension - apparently to give it a more comfortable suspension like citroens of old. It was this aspect that i was most keen to try.
The looks - im not too keen on. I preferred it how it was. Citroen have made it fit in more with the rest of the range and the side bumps have been toned right down so they aren't really a feature any more. For me....thats a negative....but perhaps Citroen just thought the gamble hadn't paid off and they've made it more conservative. It now looks like a slightly bigger C3.
It may well work... - Lel who absolutely HATED the previous Cactus...said she really liked the new one and would be happy to drive it! So maybe i'm in the wrong...who knows.

Well anyway....im not blown away by the changes.

Yes, on the move...the ride is smoother than average i'd say...and quiet in operation...so it's nice. Not amazing...but it is like...smoother than average and quite good.

But 'quite good' doth butter no parsnips. I wanted to experience something amazing.

Around the streets and over slow bumps and stuff....it still clonks and bumps around like normal stuff. So....kinda..impressed and not impressed at the same time. (the flair model has biggish wheels which look nice but i think will only add more heaviness and unsprung weight etc. The smaller piddly wheels will give a better ride, i think.

Steering is too light. No feel. Electronic.

Gearchange is light and easy to use - but too 'baggy' with a long throw. Removes the possibly of 'snickety' changes.

Pedals feel a bit highly positioned. Driving position needs to be acquired and set up properly.

Diesel engine as mentioned above is doing it no big favours.

I like the look of the interior - it's like....minimalist. However....as mentoned a lot...nearly all functions have been put on the central touchscreen. I'm sure you can get used to it but it's not a car you can just get into and control all aspects of straight away.
The seats are nice and soft. Apparently these have been tweaked too. They were like this before though. Again, work is required to get a good driving position but yeah.
This model had a full length panoramic roof. I do like these...but unfortunately in the Cactus...they steal vital headroom.. The Cactus is strange in it's dimensions - it's a slightly 'jacked up' car..but the roofline is still low. If feels that way in the car too. Front is fine...but in the back, with the glass roof..it's too tight for me.

Without, its fine...and legroom is decent.

Boot is a decent size but loading lip is high.

I really really want to like the car a lot.....and i do like the petrol versions...their little 3 cyl engines are much more fun to use and a pleasure to work hard...but in this diesel version...i'm not super impressed.

At times when i drive the Picasso...i find it hard work...its not remotely sporty - but of course and doesn't try to be. BUT - i do see why i used to like them - for a newish citroen, the steering is good, the gearchange is decent...the ride is like...well judged. Strangely - at the time...i considered it the best overall all round driving of the Citroens at the time.

It seems that things may not have progressed. New Citroens need to drive better!

The C1 perhaps doesn't count as it's more of a Toyota - it drives very well and is a hoot.

So...a bit disappointed.

I'm driving the same car again tomorrow to an event. Perhaps i'll see the light then..........
Admin
View user profile

Re: 2018 18 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.6HDI S/S Flair

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm
Some accompanying imagery. This is the new model.

Admin
View user profile

on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm
This is the previous model.

Admin
View user profile

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm
I've driven the car again today - my opinion of it has improved slightly. When you are on the move, you can feel the effect of the cushions. The car has a smooth, quiet ride and a kinda....'suspended' feeling as you go along. It's nice and civilised.

The engine gives adequate performance and tends to display 50-60mpg at all times.

The front seats are comfy and supportive and do feel nice and soft and a bit 'old citroeny', which is good (IMO).

HOWEVER - it's not all good news - when pressing on, on some twisties...the chassis isn't the best. It seems to be quite slow to react to steering changes. You turn....then the car turns...then the body gets a bit unsettled...then it settles. It's kinda...slow witted and a bit floaty/bouncy. I gather the lighter petrols (with their lighter front ends) are better in this regard.

Also, again in like....slow speed stuff, streets, speed bumps etc....the car shimmies and bumps and clunks just like any other car would.

So...i'd say....the new suspension is good for cruising and moderate driving...in these conditions it DOES feel different to the norm and a bit special....but in higher or low speed stuff...it doesn't feel any different and if anything is maybe less good than before?

Dunno.

Anyway, i still like the car...but i still prefer the previous one. I may have a different opinion if i get to drive one of the petrols. They are now available in the 130ps 1.2 turbo 3cyl engine which a colleague says goes really well and suits the car.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 pm
Drove it again. Each time I drive it I like it a bit more. Mpg has potential to be really good. Way back including stop start traffic: 65mpg. Amazeballs.
View user profile

on Tue May 01, 2018 6:00 pm
Now in a car like this a 1.6d makes a lot more sense than a n/a 1.2 petrol.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 am
Absolutely not Teeps!!!!

Well, it does to a lot as the majority seem to be diesels and for slugging up and down the motorway, yes, but not for general 'round the doors' lower mileage use.

Petrol every time!
View user profile

on Wed May 02, 2018 6:47 am
Put your family in the car and then see which engine you prefer.

Posting at 2am! fun with the little one?
Admin
View user profile

on Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 am
Equally, put your family in the 1.6 Astra and it won't move! (Please note LK, this is the version of the engine AFTER yours i believe so it may not be representative of the ZafZaf)

Yeah, 2am. This time it was actually for work, doing spreadsheets that need to be done out of hours - but yes, lots of nights recently have been troubling ref child 2 whingy bitchness!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum