Go down
View user profile

The search for a new car

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm
Laughing

So, it’s time to start planning the next car.

The bits I want to keep ...
Good sized car, big enough for the whole family, ideally coupe in shape.
Automatic.
Pokey.
Sporty drive

The bits I might consider changing ....
Starting to question whether i’d trade the soft top, for a sunroof ... my concerns with the soft top - security, ie. driving around London with the roof down. Also, the fact that it stops me putting a roof box on it, which limits us using it for family holidays. Also, the BMW does flex a bit of the bumps ... much prefer something a bit more rigid !!!! Embarassed
The 6 cylinder petrol - amazing, but thirsty as heck !!
BMW - never again - both my Mini’s were trouble, and now this one is going the same way.

So, what next ??

View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm
Not that much choice really. It's going to be Audi or Merc surely. Nothing from the Japanese these days and same goes for the French. Korean? Not likely. Ford? Focus ST but a world away from the BMW. Vauxhall? Can't think of anything.
So eith German or you go for a different type of car, say a hot hatch.
Saying that how about a Jag? XE or maybe an Alfa?
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:54 pm
If LKs worrying about niggles with his BMW, he'll never get an Alfa!
And LK...don't worry about the soft top thing and a roof box....You've got the perfect family holiday car in the ZafZaf.

Erm....hmmm. I need to think.
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:07 pm
....and the perfect sports coupe in (someone else’s) 911
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 pm
I hope it turns out to be niggles - but at the moment it’s back in the garage, and i’m back in the 911.

At the moment, and only from dead cold, the BMW is going in to limp mode ..... the rat that sold the car to me must have known how to set the car up so it drives perfectly.

Worryingly, I always enjoying driving the ZafZaf ... maybe I need to take a new tactic, and buy a Rangie or Q5 or something Cool

This would do Laughing

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805166578231?atmobcid=soc4
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm
I love Lexii.
Pretty much like all of their cars. The LC500 is a total stunner!
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 am
A colleague has just bought an SQ5 and loves it

You could always go backwards...

Sell the BM and buy a fun 2 seater for the summer. Accept you’ll lose a few quid selling it out of season but enjoy running it
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:17 am
What's the budget?

How about a Nissan 370Z
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 am
Teeps wrote:What's the budget?

How about a Nissan 370Z

Needs to have more than 2 seats.

£20k if it blows me away ......... but £15k - £16k ideally.

BMW is in the garage again - so lets see what comes out of today .. I reckon I could punt it on and break even, but it might mean not disclosing the issues, and that's not my style ..

View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:55 am
I agree about disclosing issues but you will lose money.
Fingers crossed.
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 am
I'll see what the outcome is today ... for me, I wouldn't feel happy stitching someone up like I have been.

I've text the guy I bought it from telling me what I think of him, and that I will be investigating my rights ... apparently there have been instances where sellers have been pulled over the coals for not disclosing issues .. and I did ask him about any faults, and he said 'none'.

Easy trick to play - car drives perfectly apart from the first 5 mins, of the first drive, every day ... I'm now thinking leaky injector, or small oil leak, etc ... I reckon if the garage pull the plugs, it might tell a story.
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:13 am
If you have in writing the seller stating the car has no faults then you might have a case. You might want to ask the garage if they can pull up a list of every time the ECU ha shown a fault code or gone into limp mode eyc. I recall a story where a seller was caught out because there was a record on the ECU of fault codes being resey multiple times before the car was sold with "No known faults".
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am
LK......its a ballache but surely you have little or no come back on a private sale.

Do you suspect the guy had deliberately done it? Do things start to make sense if you think like that? Or do you think he was genuine and this has just happened at the same time, kinda thing?
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:24 am
A print out of any fault cofes logged on thr ECU can tell you that Crix.
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:24 am
Teeps wrote:If you have in writing the seller stating the car has no faults then you might have a case. You might want to ask the garage if they can pull up a list of every time the ECU ha shown a fault code or gone into limp mode eyc. I recall a story where a seller was caught out because there was a record on the ECU of fault codes being resey multiple times before the car was sold with "No known faults".

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Any idea where you might have read this ?
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 am
Piston heads I think. IIRC it was an Audi S4 or maybe an RS4.
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am
Thanks.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:50 pm
Teepnum PI!
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 pm
As a private seller why would you ever put in writing “no known faults”

If you do ever find the perfect 4 seat coupe / convertible LK let me know because I’ve been looking for ages...
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 pm
Paul123 wrote:As a private seller why would you ever put in writing “no known faults”

If you do ever find the perfect 4 seat coupe / convertible LK let me know because I’ve been looking for ages...

I am sure I'll be a lot happier if this one is fixed, or I win the lottery and can buy a 3 car garage, including a GT3, C63 AMG convertible, and a SQ5 ... until then, in the words of Alan Sugar ... 'The search continues'
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 pm
Paul, because if it has no known faults then it's a good thing to say. If you don't know it has a fault then you're fine. What you can't do is knowingly lie about a cars condition, even as a private seller.
The days of being able to shaft a buyer if you sell privately are gone, as long as the buyer can prove you lied.
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 pm
As a private seller you’re not offering a warranty or (usually) a trained mechanic so it would be a really stupid thing to say and even worse write down
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm
Taken from Which re private purchases

Second-hand car bought privately

You have fewer rights when you buy a used car from a private seller, and key parts of the Consumer Rights Act don't apply. For example, there is no legal requirement for a car to be of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.

But contractual rules about misrepresentation do apply. So, legally, the seller must:

accurately describe the second-hand car. For example, an ad must not say 'one owner' when the car has had several
not misrepresent the second-hand car, ie tell you something about it which isn't true. For example, if it’s been in an accident, the owner mustn't tell you it hasn't.
If you're buying from a private seller, the onus is on you as the buyer to ask all the right questions before making the purchase. The seller doesn't have to volunteer extra information so, if you don't ask questions, you may not have the full picture of the car's history or be aware of any potential faults.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:20 pm
Exactly!
View user profile

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:29 pm
Why would it be stupid to say or write down? If a car has no faults that you are aware of then there is mo problem saying it or writing it. If it is an honest statement then it can not come back on you.
If a buyer discovers a fault after it is sold they need to prove that you knew about it before the sale.

This is a situation where honest people have nothing to fear.
The "It's up to the buyer to spot the problems, I aint saying nothing" approach is morally reprehensible IMHO.
I would word it such "The car has no faults that I am aware of" or alternatively I would list all the faults that the car had.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum