Go down
View user profile

Bloody fecking hell

on Sun May 06, 2018 7:15 pm
So I upgraded the stereo on my car, which just highlighted how shit the speakers were. So I bought an upgrade that is supposed to be a straight swap. All I can say is "Is it feck a straight swap!".
What a feck on. It's taken ages to fit one side and there is no way the standard stuff is ever going back in now, unless I get new door cards. What a ballache. At one point I had to use a mallet and a sharp chisel. Let's hope the sound quality improves.
View user profile

Re: Bloody fecking hell

on Sun May 06, 2018 7:38 pm
“Straight swap” was the reason I gave up installing new speakers in the Qashqai. Can’t deal with the faffing about
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 7:53 pm
I got a straight swap kit for the 1 series, and it was .... sound quality was amazing too ...

£300 though !!!
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 9:46 pm
This is why I can't be arsed with anything to do with audio upgrades.
Admin
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 pm
yup, i got a straight swap kit for my 335d, piece of piss to fit........i suspect you bought the wrong kit

mine was specifically designed to fit a F30....and it did
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 pm
Focal, Basil ??
View user profile

on Sun May 06, 2018 11:18 pm
I didn't buy the wrong kit. I even checked back with the company that sold me them and went onto a Forum to see how others have got on. The speaker adaptors are listed everywhere as suitable for my car but aren't without modification. Sadly there are no instructions on how to fit them and I can't find any videos. I suspect BMW changed the design of the factory speaker mounting or something like that.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:23 am
LKsOK wrote:Focal, Basil ??

nein, Ground zero, they are fantastic units and slightly cheaper than the focals at £250.

Teeps, you bought a dodgy set if they require modification, if you buy focal/ground zero/rainbow etc, they are designed to fit and hot swop cables - most BMW speakers are just 3 point fastenings, if you have to buy spacers and mod kits, then its not worth it.

trust me, i have played with car ICE for years Smile
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:25 am
Me too and BMWs are shit when it comes to upgrading hifi. The Rainbow jobbies were £300 which would have pushed the cost including the headunit to £500 which seemed excessive given the cost of the car.

Edit: However why I have I just spotted this noe
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3895456
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 am
A tv ????
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 1:47 am
I was up to hi fidelity tricks too alien

It sounds great, even at 70mph. It was great when hoping to Aberdeen. Radio 2 keeps me company, but I also have USB flash drives with all manner of tunes.

Those speakers are JBL's 10cm jobs.

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 am
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 am
Just leave things alone!
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:02 am
Doo you building a mini Goldwing?

Teeps I can’t believe caraudiodirect are still going
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:18 am
Crix, no. The standard speakers sound properly crap and I mean so crap I wouldn't play certain mudic in the car. It is devoid of any bass. Now if you're not into music this may not matter. I am so it matters a lot.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 am
Yes but they kind of music you're into, ooohhhh dear!
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 am
Given all metal bands have a bass player it's kind of essential to have some bass lol.
Next question do I fit the other side or give it up as a bad job. I could source another door card off ebay, although finding one with the right trim/colour may take a while, and then upgrade to something better. However that would mean spending another £200...
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:32 am
Yeah but don't you like that horrible screamy death metal stuff? That stuff where there's just a shouty voice going 'I waaaaant to... DIIIIIIIIEEEEE' over something that resembles a song?

If it's not that, fair enough.

I like all kinds of music. My play list on Deezer has all kinds of different shizzle on it.

Yes, I have Deezer, get me!
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 am
No Crix, it's noy like that, or at least not all of it.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 am
Ah good! Here are two snapshots of part of my playlist to show I have multi- tastes. Or lack of, depending what you think.
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am
Some of that looks ok Crix, I like a bit of everything music

I downloaded Stormzy recently, some of the stuff is clever but flicking the tracks on when it’s on random play with kids in the car is a pain
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 am
Yes, my musical taste is a little less eclectic. Sill Radiohead to Cradle of filth is pretty broad...
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am
Went out to look ay the other side. After sleeping on it I had a few ideas so this morning went a lot better. Took other door card off as well and put the one I fitted yesterday in a lit better. Had to remove a fair bit of plastic from the door card but it is a vast improvement. Off out now so I won't get it finished until later.
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm
Teeps wrote:Went out to look ay the other side. After sleeping on it I had a few ideas so this morning went a lot better. Took other door card off as well and put the one I fitted yesterday in a lit better. Had to remove a fair bit of plastic from the door card but it is a vast improvement. Off out now so I won't get it finished until later.

I agree that some re-installs are a mare. I have done a fair old amount of fitting ICE into various models with the worst being a Volvo! More feckin screws than a Merkin prison!

I struck it lucky with George, the speakers are astoundingly good! I fitted a SONY with all the toys and I love it.

The bike system is good, but the radio looks a bit meh even though it is a non CD half depth fella. Still, needs must. When I get a system that goes under the seat with a small remote that can stick to the handle bar I'll be happy to change.

This time tomorrow I should be on my way to Aberdeen to get her back... Can't wait Cool

I am planning some tunes for the ride home, 10cc, Genesis, American Heartbeat, Neil Diamond, Bob Seger, etc I love you
Admin
View user profile

on Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 pm
sorry teeps my ICE comment sounded a bit condescending, wasn't meant that way.

I looked in to MB Quart to replace the whole lot in the F30......mixed reviews so i steered clear. I can recommend the ground zero ones though, they are german (good start) and they are amazingly resilient to all kinds of abuse - obviously they are better pre-amped rather than powered by the head unit, but still a SHIT load better than stock.

Bassjunkies (shit name) is where i got mine, i actually drove to their showroom and sound-tested them against focal and another cheaper brand, they were miles ahead (focal were very harsh)

thankfully, the new car has the uprated harman system and its bloody good!, the subs are leaps and bounds over the standard - its not like a chav-boy twin 18 inch sub type sound, its refined and punchy, love it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum