Go down
View user profile

Stick or Shift.....

on Sun May 06, 2018 8:22 am
Looking at XFRs (as you do); mine has just hit 100k miles. It has a couple of small niggles that £500'ish would sort out. Then I see this on Autotrader - probably the best colour for an XFR. 6 months newer than mine, but with 3 years worth of mileage less (based on my current driving).

Mine has new front tyres, and of course the Spires Exhaust - the exhaust would be swapped over!

Is it worth it for a differential of about £6k?!

https://www.luckingtonprestigecars.co.uk/used-cars/jaguar-xf-5-0-v8-supercharged-xfr-4dr-frome-201803154604761?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=desktop&at_campaign=website-visit&_ga=2.189852969.346564935.1525590193-1822077519.1523992266

View user profile

Re: Stick or Shift.....

on Sun May 06, 2018 8:35 am
Personally i'd keep the £6k in my pocket towards any bills

The £500 of work you'll probably end up spending on niggles on that one over the first 12 months
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 8:54 am
Wow - love that colour - can’t believe i’ve not seen it before - why did no-one spec it. ???

£5k is a lot of money .....

I guess you need to consider future values too ... and work out whether yours or the new one will loose more over the next 2 years, and calculate that in too.

Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 9:40 am
I'd say, on balance, no.
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 9:59 am
I agree - sometimes it’s just worth sticking with the devil you know ... although it can be fun changing cars.

I’m going to get the wheels done on the 330i and for the sake of £60 put it back on Autotrader for a few weeks.

If it doesn’t sell, then absolutely no problems - but if like the Mazda I can nick £1000 and move on again, i’ll take the cash every time.

Mind - my choices were (finally) right .... more than 4 cylinders, auto, and convertible .....

So I may well be doing what you are doing, just finding another similar car ....
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Neither have a stick shift. The Jaguars have a wheelie thing to change the gears with?

I think you mean stick or twist as in Black Jack.

I would stick your current car in auto trader for 1000 more than you think it's worth, if it sells then you twist.

View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 pm
Mogs wrote:

Neither have a stick shift. The Jaguars have a wheelie thing to change the gears with?

I think you mean stick or twist as in Black Jack.

I would stick your current car in auto trader for 1000 more than you think it's worth, if it sells then you twist.

Mogs, you are star pupil of the day.

I like your style.
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 pm
LK, NO!

Stop buying cars and putting them up for sale! Get to know the 330i and just fecking keep it rather than treating each car like a fecking flip opportunity!

For flips sake!
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 3:43 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:LK, NO!

Stop buying cars and putting them up for sale! Get to know the 330i and just fecking keep it rather than treating each car like a fecking flip opportunity!

For flips sake!

Cool

Yeah, but what if I can flip myself in to something very special ?! Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 3:52 pm
if you can do it and turn a profit, then why not?

thats how the housing market bloody works, so you should be used to it Wink
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 4:29 pm
Yeah but no! It's like LK immediately decided he doesn't like the car! If you have a car.....but are constantly looking to sell it...it's like...not genuine!

I know I'm one to talk as at one stage I went through cars quickly but it wasn't like that! I appreciated every car fully....and didn't whore it out! !!

Is whore it out too harsh a phrase? Probably yes.
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 5:08 pm
So you can turn a profit on a car, but no-one else can ?!

Just joking ....

Truth be told it was also because I was still unsure about the colour,  but had a good day in it today, and getting used to it !!!!

So, I may not turn it.

Virtually all my cars have been grey or silver (Punto, Alfa Romeo, Yaris, Zafira, Audi A3, Lotus) ... and all the others have been fairly muted .... bright white with red leather is so not what I am used to ....

Sssssooooooooo,

What you gonna do, Hugh .... ??????!!!!!!
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 6:03 pm
I was offered an L322, but decided no.

Sure it's newer and more spec, but also a whole shed load more to go wrong and therefore more money to spend on repairs & servicing...

Besides, my car is very pretty and I am fond of it....Better the devil you know Huge king
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 7:10 pm
Hugh, no. Stick.

LK, I'm with Crix on this. Why do you think you're going to make another grand on this one? Was it very cheap?
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 9:01 pm
Emails have been exchanged - I have sent more details about my car.

Trade prices are £2k apart, plus a margin for him......

The niggles on mine are -

- area on rear bumper that has had a bad smart repair.
- noisy suspension; sure its the rubber on top of the rear damper top mount - a rubber rubbing noise. Silent when it's just me in the car. With rear passengers it gets louder. But at speed the noise stops.
- some creasing of the leather on top of dash - where the glue fails over time. Irritating and time consuming repair.

So the above is probably nearer a grand to sort.

IF the blue one is mint, with few owners and tyres / brakes are in good condition then it's a maybe. But I would want to check out the suspension components - mine has had a fair bit of work (based upon its age). It seems that the XF needs such work at about 70-90k miles!

For the right price differential, then perhaps!

Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 9:52 pm
LK, I never get any of my cars with a view to make money, even though I have one a few of them.

I just find the kinda...just bought a new car but I'm immediately gonna try to sell it thing just like...disingenuous and like...basically a trader!
Like....here's my new car, it's lovely but it's up for sale in case I can turn a few bob....it's just like....the car isn't yours!? You are just middle-man until the next actual owner buys the car.

As you can tell, this has riled me somewhat. My apologies all round.
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 10:19 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:LK, I never get any of my cars with a view to make money, even though I have one a few of them.

I just find the kinda...just bought a new car but I'm immediately gonna try to sell it thing just like...disingenuous and like...basically a trader!
Like....here's my new car, it's lovely but it's up for sale in case I can turn a few bob....it's just like....the car isn't yours!? You are just middle-man until the next actual owner buys the car.

As you can tell, this has riled me somewhat. My apologies all round.

Mate, I am sorry you feel that way.

Every car I have bought has been bought with the intentions of keeping it - I haven’t set out to buy and sell.

The MX5 was meant to be a keeper, but I got it home, and found out it was peppered with rust, and I just wanted out - the profit was a bonus.

I’ve had the A3 9 months now - so hardly bought to flip, and it’s not sold yet.

I only made a passing comment on the BMW that if I could sell it for now, that I would ... but what’s driving that is not to seek out a profit - but that I am really 50-50 about whether I bought the right (or wrong) colour. It’s not that I don’t like it, I do, it’s just such a change from what I am used to.

I’ve never bought a car with a profit in mind ....

However, if I was to turn a profit - that money goes in to paying my mortgage, or stuff for the kids, or holidays for the family .... you only live once, and if I can make a few quid, and give my family a better life, then I will do it ..... I can’t force someone to sell, or buy, a car from me ..... so everyone is happy.

We’re all middlemen in our own way .... I bet your service centre is selling items for 3-4 times what the suppliers charge you .... John Lewis won’t sell an item (except electrical) that doesn’t have 300% profit on it ....

Anyway, I’m warming to the BMW colour, so it might never happen.

Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 pm
hang on crisps..........there's nothing wrong with trading up......if you can start with £1000 and work your way up to something with a value of £10000 - WITHOUT actually spending any money on it, then why wouldn't you?

you're not a dealer, they have a forecourt of multiple cars, its just a kinda hobby to build up to something REALLY special

i don't see anything wrong in it if you have the time/desire for it

Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 11:44 pm
Hmm.
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:12 am
Spot, you may find the inland revenue have a different view to what constitutes a trader. There is a limit to how many cars you can buy and sell before the tax man will come knocking.
I do see what Crix is saying and I kind of agree with him.
LK, stop worrying about the feckin colour and drive the damn car.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 am
Teeps wrote:Spot, you may find the inland revenue have a different view to what constitutes a trader. There is a limit to how many cars you can buy and sell before the tax man will come knocking.
I do see what Crix is saying and I kind of agree with him.
LK, stop worrying about the feckin colour and drive the damn car.

its hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly unlikely that the tax man is going to swoop down on james from saaf london for making a few quid on a couple of cars Very Happy
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:23 am
My point was that a trader isn't just somrone with a forcourt and a dozen or more cars for sale. LK was the MX5 ever registered in your name?
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:53 am
Teeps wrote:My point was that a trader isn't just somrone with a forcourt and a dozen or more cars for sale. LK was the MX5 ever registered in your name?

Of course - I had it about a month
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 am
Morning everyone!
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am
Morning ...
Sponsored content