Share
Go down
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1202
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Teeps you are arguing for arguments sake again!

I thought you had moved on from that!!!
avatar
Posts : 722
Join date : 2016-11-11
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:50 pm
I strongly doubt there are many people who sell a 2nd car knowing it’s spot on. Most people probably sell a car because they know there are bills on the way

Certainly years ago I know some of my cars ran better from warm, so I’d take them for a run before the buyer turned up...

“Sold as seen, no warranty given or implied” is still a phrase the AA suggest on their template for selling 2nd hand cars
avatar
Posts : 705
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Sorry Crix but stop it.

I disagree, that why I am arguing my point. Get over it.

Paul, I've never sold a car and not been open about it's condition. I've been had before and it sucks. It would by hypocritical of me to do it myself.
avatar
Posts : 640
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : More North than Crix, less North than Norway
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:14 pm
I'm thinking of selling the XK8 and looks like I have list like the feckin Yellow Pages to tell a potential buyer Laughing

However, FSH and 35k miles is a big plus, as is a mint engine & box... It's the other bits that need explaining. Rolling Eyes

However, I have no real wish to part with it, it's the fact I am broke and still off work that's killing me.
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:15 pm
Paul123 wrote:I strongly doubt there are many people who sell a 2nd car knowing it’s spot on. Most people probably sell a car because they know there are bills on the way

Certainly years ago I know some of my cars ran better from warm, so I’d take them for a run before the buyer turned up...

“Sold as seen, no warranty given or implied” is still a phrase the AA suggest on their template for selling 2nd hand cars

That is correct .. and its used to warn people / put them off from thinking otherwise ... but the law is the law.

I can write (and some agents do), that in tenant has to give 2 months notice to get out of a lettings property.

Law stats that its one month .... but most tenants don't realise ... but take it to court, and the contract is void.

TBH - I don't suppose I'll get anywhere with it, but even if I cause a small amount of stress to the seller ... I've done my job.
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm
Doo 1 wrote:I'm thinking of selling the XK8 and looks like I have  list like the feckin Yellow Pages to tell a potential buyer Laughing

However, FSH and 35k miles is a big plus, as is a mint engine & box... It's the other bits that need explaining. Rolling Eyes

However, I have no real wish to part with it, it's the fact I am broke and still off work that's killing me.

Auto-trader and the likes do some checking upfront now, and they will put markers and flags on your advert to report the fact its a Cat C (or whatever it is these days)
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1202
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:21 pm
Can we still be friends Teeps?
avatar
Posts : 705
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:24 pm
Yes but on this subject I'm oot.
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:50 pm
I'm going to lose my rag with this garage before long too ....... after my email calling them out about lack of effort ... they said 'drop the car in Tuesday night, and we'll test it cold start in the morning'.

Called them up a short time ago ... how is it going ???

'Well, we've got the car of course, and I'll be hooking up the computers today, so that its ready to test in the morning'.

WTF ????

Hook the computers up?? ... like a 30 second job, so yet again, my car has been sat on the street for another wasted day.

I blame you guys ... convincing me that buying an older car is not a problem .. and miles don't matter, etc, etc .... I should have known from Hughs last experience, that buying an older used car is a bad idea ... Your faults I tell you ... your faults **points at Crix, then Hugh, then Teeps, then all of you Mad **
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1202
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm
LK you plank.

You should just get a car which is so cheap that faults aren't so much of a concern!

Going backward is the way forward!
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:59 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:LK you plank.

You should just get a car which is so cheap that faults aren't so much of a concern!

Going backward is the way forward!

That's what I did with Audi - air con broken, but not bothered (except hot and ......) even if this car only cost £3000 - I'd still be mighty un-impressed with it going in to limp mode twice a day.

Mind ... I was talking to your Mrs last night, and she said you are constantly in limp mode ... Razz
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1202
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:10 pm
LK, i said cheap. £3,000 is not cheap!

And rest assured, your missus knows i dont go into limp mode, quite the opposite!
avatar
Posts : 59
Join date : 2016-11-17
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:57 pm
I must say LK, I'm cringing at the amount of money it must cost you to change your car on your insurance alone! Buy andi's jag!
avatar
Posts : 640
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : More North than Crix, less North than Norway
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm
Well, you can't blame me Lozza, I told you not to.... As for that garage, I already said once or twice to get your car the feck away from there.

They are not interested in your car by the sound of it. They can't pin point the fault which tells me they aren't looking at the right time or for the correct fault.

I'm convinced it's the temp sensor because it only does it when cold. An air leak or injector fault would show fault all day long.

So unless they take their hardware out to the car, the fault will disappear by the time they drive it into the garage.
avatar
Posts : 705
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:53 pm
I seem to recall mentioning concerns over the E90/92 3 litre LCI engine before you bought this...

"The 335i does have a few issues but then so does the later E90 330/325.
The only bullett proof ones were the early 258 bhp 330i and the 2.5 325i."

The problems like you are having are what put me off a later E90 4dr.
avatar
Posts : 692
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:08 am
LKsOK wrote:

I blame you guys ... convincing me that buying an older car is not a problem .. and miles don't matter, etc, etc .... I should have known from Hughs last experience, that buying an older used car is a bad idea ... Your faults I tell you ... your faults **points at Crix, then Hugh, then Teeps, then all of you Mad **


Which car?!!!
avatar
Admin
Posts : 695
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 45
Location : at home
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 pm
i farking love that lexus.......how the hell does a 5.0 manage 140 a year tax though??
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 am
hugh121 wrote:
LKsOK wrote:

I blame you guys ... convincing me that buying an older car is not a problem .. and miles don't matter, etc, etc .... I should have known from Hughs last experience, that buying an older used car is a bad idea ... Your faults I tell you ... your faults **points at Crix, then Hugh, then Teeps, then all of you Mad **


Which car?!!!

You’re first XF, when you had to push re the super charger, and then the suspension knocking issues.

Not knocking it, but I HATE HATE HATE car issues - especially as I rely so heavily for a car for work.
avatar
Posts : 705
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:22 am
LK, buy a 1 year old Hyundi or Kia.
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 am
Teeps wrote:LK, buy a 1 year old Hyundi or Kia.

It makes me think whether I should have just spent the extra in an M235i - ok, it would have been £6k more, but it’ll always be worth more, and should be less to run .
avatar
Posts : 692
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 am
LKsOK wrote:
hugh121 wrote:
LKsOK wrote:

I blame you guys ... convincing me that buying an older car is not a problem .. and miles don't matter, etc, etc .... I should have known from Hughs last experience, that buying an older used car is a bad idea ... Your faults I tell you ... your faults **points at Crix, then Hugh, then Teeps, then all of you Mad **


Which car?!!!

You’re first XF, when you had to push re the super charger, and then the suspension knocking issues.

Not knocking it, but I HATE HATE HATE car issues - especially as I rely so heavily for a car for work.


Ah, just wanted to clarify - could have been Saab 9-5, new timing chain, Avantime - new engine and about 12 coils, XFR (1) supercharger snout and knocking, XFR (2) new window regulator and water pump, or the manual to auto Pug 107. Other than the coils, all done and paid for by the traders.

The only one I bought privately was the XF SV8 - no niggles or nasty shocks with that one!

Now, back to your problem. You have no comeback as you bought it privately. You have scruples (astonishing for an estate agent!!), so you wouldn't want to sell it privately, and your rather pi55ed that the seller did. Your BMW "Specialist" leave your car on the road at night, and don't seem to have a clue what's wrong with it - either that or they're dragging it out so that you give in and pay a lot of money for a simple fix.

So, find another specialist - I expect you've been on some BMW forum and asked for recommendations? Accept it will cost money to sort - it may not be as much as you think. It could even be that to travel out of town may well save you more than the balls ache of the inconvenience. You made some money on the Mazda - fantastic - look at it as the way to sort your current car.

You have already had the wheels done on the BMW - they look great; now get that bloody engine sorted and enjoy the car! You should have some money left over from the purchase price, us that to sort out problems that are inevitable in the future. Bits wear out; you are likely to have your knees or hips replaced in the future, it's the ways things are.

As for relying heavily on a car at work - you have a second car, use it when you have to, because once you've found the right car, and it's running properly, there are few better pleasures in life. It's why we all bother typing stuff on here!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the local tip (clean cardboard!) in the Jag - time to use those hard earned 500 horses.......
avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 am
Thanks mate.

Yeah, the money side doesn’t worry me too much - you either buy new and lose everything in depreciation, or you go older, and spend a bit on maintenance .... whilst it’s not that new, it’s only done 46k Miles, so long term I am sure it’s got a lot more life it it.

Sold the Audi now, and made £600 on it, so again, happy to throw that in to the pot, it’s just the getting it sorted issue.

I think you are right - stop wasting my time with this specialist .... he definately knows his stuff, but I think he is just too busy to care.
avatar
Posts : 692
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 am
LKsOK wrote:Thanks mate.

Yeah, the money side doesn’t worry me too much - you either buy new and lose everything in depreciation, or you go older, and spend a bit on maintenance .... whilst it’s not that new, it’s only done 46k Miles, so long term I am sure it’s got a lot more life it it.

Sold the Audi now, and made £600 on it, so again, happy to throw that in to the pot, it’s just the getting it sorted issue.

I think you are right - stop wasting my time with this specialist .... he definately knows his stuff, but I think he is just too busy to care.


Sorry old boy - maybe my response was a little strong! I had found you really have to do the research on specialists - there's a local Smart specialist. His stock response to most issues is that he's now come across it before. The Brabus has a problem with the passenger door handle. A quick Google and there are loads of cases - even videos of how to change them over. For him not to have come across it is most strange!!!

avatar
Posts : 1455
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:22 am
Ah mate - not too strong.

Correct.

My luck the BMW starts going wrong as soon as i’ve sold the Audi Laughing
avatar
Admin
Posts : 695
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 45
Location : at home
View user profile

Re: The search for a new car

on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 pm
i still love that lexus, not seen any on the road!
Sponsored content

Re: The search for a new car

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum