Go down
Admin
View user profile

Findings..

on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 pm
Made these discoveries the other day and forgot to let you know:

Sat in a trade in 2010 Punto Evo the other day. Whilst the exterior had changed very little from the pretty 2005ish Grande Punto - the interior was much improved. I found it rather a nice place to sit, better than I was expecting.

Another thing I noticed - the electric motors that adjusted the mirrors produced absolutely no sound whatsoever! This is extremely usual. Try it in your car, if so equipped. Listen carefully. You'll likely hear a noise. There was no sound in the GPE!
View user profile

Re: Findings..

on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 pm
Two points in return.

1. I have driven (and owned) many a Punto over the years, and I love them.
The most fun was a hire car in Italy.
The last one was a late model, which was a loan car, and I did lots of miles in, and it punched way way above its weight.

2. I will check that - the zafira ones I know make a noise, and the passenger mirror on the BM angles down automatically when reversing, but I couldn’t say I’ve ever heard it make a noise.
View user profile

on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 pm
Mirror motors make a noise.
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 am
On George, the mirror motor noise is not perceptible. But then, the motors that switch the interior fan flaps (HEVAC) make no noise either!

The ABS pump does make a noise as does the High/Low gear switch motor when selecting between High and low ratio.

The AC fan motors are barely perceptible, but if you stand at the front you can hear a faint whirr. The AC fans on the XK8 are so silent, the only suggestion they have come on is a momentary dip in revs!

The electric mirrors, seats and interior motors make no sound in the XK8, but at higher speed the interior fans are noticeable. The petrol flap release is a distinct wrrrp though...
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:46 am
In the Impreza - there are so many noises from the air conditioning clicking in an out it's incredible. I wasn't hearing them this morning driving to work at 6 am - I turned the air con down a bit so I could enjoy the noises once again.

I'll have to try the electric mirrors I don't remember if there was a noise or not.

Petrol flap feels manual I pull the trigger and I can like feel when it opens. I think that's a good point.

I drove a Punto from Manchester to somewhere out west in London for a job interview then all the way back in the same day. It was great car - much better than a Fiesta of similar age.

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:40 am
Teeps - acknowledged - im aware a noise will be made....it's just...it's nigh on imperceptible from inside the car (this is with engine off by the way), which i found very suprsing as i wouldn't have thought a Punto would have anything more than the most very basic of elec mirror motors! Perhaps it has...but the installation is amazing...or something.

Other members - thank you for your comments on your motor sounds.

Ref other sounds - the air con system is a little bit noisy on the Picasso - but it's not the initial switching on of the pump (some cars CLONK loudly when it engages) the Picasso is a noticable click.. But when the air con is running, you get a wrraiiiiiingy slight whine through into the interior. It's not bad and is not really noticable when driving other than low speeds, but it would suggest to me that some parts are worn. It's been so nice to have it working though in this extended heat spell weve had! It can't remember having so much warm weather (ie, a summer!) for years! Like...literally....years!
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 pm
Dear all

Thank you for your posts, and I wish to write back in relation to the findings on my BMW 330i convertible.

In the interests of being fair and transparent, it is worth noting that at the time of testing, the weather was dry and sunny, with a light South Westerly breeze, and that within the car, I had the engine on, windows down, and roof up.

I can report that at the time of the test, that there could be a very slight noise made from the mirror motor.

I would aliken the level of noise to be similar to that of a slight whisper.

Of course, I shall continue to conduct these tests on an hourly basis, and in differing weather conditions.

Good luck with your testing methods, and I look forward to enlightening you when we have a breakthrough moment.

Its one small step for man, but one giant leap for mirror motor kind.
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 pm
The wing mirror on the Jag are actually powered by a pair of 3L V6 Turbo engines.

<possibly a fib>

View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
hugh121 wrote:The wing mirror on the Jag are actually powered by a pair of 3L V6 Turbo engines.

<possibly a fib>

..... which I am contemplating having chipped for more power
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:06 pm
LKsOK wrote:
hugh121 wrote:The wing mirror on the Jag are actually powered by a pair of 3L V6 Turbo engines.

<possibly a fib>

To make the electric mirrors even quicker?

View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 pm
LKsOK wrote:

<possibly a fib>

View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm
hugh121 wrote:
LKsOK wrote:

<possibly a fib>

Jaaaaaggggg
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 pm
LK....are you mocking me??!!!
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:LK....are you mocking me??!!!

No mate Question
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 am
I would understand if you did....i mean....lets have a look at my post..talking about the sound an electric mirror motor does or doesn't make.

What a sad case i am! But yeah, deal with it!
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:04 pm
I can today advise that the mirror motor is the 2015 Kia Sportage is also extremely quiet.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum