Go down
Admin
View user profile

Happenings

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 am
Various recent car-related happenings...

So, recently i've sat in a new Peugeot 5008 (the 5008 is the 7 seat version of the 3008, which you see everywhere on the roads) to experience the i-cockpit - and i-likeit! Peugeot have been very clever (they are making a profit again btw!) - the cars have got new style about them inside and out - anyway - the small steering wheel stuff sits fine with me. Anyway, the interior is very cool and swooshy and flash - BUT! When you start to poke and prod....it's still quite cheap! So i'm both impressed yet disappointed - BUT - you can see that it's working for them. They are giving the main touch points the fancy bits...and the rest, not...and making the whole thing look cool with a mix of different textures and stuff. I like it a lot. Plus it's got the cool kinda...graphicy dials display. (Citroen are doing this too - but like...(and i remember reading about this - they are like..positioned a bit lower down, so more obviously cheap inside)

What else...

Well, there's a little Mazda 2 come in which i want...but it's very tatty inside and out. This means a) it'll be cheaper than normal.
BUT - the new boss of the dealers side is very strict (rightly so, for the business, wrongly so for me being able to get cheap cars!). The '2 - i had a little go and it's a great little handling thing. It feels similar to the Suzuki Swift of that era (2005-2010ish) which just felt 'right' when you drive them, if a little dated / unrefined now.

There's also the prospect of a trade in 2013 C4 1.6 HDi on the table......its not an interesting car...but i could potentially get it relatively cheaply - and the cheapness/bargain is always what does it for me, sometimes regardless of the car! If this happens, it would mean the 107 would finally have to go..and we'd have 2011 and 2013 cars! Get us!!!!???!

But it's by no means confirmed.

Erm...what else.

Back soon.
View user profile

Re: Happenings

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 am
A message was sent out at work last week saying some (if not all) future engine developments for Peugeot will be done in Russelheim, Germany (where they currently develop Vauxhall/Opel engines) - should mean some good engines for future Peugeots, now they're capitalising on their recent acquisition's assets. Still don't like what they're doing to the Vauxhall/Opel range, though - culling models and introducing badge-engineered SUVs. I think the 3008 and Grandland X are the same underneath, with the Peugeots getting the plusher interiors. Peugeot and Vauxhall dealerships are also starting to merge.

Haven't really had any interesting P/Xs come in of late. Sad
View user profile

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:10 pm
You need to look for something more interesting. These Citroens, Peugeots etc are all well and good but they're not exactly exciting cars. You deserve better.

My car related news.
Noticed that the front tyres on the BMW were wearing a little more on the inner edges and at higher speeds it didn't feel as planted at it should. Had the wheel alignment checked and adjusted and it's a lot better.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 pm
Pleased that was fixed for you Teeps.

FF - times have to change dude! If PSA can get the balance right...they could still end up with a good range of cars. There will be pain and jobs lost, no doubt (maybe from both sides). I hope you aren't affected.
But that Tavares guy at PSA is doing something right as Peugeot / Citroen are now making a profit again so will hopefully do the same for Opel in time.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:13 pm
Fingers crossed! I don't think Vauxhall have made a profit since something like 1999.

It was a shame to lose the Zafira - really nice and practical 7-seater. The Cascada was nice enough but barely sold.

The Corsa has just been updated - a consistent best-seller so they need to be careful when making changes there. The Astras and Insignias are both very competent and strong contenders in their segment - Peugeot would probably be best off re-badging those as Peugeots instead of vice-versa.

Next thing they need to do - bring back the 605! Damn those things were comfortable. Wouldn't mind one as an 'old and rare but kind of interesting' daily driver. Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 pm
Yes, me too! But lets be honest, nobody would buy them! They need to make cars that people are gonna buy.

I gather that the next Insignia will be on the 508 platform? (PS The new 508 is a lovely looking thing!)

As you say, the Grandland X (stupid name but i think its decent looking car) is already shared with the 3008 and the Crossland X is the same as the C3 Aircross.

Actually FF - has the Crossland X replaced the Mokka X? I consider them to be a similar sized vehicle.

SO PSA and GM were already kinda...in bed together beore the takeover.

So, we can assume that...in the next 2-3 years:

Corsa / C3 / 208 will be the same platform

C4/308/Astra " " (but i dont know if there's gonna be another C4)

C5/508/Insignia (but i dont know if there's gonna be another C5)

Crossland X / C3 Aircross

Grandland X / 3008 / C5 Aircross (i think)

Erm...and no doubt some vans which is already the case?

However...to complicate matters - the C1/108 is partnered with Toyota Aygo....and the van things are PSA/Toyota at the moment.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:08 pm
Mokka X is still separate to the Crossland X but is selling well.

There could be some interesting vehicles in the future if they strike a decent balance between PSA and Vauxhall/Opel - the 508 and Insignia both look really good. They'll probably be on my list of possibilities in 15 years or so when their values drop to below a grand, lol.

The Vauxhall vans currently are rebadged Renaults and Fiats, although I'm sure I read somewhere that the Renault partnership was coming to an end?
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm
I think it would be wise for Opel/Vauxhall to join up on the van side of things too...BUT! That might be a while off...as the current Relay / ProAce / Expert are a combo.

Speaking of combos...

Here's another PSA Pre-takeover join up:

https://www.vanman.co.uk/new-small-vans-revealed
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:28 pm
i had 2 poo's today, thats all i have for 'happenings'....thanks

oh no wait......i have a car related item.......my work van is in for repair at the mo (someone side swiped it in a car park)......and i have a courtesy car, its a brand new (it had 14 miles on the clock) Skoda Fabia, its the 1.0mpi (3 cylinder jobby) and it gets to 60 mph in 33 hours

its farking slow....i mean REEEEEAAALLLLLY slow, i think i saw that it was 60ps......my bloody transit connect is 115.....oh and the suspension is like riding inside a jelly

thank you
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:05 pm
400 miles in now with the Sloda labia (my name for it)....hills are an issue, i mean a slight gradient is an issue!..........seriously, it doesn't have the gusto to do anything in any gear......pulling away from junctions is a farking gamble, caaahnt ridden shit box
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:08 pm
also, even though the little three cylnder engine sounds kinda cool when you rev it........it wobbles at idle

dafuq?
View user profile

on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm
3 cylinders does not make for a smooth engine.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:03 pm
3 cyinders makes for a much more interesting engine (generally) than 4.

But yes, they sometimes tremble and the flywheel effect can be pronounced. Usually, they sound a lot nicer/different than 4's, thats a plus.
View user profile

on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm
3 cylinders sound like a mini 911 ... Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:23 pm
i have another 3 cylinder being delivered tomorrow morning, a Kia Ceed GT-Line, it has a lot more oomph though with 118 BHP from a 3cyl turbo, review to follow (its going to Ireland for a week)
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:10 am
Aforementioned vehicle update - the C4 has gone to a trader.

The Mazda 2 is still here...but it's manky (think LOTS of horrible dog hairs in the back...and many remaining hairs and dog smell even after a valet)

I think i will sit tight for now.

Always fancying a change though. But it has to be a bargain. It absolutely has to be a bargain to fit with me.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum