Go down
View user profile

Feasibility Study....

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm
My sister is going to France on Sunday. A campsite near Paris to be exact.

Anyhoo, it's 184 miles from Dunkirk, which gave me an idea... What if I jumped on the bike, came to England, stayed over a night with someone or even a cheap hotel.

So, Inverness to Sunderland (for instance) aprox 300 miles. Sunderland to Dover 350 miles. Dover to Dunkirk on a big boat for 25 quid one way (55 flexi) and 180 miles to
the camp site Very Happy

Or do Dover to Calais, whatever, no biggee as it's about 7 miles less.

So, would it be feasible to cover 350 miles on the bike on motorways & dual carriageways? I imagine an average speed of 50mph, but early mornings might be a better chance of sustained 70mph, making the journey time shorter.

I know the bike is capable, but I would do an oil & filter service before leaving. It's myself I'm wondering about. I know it's hard going up here with all the little villages and temporary traffic lights and bendy twisty slowing down speeding up roads. I just wondered if the motorways & dual carriageway route is less tiring.

Thoughts...
View user profile

Re: Feasibility Study....

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:47 pm
Do you to do an oil change before a 350 mile ride? It's not the Paris Dakar rally.
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 pm
Teeps wrote:Do you to do an oil change before a 350 mile ride? It's not the Paris Dakar rally.

Pete, did you read the whole post?

The total miles to the camp site is in excess of 850 miles, then same back, meaning a total of 1700+ miles Wink

Would you not do a service before setting off on a long journey like that?
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm
Is it possible ?? Yes.

Is it a good idea ?? No

Could be done, but very dangerous (particularly if the weather changes), and very painful.

Sitting still in one position on a bike for that amount of time is not a good idea .. ever seen Top Gear - Hammond rides that old black bike from London to Edinburgh (from memory)
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm
Sounds like a job for George
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 pm
Doo, no I wouldn't. Unless it was due a service during that period. What is the service interval?
That kind of long distance ride isn't going to ne especially hard on the oil as it will spend the vast majority of the time at a running temp.
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:49 pm
Paul123 wrote:Sounds like a job for George

Yeah, but no! George is awesome in every way, but the bike gives you freedom! Not in a William Wallace stylee, but you don't get stuck the same as you do in a car, it's cheaper per mile to run and cheaper on the ferry.

LK, my bike is astoundingly dry in the rain when going forwards. It's when you stop that the shit hits the fan,, or more like the rain hits everything. The wide fairing and tall screen keep 98% of it away. There is the odd drip or a bit of a whoosh when passing trucks, but otherwise It is great. The only thing I would add is an Air Hawk seat Cool  Keep the old butt cheeks from pins & needles Arrow

When coming from Aberdeen along the A96, I can be home in less than 2hrs and that's 101 miles so imagine dual carriageways & motorways, weaving past Audi w@nkers on the M25 car park Laughing
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm
1700+ miles on a moped?......you'ld have to be fuckingbonkers
View user profile

on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm
Spot wrote:1700+ miles on a moped?......you'ld have to be fuckingbonkers

.... you’ve just missed him - he’s gone Smile
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:39 am
LKsOK wrote:
Spot wrote:1700+ miles on a moped?......you'ld have to be fuckingbonkers

.... you’ve just missed him - he’s gone Smile

I shant even rise to that jibe Spotzilla Razz

Just missed a splatting today. Was on the Dualler, lane 2 approaching an on/off to North Kessock (you know it spot) red car in front, black car behind me. For some obscure reason the red car decided to move into lane 1 while passing the acceleration lane from North Kessock onto the A9. But the acceleration lane was occupied by a stationary white car. White car was right at the end. Land Rover Defender with a trailer switched from lane one to lane two just as red car was doing the opposite.

Anyway, super twat in white car decided right there and then to pull into lane one at such low speed it could have been being pushed!!!! As all this was happening, I was aware it was going to go pear shaped so I applied the brakes. In the dash cam footage you can see the gap between me & the red car getting wider as I brake and then it happens... White car is on live lane at approx 5mph, red car is almost fully in lane one and starting to brake. Black car behind me is applying full brakes and I can hear the squeal of tortured tyres from him and the red car. All the while I am wondering which one is going to twat me??

If I do fully stop, the black car could hit me from behind. If I don't, the red car will lose control and I have to lean hard, but have scrubbed off so much speed...

I see where it's going, so lean right and pull up alongside the red car, ready to accelerate away to avoid being hit form behind. Lucky everyone is on the ball, just and I am safe & well.

But all the while, the utter knob in the white car dribbles onto the A9 and doddles off as if nothing had happened Shocked

My take on it is the red car should have been aware of the junction. But the white car had stopped at the end of the acceleration lane so should have simply waited there as it was still a give way and his exit was blocked (seeing as how he was stationary anyway).

Me? I peeped at the red car once was all started moving again and gave her the thumbs up asking if she was ok? She gave me the thumbs up showing she was shaken but otherwise fine.

My question is, seeing as how the white car had already stopped at the end of the lane, within the broken white lines (which suggested it's a give way) then it should have done just that. It was the equivalent of running a give way sign and almost causing a crash. Careless or undue care.

Thoughts?
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 am
My brain has just exploded.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 am
But i'm pleased you are OK.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am
Do you have the footage?
View user profile

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 pm
Teeps wrote:Do you have the footage?

Ask Spot. The current argument is who was wrong?

Red car, for some reason, decided to move from lane 2 to lane 1.

All the while, white car has STOPPED at the end of the acceleration lane, so was stationary behind the dashed white lines.

As red car changes lane, white car decided that was an epic time to pull into a live lane from stationary.

I say white car is at fault for pulling into a live lane from stationary! I mean, who the fark is that stupid when cars are flashing past at 70mph.

I don't get why the red car switched lanes at that time, but the white car is a knob!
View user profile

on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:29 pm
It's the hard mountain that matters. Hard mountain every day.

View user profile

on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:35 pm
Ok, the ride is off... (not that it was ever on) due to time constraints.

Going to Lithuania soon for all the medical stuff so few things to sort out.

Anyhoo, got a timing belt kit to order for the Alto then fitting it. That'll be hilarious Rolling Eyes
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:23 pm
Doo 1 wrote:
Teeps wrote:Do you have the footage?

Ask Spot. The current argument is who was wrong?

i disagreed with Doo, the twat in lane 2 pulled back in to the first lane unnecessarily just as a car was trying to join the carriageway,.
View user profile

on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:32 pm
Be honest? was Doo driving like a bit of a bellend too?
View user profile

on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:40 am
Teeps wrote:Be honest? was Doo driving like a bit of a bellend too?

No U turns were executed during this video Wink

I was riding, not driving.

Now while Spot maintains the red car changed lanes, I cannot dispute that fact.

He states the red car changed lanes while the white car was trying to join the carriageway....

My camera is mounted low down whereas my eyes are higher up. I saw the white car "stopped" at the end of the acceleration lane, watched as the red car changed lanes in front of me and knew I had to slow down very quickly. The white car moved, very slowly into the live lane.

Now call me a caaahnt, but would anyone on here decide that the layby they are stopped in is shite and they need to rejoin the dual carriageway so will pull into a live lane of traffic, forcing all in lane one to suddenly stop?

No? Didn't think so.

In effect THAT is what happened.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum