Go down
Admin
View user profile

2015 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Elite 5dr

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:34 am
Good evening.

So this is a courtesy vehicle supplied by the garage where SWMBO's sister got her 2013 CLA 180 from.

The CLA is a nice car but has been extremely unreliable. They've already had two Golfs as courtesy cars due to previous breakdowns as the current one is this.
They are trying to reject the CLA, it's been too shite and unreliable in a very short space of time.

I couldn't even summon up a semi when offered with the chance to drive it - but things improve when you get inside.

This being the Elite, it has the leather heated seats and more plush looking/feeling dash with piano black bits etc, dual zone climate etc.

A slight clue to the age of the model (2010ish) is revealed when you see there is no large screen on the dash, just a rather dated red pixely display. But some may like not having a screen.

Its quite a nice place to be and feels nicely built too. The seats are comfy and supportive. Heating settings not tested as it was a warm day, my apologies about this.

So - least good part of the car by a mile is the engine. - or rather...the way the engine has been required to be mapped etc.
In the previous iteration it's a sweet and quite lively engine, at least adequate for the job.

In this (and two others of this model I've driven) - it's just utterly flat, unresponsive and simply 'meh'.

It worked...but it wasn't a pleasure to use hard, feeling (and sounding) strained and strangulated most of the time.
Other not good points - maybe the visibility. Not as bad as a the swoopy coupe-like Insignia, but not great to see out from the inside.

It was a shame about the engine as the Astra is really a very nice car to drive! I was REALLY impressed with the ride of this car, it feels really well damped. I do like a good ride (oo-er missus). I've driven SXi versions previously which I think may have bigger wheels and/or sports suspension - all they do is spoil it IMO. This was much better!

This was a very well behaved, nicely flowing chassis. A bit of pitch and roll....but I don't mind that, you can feel what the car is doing and modulate accordingly. Thrown in a nice chunky/notchy typical Vauxhall gearchange - but one which is still smooth - and surprisingly sharp steering - it was a fun and impressive drive!
But it all emphasised how normal the engine was. Just so....meh!
A turbo version though....now you could be talking!

View user profile

Re: 2015 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Elite 5dr

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:27 am
I think that’s always been the problem with the newer astras, meh in abundance

Not bad cars at all, just not interesting

Usually great spec and comfortable place to be in the Elite though

Had a number of Astra SRI and SXI hire cars (VX dumping them cheaply I assume) and they were hugely inconsistent. Some were utter dogs while others felt ok
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 am
I've not driven my fathers car but he's happy with the engine. Says it's got a bit more go than his previous car, a 1.6 Meriva. Mind you, he isn't looking for fun and I doubt he has ever tried to push the engine hard. The rest of the review pretty much sums up my experience with the 1.6T SRI. I wasn't expecting to like it but it was a really good drive. I suspect the 1.4T is a better alternative to the NA 1.6 if you want more punch.
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 am
Sounds a bit like our Zafira .... for the money we paid for it BRAND NEW it’s a hell of a car.

The engine is very flat, but it’s a big car .... but the ride, etc, is brilliant on he whole.

I must get the tracking done though, as it pulls a bit these days ... and it is also very sensitive to different tyres for some reason .... close to getting 4 matching again, as i’ve Tried to move away from the OEM.
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am
Hmmm pretty much what i expected but its definitely in the frame as a focus replacement next year.
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:25 am
In my opinion is Astra is better than the Focus now.
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:04 am
Trouble with the engines is they are strangled to death because of all the emissions laws. You can remap them for a sportier feel, an extra 15/20bhp is about right.

As for the Zafira, have you ever removed the middle row of seats? Holy shit, they are seriously heavy!!! Shocked Combined with the two front seats and extra pair at the rear, you are adding the eight of another engine in there as sheer dead weight.

Still, Vauxhall cars are made for low end budgets on the main so they cater for those who simply want to go from A to B as opposed to those who wish to travese the whole alphabety spaghetti Rolling Eyes

But they do tend to be comfy and sharp steering feel in my humble.
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:31 am
Re. rear seats .. never removed them .. but they are pretty trick things ... they slide back and forward to allow access to the third row, they recline., the base comes up, etc ..... not surprised they weigh so much ..
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:39 am
I used to remove the rear seats in my old Picasso when not needed, it definitely made a difference to the speed and drive of the car! They were a different setup to a Zafira though, it was three individual seats. I'd estimate each say weighed about 20kg or something-ish. Not sure. But yeah it made a difference.

I have to say - the C3 Picasso is more modern and refined and stuff (and will be safer) but the old Xsara Picasso was so much better/easier from a junkmoveability POV. I mean...yes, you had to take the seats out for maximum space but even with them in and folded down/forward, you had a huge load space, far more than the C3 Picasso, seemingly.

I've just driven another car of the same age, size, and probably price to the Astra..but it's quite different.....review coming shortly.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum