Go down
View user profile

Brakes...

on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 pm
Noticed that under heavy braking there is a bit of judder so I had a look at the discs. Both front and rear are suffering the effects of a low milage car that over the last few years has been used for occasional long runs but been stood the rest of the time. Rust on the braking surface that would have to be skimmed off. At £25 a corner plus new pads this aint cheap and given they look quite old I'm going to replace the lot.The big question is how much to pay. Budget ones start at about £20 a disc but prices go up to well north of £80.
Anyone faced this dilema before and what did yoi go for in the end?
View user profile

Re: Brakes...

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:34 am
I think last time the discs needed doing on the Qashqai they fitted budget eicher ones. They’ve been fine

From memory the pads were non budget which was the recommendation, cheaper discs, better pads
View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:15 am
For road use - than sounds about right - but of course, maybe worth getting 1 step up from the cheapest discs - thery’ll outlast your ownership of the car, so you don’t want issues with warping, or uneven brakes — buy sheet - buy twice
View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:54 am
Luckily my new XF had pads and discs about 1500 miles ago. They are not cheap.

I think Jag fitted them - about £1200 I think!

View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:39 am
Yes, genuine front pads for my car are £120 IIRC.
It's not helped by the fact that BMW fitted bigger brakes to the 330i which makes them a good chunk more expensive than for any of the smaller engined 3 series.
I can get ATE discs and pads for about £250. Eicher would be cheaper but ATE supply parts to a lot of manufacturers inc BMW and the discs are coated so the non braking surfaces won't rust.
View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 am
Are you fitting them yourself?

View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:26 am
Yes. Fitted plenty of sets of discs and pads in my time. Rears are a bit more complicated than fronts due to having separate handbrake shoes.
View user profile

on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 am

Wow you are good.

I just bought a better jack and a beefy wrench for changing the wheels / winter summer. Would like to be able to do more work myself.

View user profile

on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm
I always first remove the discs and check the rust between them and the mating face of the hub.

What happens is rust builds up in uneven patches between the mating faces and the result is a wobbly disc under hard braking.

I would get a grinder with a wire brush and attack the inner face of the disc and the mating face on the hub and your problem should be solved....

Speaking from years of experience.

The reason new discs are fine is because most decent mechanics will give the hub a quick rub down to remove rust.

However, an added bonus (not) is if the front axle (or lower wishbone) bushes are shot as this will also exacerbate the harmonic resonance (vibration) and amplify it somewhat, resulting in a judder.

But mostly it's rusty hubs......
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum