Go down
View user profile

Another change of car

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 pm
Well, my eldest son has really been struggling with the 107 over the weekend and today. No real surprise as he's not driven a manual car since his test over 2 years ago. The engine is so quiet, and in the absence of a rev counter has added to the woes. I've taken him out in it a number of times, but today driving to one of the schools he lost all confidence, stalling on a number of occasions. Part of the problem is overthinking, and the control of clutch / throttle etc etc.

Given enough practice time, I'm sure he'd be fine, but his job involves going to 3 sites a day, and he has to cover on top of that. All very stressful.

Anyway two phone calls later and I have the solution to the problem. I phoned the dealer that sold the car to me; luckily he has a 107 Auto in stock and he's happy to take ours back and give me the £400 difference. He's having it serviced and a new MOT, ready for Thursday afternoon. The insurance will be the same price! Result.

I took him out again this evening and the problem is with all those little decisions we all make without thinking. He's generally fine, and then thinks about something and stalls. Afterwards I took him down to the industrial estate and got him to sit in the driving seat of the Jag, very carefully revving it. Then I told him to put it in drive (with foot on brake) and let it roll forward on the tick of the engine. He was grinning from ear to ear; he couldn't believe how easy it is to drive! I got him to drive it along and turn it around, reversing into a driveway. Each run he gave it a couple more beans, but only flexing his foot by 10mm or so.
View user profile

Re: Another change of car

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:10 pm
Blimey - that’s some easy going dealer ....

So, is 107 1 more owner now ?? Does this not bother the dealer ??

An auto version will be quite go-cart actually
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 am

Sign of the fooking tmes cannot drive a manual.

I cannot operate a smart phone. hehehe

View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:50 am
Are you paying the screen price for the auto 107?
I suspect the dealer knows he can sell the other one very easily.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:05 pm
The auto gearboxes in these aren't the best. They are Toyotas automated manual. However i'm sure it'll be fine for your son, hope he likes it Smile
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:The auto gearboxes in these aren't the best. They are Toyotas automated manual. However i'm sure it'll be fine for your son, hope he likes it Smile

I think it sounds similar to the Smart auto box. It has a traditional type clutch etc etc.

I agree with the comments above - the manual with 42k miles is (in theory) easier for the dealer to sell. The auto is having an MOT and service before collection / swap over.

View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 pm
Teeps wrote:Are you paying the screen price for the auto 107?
I suspect the dealer knows he can sell the other one very easily.

Yes and yes. So he's giving me £400 back.

View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 pm
Exactly. So he's getting full screen price for the auto and giving you the difference between that and the reduced price you paid for other one. I bet he'll end up being quids in on the deal if he can sell the one you're handing back for more than you paid, especially as he's now sold the auto for the full price.
Sounds like win/win to me.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm
Teeps wrote:Exactly. So he's getting full screen price for the auto and giving you the difference between that and the reduced price you paid for other one. I bet he'll end up being quids in on the deal if he can sell the one you're handing back for more than you paid, especially as he's now sold the auto for the full price.
Sounds like win/win to me.

Well, yes, but if he was like LK - I'd only get trade-in price against the Auto!
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:25 pm
Hugh washed the manual - Dealer 1 point.
This one is a Automatic - Hugh 1 point.
Dealer pays Hugh 400 squid - Hugh 1 point.
Hugh's son can drive this one. - Even though wimps drive auto's - probably a ruby player and will kill me - Hugh another point.

Maybe there are some other points I didn't figure in.

View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 pm
The question is Hugh, would you have taken thr deal had he only offered you the PX value.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 pm
Teeps wrote:The question is Hugh, would you have taken thr deal had he only offered you the PX value.

No. I'd have sold it for as near to my purchase price as possible, after buying this (or any other small, cheap to insure auto).

View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Exactly so the dealer played it well. He gets one car back that he sold for a knock down price, the only difference being one more owner. He then sells another for full price. I bet one more owner makes no difference to the cars value.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Teeps wrote:Exactly so the dealer played it well. He gets one car back that he sold for a knock down price, the only difference being one more owner. He then sells another for full price. I bet one more owner makes no difference to the cars value.

I see your point, but I have ended up in a better position than if I PX'd the car elsewhere, or sold privately.

So both parties win.

And I've also got a buyer for the roof bars on the automatic!

View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 pm
Like I said, win win.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 pm
Teeps wrote:Like I said, win win.

Oh yes indeed! Everyone's a winner!

View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 am
I swapped the car over last night - paintwork not the best, but machine polishing and some touching up will help.

Full tank of petrol should be good for about 400 miles.

The auto box seems fine; not the fastest car, but it should get my son to work at various schools around the area. And a cheque for £400....

Review to follow......
View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:16 am
A cheque?

Do people still use those?

Sounds a good deal to solve the problem quickly
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum