Share
Go down
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:40 pm
In contrast to the Astra of the same age driven yesterday - this is the absolute bobby basic of the range. No alloy wheels, no air conditioning....not much of anything!

I was keen to have a go as (apart from a long time ago) every Cactus i've driven has been a diesel.

Well, the little 1.2 petrols are just better! If you aren't used to 3cyl engines...you may not like it. They have a bit of a shimmy and vibration at idle. I'm a fan though, they feel thrummy and buzzy and punchy beyond their outputs.

For me, the car moved along quite well. It's only got 82ps BUT - the car weighs only 965kg - and for a car of the genral focus/astra size...thats light. I can't find any specs but i would estimate the Astra is 200kgs+ more than the Cactus...and you can feel it. It feels like a light car and bimbles along nicely, despite its little engine and power output. On motorways however...it might feel a little wayward

The interior is very spartan and basic compared to the Astra.

Space is decent though. Headroom isn't massive but it's ok but legroom front and rear is decent and the boot is a good size, albeit with a high loading lip.

I really liked this. Because i'm weird.

I mean...the Astra is the 'better, 'nicer' car......especially in the much more comprehensive Elite trim.....

The basic nature of the Cactus is stark next to the rather plush Astra...but guess what... i like it more!

The ride is smooth and comfy and similar to the Astra (although probably not as well damped etc the Astra - indeed the Astra is probably 'better' to drive than the Cactus with a better gearchange and more refinement.

BUT - the engine in the Astra lets the side down - whereas the Cactus engine has character and sounds good and is lively and flexible - everything the more powerful Astra is not.

So yeah, for me...character means a lot in a car.

Here is the vehicle. Please let it be known, i'd want the next model up (Feel) with AC and alloys (but not necessarily the top Flair model which has the bigger alloys). I'd also not be against a daft colour like yellow or something as it's a daft car.


avatar
Posts : 1883
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:57 pm
Engine is everything .....

My mate wanted to borrow my Audi for a few days - so I’m in the 911 - and guess what ... the engine and gearbox in this are epic.

Don’t let me buy anything with less than 6 cylinders, or a turbo (got to be normally aspirated) and i’m falling into the same old trap of not wanting an automatic.

avatar
Admin
Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:32 pm
THAT 911 again........the temptress.
avatar
Posts : 1883
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:THAT 911 again........the temptress.

My daughter refuses to get in the back now though - says it’s too small !!!
avatar
Posts : 739
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Switzerland
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:48 pm
Ah the Porsche that pollutes every thread. Just kidd'ng I'm jealous.

Anyhoo Cactus will be Cac in a few years. It's typically French built very lightly and will bend and break easily. Imagine fill it up with people then hit a pothole. It's going to broke-tus. It's not built to take a pounding.

Prefer a Porsche.
avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:50 pm
Yet you still haven't bought the 911. Why?
avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:52 pm
No aircon on a 2015 car? I like the concept of the cactus but...
avatar
Posts : 1883
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:57 pm
Teeps wrote:Yet you still haven't bought the 911. Why?

Why would I, when I can use it whenever I want.

On a serious note, when your kids start moaning they’d rather go in the Zafira because they fit better, it starts you wondering whether your next car should be a lot bigger - the more useable it is, the more you can use it - RS6 anyone Cool
avatar
Posts : 739
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Switzerland
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:58 pm

I think LK is secretly enjoying driving the bit broken Audi. Windows down flirting with the women cause the air conditioning is broken.

Rattling noises as he drives over cobbles.

I used to be the same brings back memories. Although this car is also getting a bit broken.. already.

avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 pm
LKsOK wrote:
Teeps wrote:Yet you still haven't bought the 911. Why?

Why would I, when I can use it whenever I want.

On a serious note, when your kids start moaning they’d rather go in the Zafira because they fit better, it starts you wondering whether your next car should be a lot bigger - the more useable it is, the more you can use it - RS6 anyone Cool

I take your point entirely. When you have kids what is the point of a car that lacks practicality.

My point is that on a practical car whether the engine is exciting or not is kind of irrelevant if it doesn't tick the important boxes. Sure the 82 bhp 1.2 motor might be fun if you're alone in the car but put 4 adults in and it will quickly become and under powered waste of space. The 1.6 in the Astra with it's extra grunt would be vastly better in such circumstances.
The engines in all my focuses have been turds. The 1.8 diesel was the best of the bunch because it had enough grunt to still be perfectly drivable with 5 blokes in. It was able to overtake comfortably, get 40+ mpg all day long and never felt strained, however it was not fun in the slightest. The 1.8 was more fun thrashing it and being lighter made the car much better balanced, however it was uneconomical, pretty slow and in every practical respect not as good as the diesel. The 2.0 was just shit. Horribly uneconomical and almost as slow as the 1.8.
The 1.8 in the Toyota is a much better engine than the 1.8 zetec in the focus. Much more keen to rev, it picks up at 4000 rpm with a sense of urgency that makes it a pleasure to push to the redline. If the 1.8 petrol Focus had this engine it would have been better. However load the car up as the 7 seats allow and it is hopeless and a diesel would be a far better choice. The 1.8 engine is also uneconomical due to the weight of the car and the fact that the gear ratios have had to be selected to make it drivable. 23mph in 5th at 1000 rpm is just too high and means it only every gets mid to low 30s economy on the motorway. My 330i can do that.

avatar
Admin
Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 8:06 am
I agree with most of your stuff but:

"The 1.6 in the Astra with it's extra grunt would be vastly better in such circumstances"

This, I do not.

For want of a better phrase....this particular 1.6 is a pile of wank.
avatar
Posts : 739
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Switzerland
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 am


My Subaru is also a 1.6. With 4 wheel drive and a heavy body it's quite slow. Yesterday I pull on to the motorway from an on ramp. I forgot to accelerate like a mad man and pulled on to the motorway doing less than the speed limit and held up traffic felt embarrassed as I sped up slowly (flooring it in 4th) to about 140kph and said goodbye. hehehe.

Funny thing was the only car I think I bothered was a 20 year old Citroen AX who was right on my tail until I pulled in to let him pass.


avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 am
In what respect is it wank Crix? It's a very popular engine choice. I think the issue here is that you're looking for something in an engine that the majority of buyers aren't. For my father the engine is fine, as it seems to be for many other people. Now I'd wager that the 1.2 in the Cactus is wank as soon as you put a family in it.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 am
I'd wankspectfully disagree.

But yes, it's 'an engine' so it does the job - but years of sucessive emission targets and eletronic throttles for efficiency/mapping, extra weight etc have very much dulled the engine!

When the engine came out in like...what...2002ish? It was a lovely lively thing, sweet as a nut...but over time, despite gaining a few more horses (from 103 to 113 bhp i think) - it's gone languid!

Languid!

It's languid with one person in, never mind a family of four and luggage. (please remember, i did really like the car otherwise)

It's why the small turbo engines are taking over, they can like...comply to the official testy stuff without being strangulated as much (or they can at least have that 'strangulation' built in and not added as you go along)

Another example is the Fiat 1.2 engine.....was a lovely lovely sweet as a nut thing....now its absolutely flat as a total fart and the mapping/throttle problem was a big thing on Watchdog when they coulnd't go up steep hills!

The 1.2 in the Citroen is just...nice! It's not restricted, you can even spin the wheels with little effort.

If the Astra weighs approx 1250kg then it will have a similar power to weight to the Cactus too...but i haven't yet found the weight for the Astra.
avatar
Posts : 1883
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm
It's not really about power, it's about torque. That's what makes a car drivable.
We're just having a discussion LK, calm down.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm
Again, the Astra wont have a particular torque advantage once weights etc are factored in.

But yeah.

The Astra is a good car, very good, i was impressed, particularly so with the ride and handling combo. You could tell that a lot of thought had been put into how the car drives (and i couldn't say that so easily for some previous Vauxhalls.) But the engine reminds you that like....it's just...."an car".

But the Cactus is just a bit different and more like...fun. Cars need to have some kind of soul,................. man!

Mind....had the Astra had been a petrol turbo...that would have been several more brownie points.

Saying that though...the Cactus is also available with a 110ps turbo 1.2....i've not driven that version yet.

Oh! I just remembered, there's a slight design flaw with the Astra handbrake too, when you release it, it nips your thumb between the end of it and the gearstick shroud thing. Bit of a design faux pas. But minor and would hopefully be able to be worked around.
avatar
Posts : 1883
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 4:16 pm
Teeps wrote:
We're just having a discussion LK, calm down.

I know, Teeps ... but you are incredibly passive - aggressive .... I think you are more aggressive than you give yourself credit for.
avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Tue May 01, 2018 5:25 pm
Possibly.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 870
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 45
Location : at home
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Wed May 02, 2018 4:21 pm
I hired a C4 Cactus a few weeks back, it had a red top, it looked like a farking pokemon.

it also had the 1.2 3cyl engine.......it sounded great!...................but couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.


It was also like driving a trampoline, it was so bouncy and nearly left the country when turning a corner


over all, it was shit


thank you
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm
MAY i point out that Spot has (and has had) very powerful vehicles recently and at present. Naturally a 1.2 will feel very slow in comparison.

And the bounce MAY have had something to do with the loading of the cabin?

JUST putting that out there..................................
avatar
Admin
Posts : 870
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 45
Location : at home
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 pm
my van is only 120bhp, i drive that a LOT more than my car, so your argument is null and void.

the weight issue, however, is spot on
avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 pm
Brilliant lol
avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Wed May 02, 2018 5:15 pm
Crix regularly drives under powered shit boxes so is used to cars that couldn't win a drag race with a snail lol

Sorry Crix
avatar
Posts : 739
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Switzerland
View user profile

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

on Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 pm
I was behind a c3 cactus I think it was this evening and he over took and Audi for really no reason as we were all in a queue. Driving like someone with a cactus up his bum.


Sponsored content

Re: 2015 Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 82ps Touch

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum