Share
Go down
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Days like these

on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm
Evening all. This afternoon I took the Brabus to a Smart specialist in Shepton Mallet, about 25 miles away. It involves driving up over the Mendips (Burrington Combe), a series of long straight (and wide) B roads up over the hills. There are some bends and it's a great run out for the car. Obviously the Smart in this case.

I drove it yesterday, with the wife in the passenger seat, but today it really was GREAT motoring! A couple of over takes, and then sitting in behind a Nissan 360Z for a couple of miles - ok he wasn't trying that hard, but it kept up rather well! The Brabus weighs in at just under 800kg, with 100 bhp. I spoke to the specialist about a new door handle it needs, but also a possible remap......

This would increase the BHP to about 125 and the toque increase would be about 20% also. Tempting, but even as it is it's a great little car. Pushing it into the bends is such fun, once you get over the feeling of toppling over!!!

This evening I took the Jag out for a spin - late evening sun and a mixed drive of motorway, A and B road. Bloody hell it's really very good indeed - the performance is brilliant. 30-70 is so smooth and mind numbingly swift.


So, if I go away for a couple of days, what do I take? I also took a few pics with a new lens today. Happy holidays!



avatar
Posts : 1940
Join date : 2016-11-13
Location : London / Surrey
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 pm
Only you know the roads well enough to decide .... but i’d show the Smart a bit of love I think.

The Smart reminds me of the Lotus - not the fastest, not the most comfortable, not the most refined, etc, etc but for shear fun - all the better for it.
avatar
Posts : 973
Join date : 2016-11-11
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:20 am
How much of the power increase is due to the new handle?

Nice photos, suggest to the unhappy couple to be they squash into the smart not the jaaaaaaag
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 am
Power increase 1 BHP (Break Handle Power!).

I did suggest the Smart to the couple, but they're not planning any kids for the time being!

avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 am
LKsOK wrote:Only you know the roads well enough to decide .... but i’d show the Smart a bit of love I think.

The Smart reminds me of the Lotus - not the fastest, not the most comfortable, not the most refined, etc, etc but for shear fun - all the better for it.


I feel the Lotus would be way more fun. That said the Smart makes you smile - most owners wave to one another, and the Brabus gets knowing nods!

avatar
Posts : 890
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : More North than Crix, less North than Norway
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 pm
Out of all our cars, my wife's Citroen C4 is the best on the twisties! It is low enough to be squat and a wheel right into the corners mean it tracks beautifully. Combined with the 110bhp from the 1.6hdi sx lump with it's flappy paddles and 16 inch alloys, it makes for a smooth progressive run.

It's hardly blisteringly quick through the gears in auto or manual (flappy paddle shift is slow, so hoof it, revs up, flick the upshift at the same time as you lift off your foot & put it back down, by the time you do that it's found the gear, collected it, bundled it in and your away again with hardly any delay...), but it's linear and you can feel the urge of this little engine pulling you along with typical French gusto Cool

I can zip through the tightest of bends on the verge of losing the back end, but this forgiving little car shakes it's ass like a donkey annoyed by flies and she's off again.

I bet I would thrash your half a car Huge, the C4 is at least 30 feet less tall than that thing Razz Laughing

Get it up here and lets Dingwall to Alness. Cracking bit of road. Just enough twisties to have a laugh and a couple of long straights that test the acceleration. If you don't overtake immediately, there's always some muppet coming the other way to spoil any chances No
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:54 pm
Doo 1 wrote:

I bet I would thrash your half a car Huge, the C4 is at least 30 feet less tall than that thing Razz Laughing



The Smart corners surprisingly well - all the weight (including then engine) is low down. I expect it would outpace the C4, AND around the twists, unless of course it was in the snow!!!!!

avatar
Admin
Posts : 870
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 45
Location : at home
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 pm
i would guarantee at 100hp and 800kg, it would trounce the C4!
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 pm
Spot wrote:i would guarantee at 100hp and 800kg, it would trounce the C4!


920kg, including me!!!

avatar
Posts : 890
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : More North than Crix, less North than Norway
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 pm
hugh121 wrote:
Doo 1 wrote:

I bet I would thrash your half a car Huge, the C4 is at least 30 feet less tall than that thing Razz Laughing



The Smart corners surprisingly well - all the weight (including then engine) is low down. I expect it would outpace the C4, AND around the twists, unless of course it was in the snow!!!!!


ooooh a dig and no snow shovel in sight Embarassed

I bet it would "not" beat the wee Citroen. It weighs 1050Kg and has a diesel with low down torque belting out 110bhp.

I would love a challenge huge, you'd be surprised at the nimble sure footed ability. I know I was! The Range Rover is Jabba the Hut in comparison clown
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 pm
Doo 1 wrote:
hugh121 wrote:
Doo 1 wrote:

I bet I would thrash your half a car Huge, the C4 is at least 30 feet less tall than that thing Razz Laughing



The Smart corners surprisingly well - all the weight (including then engine) is low down. I expect it would outpace the C4, AND around the twists, unless of course it was in the snow!!!!!


ooooh a dig and no snow shovel in sight Embarassed

I bet it would "not" beat the wee Citroen. It weighs 1050Kg and has a diesel with low down torque belting out 110bhp.

I would love a challenge huge, you'd be surprised at the nimble sure footed ability. I know I was! The Range Rover is Jabba the Hut in comparison clown

No dig old boy!

Travelling to Inverness, I feel the Jag would be a better option. You'd hear me as far away as Lancaster!!

avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 pm
My money would be on the smart. Turbo charged so plenty of mid range torque and no heavy diesel lump up front.
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 am
Teeps wrote:My money would be on the smart. Turbo charged so plenty of mid range torque and no heavy diesel lump up front.  

The Smart has no lump up front at all!

avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:23 am
Citroen has a fair bit more top end but is over a second slower to 60. I suspect a lot depends on the road.
According to this link C4 weighs more like 1300kg.
https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=145827
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:59 am
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:02 am
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1918
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am
Andoo - the C4 does not weigh 1050kg! It's more like 1280kg according to my sources.

The figures would suggest the Smart would be quicker - but.....read on... i haven't finished yet -

What i need to say is - Hugh - if you were ever to have some kind of duel with Andi - DON'T - because - and i mean this is the best possible way - Andi just absolutely goes for it. I mean...really goes for it.

Andoo - i do not mean that in a bad way - but what i mean is - on roads Andoo knows....almost irrespective of the car he's in....he will launch it and will not be beaten easily!

Obviously the XFR would be away - but i know Andoo a little.....and even if Andoo was in the Alto.....you'd still see him popping up in your rear view mirror trying to hand on, regardless of the laws of physics!
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am
I would not race on the public road. Other than a Focus RS the other week from some lights. Not really a race as such; just wanted to make a little noise...

avatar
Admin
Posts : 1918
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am
I find the current Focus RS very underwhelming. I'm sure it's a great car but it doens't look good enough, doesn't stand out on the road.
avatar
Posts : 993
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Focus RS is ok. I think it stands out plenty to be honest. If it's anything like the last one it isn't a car for me. Suspension is far too hard.

I have had a drag race with a Mk1 Octavia VRS but I wouldn't race any more than that any more. It always comes down to who is willing to take the biggest risks and it's not just your life you're risking.
avatar
Posts : 985
Join date : 2016-11-10
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:42 pm
Teeps wrote:Focus RS is ok. I think it stands out plenty to be honest. If it's anything like the last one it isn't a car for me. Suspension is far too hard.

I have had a drag race with a Mk1 Octavia VRS but I wouldn't race any more than that any more. It always comes down to who is willing to take the biggest risks and it's not just your life you're risking.


Indeed Sir. Safety first.
avatar
Admin
Posts : 1918
Join date : 2016-11-14
Location : Nowwf
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:46 pm
The previous Focus RS looked really good IMO. Like a rally car for the road. The current one to me doesn't look any better than the ST.

Whereas the new Civic Type R - very controversial yes...but it has a REAL road presence (as did the previous, also controversial one IMO

And yes, safety first.

I have had races in the past - but it's all silly stuff - like...too young to know better. It was only ever me in my renault 5 (or maybe the fiesta) against friends in there Minis or 106s etc. Silightly stupid thinking back, did nearly lose it on occasion on some back roads. Foolish. (although we never did this in residential areas)

Much more sensible now.....(not that i was ever far from sensible to be honest)
avatar
Posts : 890
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : More North than Crix, less North than Norway
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:37 pm
MegaCrixel wrote:Andoo - the C4 does not weigh 1050kg! It's more like 1280kg according to my sources.

The figures would suggest the Smart would be quicker - but.....read on... i haven't finished yet -

What i need to say is - Hugh - if you were ever to have some kind of duel with Andi - DON'T - because - and i mean this is the best possible way - Andi just absolutely goes for it. I mean...really goes for it.

Andoo - i do not mean that in a bad way - but what i mean is - on roads Andoo knows....almost irrespective of the car he's in....he will launch it and will not be beaten easily!

Obviously the XFR would be away - but i know Andoo a little.....and even if Andoo was in the Alto.....you'd still see him popping up in your rear view mirror trying to hand on, regardless of the laws of physics!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
avatar
Posts : 890
Join date : 2016-11-10
Location : More North than Crix, less North than Norway
View user profile

Re: Days like these

on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:38 pm
Ye canna beat the laws o' physics Jim!

Aw see you Jimmy.... Laughing Laughing
Sponsored content

Re: Days like these

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum