Re: My driving day tomorrow .....

on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:04 pm
Sutton and Cheam SM2

Thanks mate.
View user profile

on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 pm
Andoo ...

Was reading and talking to someone about cleaning my MAF sensor, and read that using the below, because it doesn’t leave a residue, would be fine.

Pulled the MAF out - looked clean, but looked old (original) ... so sprayed it down, let it dry, started the car, and not that I have tested the car, but started fine.

Now, done a bit more reading, and some people saying only use MAF Cleaner ....

Anyway, done now, and if I need a new MAF then so be it - it might actually turn out to be my issues ...

But, is this stuff ok to use?? Should I spray it again with electrical cleaner/ MAF specific stuff ... or just leave alone now, and what will be will be ??

View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:14 am
Ok - took the kids to school in the car this morning .... hit 3,000 revs going up the hill - bang - tripped out.

Stopped the engine - did the same 3,000 revs, and bang !!!

Drove the rest of the way to school slowly - got back in the car and driving back - car is perfect.

Any significance the the 3,000 revs ?? Lifters, Vanos ?? Or has the car just had time to warm up a little ??
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 am
3000 rpm is probably too low for vanos.
If I was you I take it to another BMW speciallist. Are you anywhere near Munich Legends?
http://www.munichlegends.co.uk/
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am
I’ll email them, and see what they say.
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm
Sorry for late reply, been busy with **CID, out on bike and what not....

Anyway, 3000rpm on a diesel would suggest a Mass Air Flow problem (it goes into limp home mode as the reading from the MAF doesn't match whats going down the exhaust).

So, my guess would be the MAF is reading X but the O2 sensors are reading Y.

This tells me you either have an air leak or a MAF problem.

Like I said before, the air leak is likely a split hose or a broken inlet manifold or perhaps the pipe from the MAF sensor to the inlet is compromised (split, broken or twisted).
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 pm
It's a petrol Doo.
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm
** We had a fire in our block while we were on holiday and now it's a murder investigation. I can't say much at present, suffice to say, it would seem my help has been vital Shocked
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:07 pm
Teeps wrote:It's a petrol Doo.

I know, that is why I explained about MAF and O2 sensors, diesels don't use MAF for fueling, they use it to control the EGR valve....
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:28 pm
Interesting ... so here is the latest.

I cleaned the MAF, and it tripped out twice this morning (once tripped I stop and restart the car, and it clears it) when the engine was cold ... but after it warmed up a touch its been good as gold.

In fact, the idle seems a little higher now (I think - which is a good thing - it felt too low previously) .. so not sure if the car is learning the cleaned MAF?!

Tomorrow morning will be the tell, whether we are making progress or not ... and happy to put a new MAF on it, if it needs it .. £200 on a new MAF would be a right result at this stage.

I guess if not, its a smoke test job (which is what I though the garage was going to do in the first place)

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 pm
So did the garage actually do anything? Or was the car just parked on the street for a few days?
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:57 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:So did the garage actually do anything? Or was the car just parked on the street for a few days?

I collected the car on Saturday ... and sent them an email ....

Hi Graham
I realised that I needed the car seat out of the car, and in the end it was much easier just to take the car, just so you know.
I’m guessing you didn’t have time to check the spark plugs or call me on Friday, and I guess you’ve been quite busy this week, as the brakes were well and truly stuck on to the discs, so I’m assuming the car hasn’t moved much this week?
Of course I can drop the car back if you’ve not finished your testing, or if you’ve got another other ideas what to test.
Or if you want me just to collect the key, and collect the engine diagnostics and pay any bill (if any) then just let me know.
Thank you.
James

I wanted to call them out, without calling them out, so that they either don't charge me and I can take it elsewhere, or they think 'sheet, we need to get this one fixed'.

I wasn't sure what reaction they would take ... but they emailed me saying they have been researching it over the weekend, and can I drop the car back tomorrow night, for more testing !!!

I think because I was away last week, it just got put to one side ... their reviews are very good, and it super convenient for me ... so fingers crossed they put a bit more effort in to it this time*

* well, fingers crossed that cleaning the MAF has fixed it - but that might be too much to ask.
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 pm
Thank you for the update Smile

Fingers crossed Smile
View user profile

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 am
So, Andoo .... how is this for a theory I chanced going last night.

A leaky injector (or so)

The theory being that the leaky injector slow let’s a bit of fuel through when the car is sat overnight.

Car is started in the morning, and backed out of the drive, and when I had it up the hill, the fuel levels increase and the engine see’s it rich ..... so, it pulls all the cylinders back to try and compensate, and bang, it’s actially showing lean across both banks now ... after a short drive, and leaking injector ‘dries’ out, and the car is golden all day ...

Does that work as a theory ??

Where would you go in terms of fixing it - injector Cleaner’s, or new injector(s)
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:23 am
*sucks air through teeth*
View user profile

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 am
MegaCrixel wrote:*sucks air through teeth*

I'll be happy just to know its fixed and I can start enjoying (or selling Laughing ) it.

Once fixed, I will be contacting the seller, and pushing for compensation ... he told me he was offered pennies for it as a trade in, so there is money there, I've just got to find a way of extracting it.

Guilt trip the seller in to getting some money back ...

Well - the saga continues.

Garage has just called me .. car not faulted today - so, they are going to rest it, and try it again later.

Fault codes are ready low fuel pressure, but when analyzing the data - the numbers apparently aren't low.

He was wondering whether its been re-mapped, but badly ....

I am more wondering whether the new fuel pump wasn't 'flashed' to the car properly when it was changed (is this a thing)?

Anyway, they aren't immediately looking at leaky injectors.
View user profile

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 am
View user profile

on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 am
Leaky injector looks very possible, but I think they are following the 'low fuel pressure' route for now ....

I am starting to wonder whether it could be a bad remap ... I wouldn''t have thought it would be too hard for them just to run a current stock map over it, and that'll tell us ... or the other option is of course, pulling the plugs in the morning.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:04 pm
So, the garage has done all their checks on cold cycle the High pressure fuel pump is fluctuating pressure - so they reckon it’s that.

So booked it in to BMW to have checked, as replaced 18 months ago, so still under warranty.

Andoo - worth running some fuel cleaner through it!?

Why only affecting cold running ??
View user profile

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 pm
LKsOK wrote:So, the garage has done all their checks on cold cycle the High pressure fuel pump is fluctuating pressure - so they reckon it’s that.

So booked it in to BMW to have checked, as replaced 18 months ago, so still under warranty.

Andoo - worth running some fuel cleaner through it!?

Why only affecting cold running ??

No! It's all smoke & mirrors... Just throw in decent fuel like BP or Shell.

I'm not convinced, but it's possible that the cold is causing the pump to stick. When it's warm everything expands a bit so it gets easier to pulse... Not really sure TBH.

Ask them to change the temperature sensor as well. Wont do any harm and they cost about 12 quid.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:52 pm
Not sure I agree that fuel cleaner is smoke and mirrors. It's backed up with some pretty established chemistry. A bottle of redex is only £5 socan't do any harm.
The expensive fuel simply has it in in the first place.
However if it needs a new fuel pump it isn't going to fix it.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 pm
Andoo - something to do with the fact the pump, pumps differently when warming up ... and the regulators can fail, but the regulator is all built in.

To be fair, the HPFP is a known issue on these - but I would have thought that the new one 18 months ago would have fixed it - but there are instances of repeated failures, and there are newer versions, but BMW is using up all the old versions first
View user profile

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm
LKsOK wrote:Andoo - something to do with the fact the pump, pumps differently when warming up ... and the regulators can fail, but the regulator is all built in.

To be fair, the HPFP is a known issue on these - but I would have thought that the new one 18 months ago would have fixed it - but there are instances of repeated failures, and there are newer versions, but BMW is using up all the old versions first

Or maybe the issue is that the fuel pump failure is a symptom of another problem that hasn't been fixed, hence it's failed again.
View user profile

on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm

So, I don’t know if this is progress or not as yet, but here’s the news.

Reading about similar symptoms with dodgy VANOS solenoids, I decided to clean, and switch them around.
This morning - no issues (could be a fluke?!) .... are feels different, to me sounds better, and the MPG seems a lot better ... so maybe it’s worked for now - I will buy new solenoids if it’s the answer.

But - car seems great - except it seems to be pinking a little the moment I hit the throttle ... I don’t have the ability to reset the trims ... so will it adjust - or does it tell us a story that one of the solenoids is knackered ... or is it none to the above ??

I appreciate you can only really guess - but thoughts are interesting
View user profile

on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:29 pm
A modern car shouldn't pink should it? Vanos problems have been know to manifest as a metallic rattle.

Last edited by Teeps on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum